Got this 1990 classic to restore

Took it out for the first shadedown ride, all good until after about an hour the right hand gear lever snapped in two, I guess it is 30 year old plastic, so had to finish the rest of the return ride stuck in first gear. Have found a pair of alloy replacements with cables on ebay for just over a tenner posted. Legs like jelly and a sore arse, that saddle is like a razor!

Keep up the good work!

Still waiting for the new gear levers and cables to arrive; whilst waiting I have lowered the seat a fraction and raised the bars to hopefully improve the riding comfort.

That’s the first hurdle over- seat post not seized! Next will be the bottom bracket. After that it should be plain sailing. I’ve just fully stripped cleaned and refurbished three bikes, it’s a nice job to fill in the time these days. I was a bit surprised at the state of the bottom brackets on all of them, they felt ok at the crank but one cranks were off the bearings were clearly on their way out.

Here we go - this is the Peugeot I was working on.

It was a light resto (so the alloy got polished, but I left the paintwork as is).

Mechanically I went through it top to bottom, replacing consumables, greasing, lubricating etc. It's had new chain, cassette, hoods, cable inners and outers, blocks, tape and those lovely amber walled tyres.

Very satisfying this morning to take it out for a test ride, and fine tune all the cable tensions. Wow, it's an exceptionally smooth ride.

I agree with Greenman, it's a nice thing to do at the moment - quite therapeutic.

Attachments

• IMG_4187.JPG
    IMG_4187.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_4188.JPG
    IMG_4188.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_4189.JPG
    IMG_4189.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 222
That must be a bit old, I think Peugeot were early adopters of all-welded steel frames. It looks in great condition but you know you should have steel toe clips!

That must be a bit old, I think Peugeot were early adopters of all-welded steel frames. It looks in great condition but you know you should have steel toe clips!

Indeed they were - this is one of their last hand brazed frames, and so used the better steel (Carbolite in this case).

I do have some steel toe clips, but they're badly corroded. Not sure whether I can bring them back as the chrome's pitted. But you're right... those nylon ones just ain't fittin'.

Try a Brookes leather saddle on it. Takes a fair while to break in but when they are.....lovely

It's fascinating how bike specs have changed. Look at that, twin chain rings that are incredibly similar in size. Nothing like a modern compact. All old bikes are like that and they couldn't all have been flat track racers - I don't know how people got up hills!

Are you sure? That crankset looks to be a very modern 50/36 compact to me. The bike is running what looks to be Campagnolo 10-speed so has certainly been modernised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure? That crankset looks to be a very modern 50/36 compact to me. The bike is running what looks to be Campagnolo 10-speed so has certainly been modernised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends which bike you're looking at. The red Partington is my commuter, so has been modernised with lots of bits to make it better for the job.

The white Peugeot has had a special cassette (actually, a 'freewheel' rather than a cassette, on a bike that age) fitted - the original unit has a close grouping with a max size of 22 teeth. The Partington's gearing was very similar when I got it.

Snoots' bike is a bit more recent and appears to have more modern ratios.

Attachments

• IMG_4187a.JPG
    IMG_4187a.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 185
Sorry for taking this a bit off-topic.

Snoots, how's your bike coming along?

What progress??

Still waiting for the new gear levers and cables, the right hand gear lever snapped on the shake down ride. I put this down to 30 year old plastics and the fact that I was having to put a lot of pressure on the lever probably due to the old cables even though I'd cleaned them up. As soon as they arrive and I have fitted them I'll update but in the meantime continue going off topic, lovely Peugeot Paul.

I've had this bike for over 50 years and it was secondhand then but it has to be one of my favourite Christmas presents. It was gathering rust in my Mum's garden for years totally neglected due to me becoming old enough to drive.

My brother in law, a keen cyclist, took it down to Canterbury with the intention of doing it up but again it was left abandoned, and on it's way to the tip when I took it back under my wing.

It's a Dawes of some sort and the colour scheme was my design back in the late sixties. It originally had Campagnola gears that have been replaced by some cheap plastic rear mech I've still got the original lever and it still has it's Brooks saddle and the crank. It's surprisingly light for a steel frame and the forks are oval shaped.

I don't know how old it is or the model. I have the frame number but apparently Dawes didn't keep any records of what numbers were what bike.

Attachments

• 20200425_170331.jpg
    20200425_170331.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 20200425_144240.jpg
    20200425_144240.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 20200425_144146.jpg
    20200425_144146.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200425_143908.jpg
    20200425_143908.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200425_143454.jpg
    20200425_143454.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 210
Noooo. Change those brake blocks. They’ll be hard as iron and disintegrate at the bottom of the first quick downhill.

Snoots - it's been a while, let's have an update!

In the meantime I acquired this old Italian lady. She's an '89 model and rides beautifully. These old classics used to be just a bit of fun for me, something to muck around with while I did my miles on 'proper' bikes, but this Bottecchia has become my absolute go-to bike. It's light, it's responsive, it's comfortable and amongst a certain demographic it gets a few approving nods.

It reminds me that sometimes a really good older bike can be better than a quite good newer one. Love it. :thumb2

Attachments

• IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4538.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 127
PaulG....That bike is a stunner !!

What a lovely old Italian and (crucially) so damn cool in red...:cool:

It's a long time since I have ridden a bike with DT shifters - how wonderfully simple.

An absolute cracker....:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom