Horn upgrade

Ive now ordered a set (both high and low tones) from a 5 series off eBay.
I will just fit the low tone one for simplicity though.

Thanks again for all your responses.

S.

Ive now ordered a set (both high and low tones) from a 5 series off eBay.
I will just fit the low tone one for simplicity though.

Thanks again for all your responses.

S.

FYI , the high tone horn is the opposite hand so would not fit on the existing bracket.

And give up driving in the Alps and several countries in Europe. Especially in Austria and Germany where the debate on aftermarket cans is on the rise.
The debate or the conclusion?

This morning my 5 series car horn (Low tone).
The only aspect i dont like about this mod is that the trumpet of the horn faces into the fairing and up towards the rider . . .
So I pre bought a bit of extension cable with the correct plug from a scrap yard.

I soldered (tinned) both wires of the extension wire and then jammed them into the bikes original socket..
The sealed it all with copious amounts of insulation tape. Because I have effectively lengthened the bikes wiring I can now mount the horn facing forwards and downwards towards the road (The sound does bounce off hard surfaces).

From a standing position the horn cannot be seen..

See photos..

P.S the soldered wires were and extremely tight fit.. I had to use 2 pairs of needle nosed pliers to insert into the holes of the original connector.

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 347
This morning my 5 series car horn (Low tone).
The only aspect i dont like about this mod is that the trumpet of the horn faces into the fairing and up towards the rider . . .
So I pre bought a bit of extension cable with the correct plug from a scrap yard.

I soldered (tinned) both wires of the extension wire and then jammed them into the bikes original socket..
The sealed it all with copious amounts of insulation tape. Because I have effectively lengthened the bikes wiring I can now mount the horn facing forwards and downwards towards the road (The sound does bounce off hard surfaces).

From a standing position the horn cannot be seen..

See photos..

P.S the soldered wires were and extremely tight fit.. I had to use 2 pairs of needle nosed pliers to insert into the holes of the original connector.

Thats weird. If you see the pics below of my install this week the horn went straight on and it faced the front of the bike ?
Sorry, pic has turned sideways and i dont know how to spin it.

Attachments

• 27771916-B794-49A1-B48F-A8747653C6F2.jpeg
    27771916-B794-49A1-B48F-A8747653C6F2.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 345
Hi Rowle
Your part number was different to mine.
I wish I had bought the same as you.
Well done fore getting a more compatible horn.
S.

Well.... I had to try this
Ordered a horn for a 5 series off Ebay for 9 quid, different seller to Rowle
Last one
Bit of cleaning and touch up with black metal paint and it went on with just a hint of pulling the straight bar to the offside
Sits nicely in the space and is not visible
Bosch make
Cannot say it is louder but is deeper
I will test it tomorrow on some innocent pedestrians

Attachments

• 20200723_115133.jpg
    20200723_115133.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200723_115056.jpg
    20200723_115056.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 281
My mate rides with ear plugs jammed into his ears and the amount of times me and others have beeped him to tell him to turn off his indicator..He never hears us and carries on oblivious..
Since fitting the car horn he instantly looks in his mirror when I beep..
On a Youtube channel there was a guy testing the bikes standard horn, and the replacement car horn with a Decibel meter. There was very little difference according to the meter, BUT as he said there was a heck of a difference in the real world.

As you say it is a deeper tone and that seems to get attention far more than the shrill "Meep Meep" of the standard horn.

I dont use the horn very often but when I do its usually because its very much needed. That's when I want to be heard, or maybe to convey my sense of displeasure at the puttz thats pulled out on me. :D

I fitted a Stebel to an earlier bike and it was a bit of a faff to fit. I didn't like the galvanic corrosion and the furry aluminium bracket or the extra wiring or relay.

Fitted the car horn yesterday and it 'sounds' significantly louder - whether it is or not I don't know, but I am sure it sounds it to the naked ear.

It's a straight fit, loads cheaper and less 'aftermarket' - well worth it.

Just fitted the series 5 low tone , direct swap, deeper tone but is louder imo, took about 10 mins to swap.

I have a Stebel Magnum (low) on my GSA. Available on eBay for just over £20

With a bit of jiggery pokery just about fits where the original horn goes and is a LOT louder than OE at 136DB.

No problem with the Canbus but it has spade connectors so you would have to buy an adapter from somewhere like NN or cut the original connector off and use a female spade connectors

Mike

Why is the picture upside down.....tried 4 times...never has this problem before
I actually own the Magnum horn. I had it on a previous bike.

Any links to the loom I'll need to fit to my 1250 GSA 2019?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Just fitted the BMW 5 series car horn as per page 1 of this thread, works a t4eat with compatible connectors. Sounds a bit deeper / lower tome than the Denali mini sound bomb on another bike, probably just as loud. Great result, Oh, and £8 from fleabay.
Thanks for the input tossers.

Finally located a BMW 7159421 low tone horn on E-bay, unfortunately the breaker advertised them as a 'pair' of high/low tone horns for £15
It looks like the car breakers are aware of the fact that GS/A owners aren't satisfied with the original standard horns and many only sell as a pair, so you may get the 7159520 high tone as well. The all important 'relevant' number (7159421) is etched onto the side of the horn and the capital 'L' letter moulded on the plastic trumpet to designate low tone. Managed to fit it without removing any plastics, the mounting stud on the low tone is 6mm dia as opposed to 8mm dia on the original but makes no difference because the 6mm nut has combined washer and fits just fine. I had to use a little grease to glue the nut to to the open ended spanner to get it started, unless you have fingers like chicken's claws you may have to do the same. Took me about 20 mins in total, but I'm old, not very flexible, and the nut was just out of focus with or without reading glasses on ! Thanks to everyone in previous posts for all the information, it is in my opinion a cheap upgrade that's worth doing and sounds louder/deeper to my old part deaf ears. Chuffed .
1cbbefb879c1aa81a8272b3cedf815c2.jpg
f61e98f59647f1f1e6206ed8f1bfae58.jpg
3ccab3684cef33e364397922ffc587dd.jpg
095c95b3c2fb44f338c73f90ba5a8848.jpg
ba40cad88192a084df659fc65d8d2ad6.jpg
f66b461f06821bb09c281d3db22ed710.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nothing beats the Dinalli SoundBomb... Admittedly it’s a lot more expensive than a tenner on eBay and does need some panel removal to fit properly but when it’s done it’ll wake the dead....Fitted mine to my new (to me) GSA yesterday...

Attachments

• C1961D66-6F0D-4306-A28D-2355F2FC2A9C.jpg
    C1961D66-6F0D-4306-A28D-2355F2FC2A9C.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 3E5B8894-8E29-4E9B-B4E1-6FD369F86A92.jpg
    3E5B8894-8E29-4E9B-B4E1-6FD369F86A92.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 327
I actually own the Magnum horn. I had it on a previous bike.

Any links to the loom I'll need to fit to my 1250 GSA 2019?

A bit late....just seen your question

Available from N/N, Motorworks etc

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    114.6 KB · Views: 294
A bit late....just seen your question

Available from N/N, Motorworks etc

Mike
Thanks Mike, No problem at all. . I'd seen that loom and thought it looked correct. Any issues mounting the horn? Had a quick look and it seems a bit tight for space.

Thanks Mike, No problem at all. . I'd seen that loom and thought it looked correct. Any issues mounting the horn? Had a quick look and it seems a bit tight for space.

Tight but doable without removing any bodywork.

I think I used the original bracket but had to move it slightly

If you're in my area call in for a look and a brew

Mike

Back
Top Bottom