New bilingual sign at the border

H.R.H.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
47234d45f23e82d2c99e77b726205965.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has always been like that. You've just noticed it now, that's all :D

Nicola is stopping me going to my flat in Cults :(

That's becoming the annoying thing about Scotland - Gaelic signs. Only spoken on the Hebrides and Skye. Keep the signs there instead of the Carter Bar and Berwick - where it's never been spoken.

Nope - only ever heard it spoken by the inhabitants of Skye when they called home from offshore. More chance of Geordie being spoken in Berwick. :D:D

I don't mind it, but on road signs it's just stupid.

As a proud Scot...I feckin hate the Gaelicifying of everything.
Police cars now have “Polis” on them, ambulances have “Ambaileans” across them, its a joke. 60,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland, as said before, mostly in the Hebrides. I feel for tourists reading road signs, and wondering where Glaschu is.

In one town (I think it’s Blairgowrie, can’t remember) they have put up bilingual street signs so every street in the town has a name in English and one in Gaelic. Madness.

In one town (I think it’s Blairgowrie, can’t remember) they have put up bilingual street signs so every street in the town has a name in English and one in Gaelic. Madness.

The reason for that is they held the Royal National Mod in Blair some years ago and changed the street signs to reflect the gaelic culture and heritage celebrated during the week. Usually good fun....I took an American to the Mod when it was in Portree years ago....not for nothing is it affectionately called the whisky olympics!

There are official Gaeltacht areas in Ireland One is in Donegal where my folks have a wee house

But all the signs are in Irish alone and I suspect fairly impacts local tourism or there are Gards running about looking for lost Americans Germans and French up some unpronounceable (to the visitors) Road or Town

Dun Na Gall Is pretty okay But for Dungloe (of which there are a couple of different spellings depending on what map you have)

But for some poor soul "An Clochán Liath" has no resemblance

I can entirely understand the want to preserve a language, but surely it must be harmful to tourism which the area is quite dependent on ??

There are official Gaeltacht areas in Ireland One is in Donegal where my folks have a wee house

But all the signs are in Irish alone and I suspect fairly impacts local tourism or there are Gards running about looking for lost Americans Germans and French up some unpronounceable (to the visitors) Road or Town

Dun Na Gall Is pretty okay But for Dungloe (of which there are a couple of different spellings depending on what map you have)

But for some poor soul "An Clochán Liath" has no resemblance

I can entirely understand the want to preserve a language, but surely it must be harmful to tourism which the area is quite dependent on ??

Tourists manage fine in Thailand and other places? OK, there will be signs in English also but there's a reaction against English monoculture everywhere these days. As long as it's not taken too far, into intolerant nationalism, I don't think there's a problem.

The history of language in these islands is much more complex than people think. I recently came across a graphic which showed the successive waves of language change from the iron age on. A lot of it is speculative of course and we make assumptions all the time as in "Celtic" which is more a cultural label rather than a linguistic one. As far as I'm concerned, the more languages (up to a point) we introduce young people to the better. Multi lingual kids are smarter kids and adults too! :D

Tourists manage fine in Thailand and other places? OK, there will be signs in English

there you have it Pete In a Gaeltacht area there were/are no signs in English and only in recent years had there been Dual markings

I can remember 20 years ago the signs only showing An Clochan Liath for Dungloe or Dunglo or Dunloe

I'm not bashing Gaeltacht I'm more interested in if it affects the area

AND I would love to have the time to study Irish and learn it properly instead of the few phrases I have managed to pick up

I wonder when the road signs around here will take a step backwards and be written in Norse or saxon or maybe latin?

Because it's in fkn Wales :D

Where the majority have English as there first language so why the need for it on every single road sign. Are you seriously suggesting that they don’t understand it in English or that this is helping to preserve native Welsh as a language.
So my question remains WHY.

Where the majority have English as there first language so why the need for it on every single road sign. Are you seriously suggesting that they don’t understand it in English or that this is helping to preserve native Welsh as a language.

To keep a very vocal minority feeling as if they're all part of the same country.

BTW it's just the same in Canada with the French identifying speakers, but even better as every bit of their governments paperwork (that I've seen) is in both English and French. Just as well they have loads of trees for the extra paper that's needed.

Majority is the key word. Scotland and Wales have their own governments. Legislation passed in the SP and WA will have authorised said signs. Voila! Or whatever the Gaelic or Welsh for voila is! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom