Engine turns over slow, even with new battery ?

GSrick

Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought a 1100GS that hasn't been used for 2 yrs and what's more it has been kept outside. (I know, but I have it now)

The seller sold it to me with a second hand battery that he bought from Motorworks, the date on it is 3-20 so I would expect it wouldn't be too bad. However when I try to start the engine the motor labours and after a few tries the battery has had it. Ok, so I buy a new battery which supposed to arrive fully charged. It arrived today, put it on and it's no different from the used battery. So, I have it on charge now and I will try again tomorrow. My question is, is there any known reason the motor will labour when trying to start it?

I have only had it a few days, I have cleaned out the tank. fitted a now fuel filter and air filter and fresh fuel. I'll do the oils once I have heard it running. Any ideas guys?

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I have restored a lot of bikes and never know that though, although this is my first BMW restoration. I know you guys would have come across this before. Thanks

Before checking the starter motor, check the connections. A common fault on older vehicles is a corroded earth. You can easily diagnose this by using a jump lead to connect the battery earth to the starter motor directly. Use a convenient bolt on the casing, making sure to clean off any corrosion.

I will look at that too. There is a lot that is seized up, I have been oiling the 3 switches on the dash today to get them working.

It has new plugs but I suppose the injectors will need cleaning too. They are both working but not a great fan pattern

Thanks guys some really good feedback here. I'll let you know how I get on

Ok, the starter was in a bad way, there is a metal plate that had been eaten through by some sort of winding. I have bought a new starter and fitted tonight. Turns over half a turn and then it's just solenoid noise, I rushed it after work, so I have disconnected the battery again and I'll try again tomorrow. Question, I have lined up the small dowel and the starter seemed to fit well but do they every get stuck on the flywheel, like the teeth not engaging? Like I say it seemed to line up ok on the dowel and 2 bolts, cables were out of the way, so I nearly fell over when it didn't turn over at all. Anyone come across this?

It is one from Ebay from Schmitz Rotary Engineering they have sold 100's so I'd expect it to be ok. Dane mentioned alternator I'll take a look at that too

Original starter was toast for sure.
Did you recharge the battery?

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Yes it's a new battery fully charged , I really can't understand it. I'm going to check the fitting of the starter again, just in case , but that fitted well yesterday.

Hmm, a bit of a puzzle there. It's unusual for more than one fault to be causing similar symptoms, though given the history of the bike... :nenau

Electrical:
Did you charge the battery fully? Worth giving it overnight on a charger, or try a jump from another battery.

Try the jump leads +ve directly to the motor (lower solenoid terminal). If this turns OK, check the main positive cable from the battery to the solenoid and the earth cable from the battery to the block.

Mechanical:
Pop the starter off again and check the condition of the ring-gear teeth. You should be able to rotate the engine with the bike on centre stand in top gear by turning the back wheel. If not, pop the front cover off and use a spanner on the crank pulley nut (clockwise).

Beyond that, I can't think of anything else at the moment. Manual pages below (and eBay page for starter - is this the one?)

You can get the complete manual from Carl Salter's site: LINKY

Good luck!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 285
Yes that's the starter I bought. I have cleaned the ends of the earth and power cable with a little wet and dry and it seems to have done the trick, spins over good now. Didn't start though :) but that's next on my list, spark ok and injectors are working. More reading I think.

Yes that's the starter I bought. I have cleaned the ends of the earth and power cable with a little wet and dry and it seems to have done the trick, spins over good now. Didn't start though :) but that's next on my list, spark ok and injectors are working. More reading I think.

Good oh! Worth subscribing maybe? :nenau

Yes, she runs. I've put fresh fuel, new plugs, air filter, basically a service kit. Took some time to get fired up but once she ran for a while she starts up on the button now. I'm going a full restoration on the old girl.

It's going to be a challenge

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 185

Back
Top Bottom