The Motorcyclist's Guide to Scotland book - J.G. Fergusson

On the theme of mistaking names, when I lived in Gairloch an artic pulled up beside me and the driver asked for directions to an industrial unit. He should have gone to Gareloch. Gairloch is in Wester Ross, about 90 minutes north west of Inverness. Gareloch is on the coast nearer Glasgow.

Great work Wapping!!!
I used the book last year for my tour of Scotland, i didn't follow any of the suggested day rides but followed the "Tour" in the last half of the book... Took us around 10 days in total and loved it.. Fantastic route and got to see loads of Scotland, glad i didn't fall into the trap of heading up just to do the NC500 - would've missed so much of the wonderful country...
This weekend coming i should have been boarding a ferry bound for France for 10 days of camping and riding around Brittany (again) but Covid 19 has put a stop to that. In some ways a bit of a blessing in disguise because as soon as restrictions are lifted across the UK i shall be loading up the bike and heading North with my copy of the book again to explore the routes i missed last year!!

Great work Wapping!!!
I used the book last year for my tour of Scotland, i didn't follow any of the suggested day rides but followed the "Tour" in the last half of the book... Took us around 10 days in total and loved it.. Fantastic route and got to see loads of Scotland, glad i didn't fall into the trap of heading up just to do the NC500 - would've missed so much of the wonderful country...
This weekend coming i should have been boarding a ferry bound for France for 10 days of camping and riding around Brittany (again) but Covid 19 has put a stop to that. In some ways a bit of a blessing in disguise because as soon as restrictions are lifted across the UK i shall be loading up the bike and heading North with my copy of the book again to explore the routes i missed last year!!

Thank you.

I guess we have all missed something this year but at least (touch wood) have avoided falling ill, which might well mean missing an awful lot more.

17. Around the Cairngorms https://www.dropbox.com/s/leyzp7f9cvht8nk/17. around the cairngorms.gpx?dl=0

Next stop, The Great Glen (and yes, it's got the Commando Memorial in it)

Can't add much to that as it's fairly straight forward other than if you're heading for Aveimore from the Braemar/Tomintoul side you can cut off towards Nethy Bridge, starts off out in the open and winds it's way through woodland and brings you out at Coylumbridge, this would be my preferred road to take, just and alternative off the beaten track as it were.

Thank you. Small world. My girlfriend's cousin, owns the B&B / guesthouse in Nethy Bridge; a successful 'import' from Peterborough. We stopped there for lunch last September, having wound our way down there in a 7.9 metre motorhome, taking the scenic route, much as you described. Bits of the area looked remarkably 'English' if you know what I mean.

https://www.nethyhouse.co.uk

The road from Spean Bridge to Laggan not on that GG route is possibly one of the top two or three roads in the whole of the country.

Tell us the other two, please. I'll include them, too.

It's all subjective and I would assume he will have included the A87 Invergarry to Dornie which has the fastest corners in country, only corners I've certainly found that can be taken around 120mph.

It's all subjective and I would assume he will have included the A87 Invergarry to Dornie which has the fastest corners in country, only corners I've certainly found that can be taken around 120mph.

Couple of years ago they tried to put a 50 limit on the whole road.....

Back
Top Bottom