Are you thinking about buying a new bike ,

Deleted account 200705001

Reaction score
I was about to buy a new 1250 GSA just before lockdown and for one reason and another it didn’t happen.

So as Scotland comes out of lockdown I contacted my local dealer and started a conversation about starting the process again.

I got a very quick response which included the following statement ;

“ Production has still not fully recovered from the factory shut down and we don’t envisage getting more than a hand full of these ( 1250 GSA which I was asking about to an XR1000) before year end 60% of these are pre sold “

Looks like I will going south if the above is correct , anyone heard about this ?

Was it JC's ? If so, was it Simon you spoke to? I'd be surprised if he couldn't sort you out with what you want.

I must adimit that was not the kind of response I was expecting , anyway as is already been indicated there are plenty of in stock bike elsewhere . I don’t really care where I buy from , however it would have been nice to buy local for lots of different reasons.

I was about to buy a new 1250 GSA just before lockdown and for one reason and another it didn’t happen.

So as Scotland comes out of lockdown I contacted my local dealer and started a conversation about starting the process again.

I got a very quick response which included the following statement ;

“ Production has still not fully recovered from the factory shut down and we don’t envisage getting more than a hand full of these ( 1250 GSA which I was asking about to an XR1000) before year end 60% of these are pre sold “

Looks like I will going south if the above is correct , anyone heard about this ?

What an incredible response from someone whose job it is to sell bikes.

He's basically telling you to go elsewhere if you want a bike but in different words.

If it were me I would buy anywhere but from them.

You'd think they'd be fighting for all the business they can get before the anticipated recession/financial shit-storm arrives.

Utterly bonkers

What an incredible response from someone whose job it is to sell bikes.

He's basically telling you to go elsewhere if you want a bike but in different words.

If it were me I would buy anywhere but from them.

You'd think they'd be fighting for all the business they can get before the anticipated recession/financial shit-storm arrives.

Utterly bonkers

Yeah, it's hardly a 'can do' attitude is it?

I went to AJ's yesterday to take a look at what they had and maybe get a price on mine. I was told by the lady on the desk I could not look around without a appointment, so if you do come South, make sure you book in advance :D you'd think after lockdown they would need all the sales they can.... too much money IMO

Update : after reading the email again , I thought I would just clarify the situation .

It appears now that the issue is with the XR1000 still not great, but just shows it’s worthwhile checking the finer details . So it’s game on at least for a 1250 GSA . Still going to give the XR a blast , which might be interesting .

I went to AJ's yesterday to take a look at what they had and maybe get a price on mine. I was told by the lady on the desk I could not look around without a appointment, so if you do come South, make sure you book in advance :D you'd think after lockdown they would need all the sales they can.... too much money IMO

It’s nothing to do with having too much money. It’s about keeping you and the staff safe. I’m in retail and I’m extremely venerable to Covid due to a low immune system. We have told customers it is by appointment only to protect them and our staff (including me). If somebody can be accommodated without an appointment we will do our best, but if not they are sent away. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they're that unhelpful when you're buying a bike, imagine what they'll be like when you have a problem.

Go buy somewhere that deserves your custom.

Picked up my new GSA from Chester this morning.

It was in the showroom and up for sale last week.

It’s nothing to do with having too much money. It’s about keeping you and the staff safe. I’m in retail and I’m extremely venerable to Covid due to a low immune system. We have told customers it is by appointment only to protect them and our staff (including me). If somebody can be accommodated without an appointment we will do our best, but if not they are sent away. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you now ;) I fully agree in a shop, small workshop etc, but AJ's is the size of a football pitch with no one in there. I think its taking it a bit far. I'd of put my helmet on or used a mask if asked. they all have screens on their desks. I don't see how making an appointment to look at the bikes takes away the risk? its just the same visit, but at a pre-arranged time? as I say... the place was empty!

Head down south.
Seems my local, WGC Lind, has a few in stock and they are a great bunch to deal with :thumb

https://www.lind.co.uk/used/bmw/r1250-gs-adventure-rallye-te

https://www.lind.co.uk/used/bmw/r1250-gs-adventure-exclusive-te

The biggest problem with them is that they’re a bunch of wankers. My wife had a new bike ordered, deposit paid and going to be delivered before the end of March and then we had lockdown. Every time she phoned and asked for an update the person she’d need to speak to wasn’t there and didn’t follow up her request until she sent an email to the head honcho. He initially told her that BMW were back and she’d have her bike in early July and he’d keep her informed. After a couple of weeks with no updates she managed to get hold of him again and he said August at best, I told her to fuck them off because that’s too late to get the bike, get it past the first service and go on holiday. She then had to fight to get her deposit back and while we both understand that Covid-19 has imposed a lot of unexpected difficulties there’s no excuse for not keeping in contact with people who paid a deposit in January and were told in February that they had an expected delivery date and the bike was currently being built.

She’ll almost certainly still be buying a new BMW next spring but it won’t be from them.

The biggest problem with them is that they’re a bunch of wankers.
That's not good and I can understand your frustration.
Maybe a bit harsh labelling them all as wankers because all I dealt with were great.
I bought 2 bikes from them and Russ kept me informed with regular emails on the built status of my new 1250.

I was in the LLoyds BMW and Honda Showrooms in Carlisle last weekend, with no issues, just walked in for a mooch and to get the good lady a new pair of gloves.
They had GS1250's on the showroom floor but didn't pay any attention to whether for sale or sold etc

That's not good and I can understand your frustration.
Maybe a bit harsh labelling them all as wankers because all I dealt with were great.
I bought 2 bikes from them and Russ kept me informed with regular emails on the built status of my new 1250.

If they are all wankers then that is different. Vote with your feet. Go somewhere else. And hopefully you will find a more pleasant buying experience. If we have the money to buy a new bike, we should be treated well and feel the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After several GS’s over many years, that’s why I moved away from BMW.
I found the bike staff to be very good at the same Dealership but the car side was very poor.
Despite buying several cars and bikes!!!
Absolutely no regrets about my move.

My experiences of late.... I tried to buy a new GSA1250 Exc TE a couple weeks back from a local dealer and I felt as if he was doing me a favour by 'offering' to sell me a bike! The price to change was £1500 apart from where I wanted to be and I was being realistic considering my research and phone contact with other further afield dealers. The trade in value on my 18 plate TB GSA was ludicrous. I then tried another dealer nearby and sent pics as requested etc. The salesman 'eventually' called me at an inconvenient time for me and stated he'd call back... You guessed, NOTHING heard since grrr!! Yesterday I was in my local dealers looking around the new and used bikes which were plentiful, especially with the 2 models I'd be interested in. Despite trying to make eye contact with sales staff I never got so much as an 'hello' let alone a 'good morning Sir, can I help you?' Yes, I know I can speak up but I like to at least feel appreciated and wanted as a customer.
So, in relation to the price to change from a 1200 to a 1250, I'm now looking to buy a new Versys 650 on 0% finance and have the 2 bikes :)

Picked up my new GSA last week from Will at Coopers in Boldon,top guy who really looks after his customers, whilst they are busy they would certainly not turn custom away

Back
Top Bottom