1200GSA or 1250GSA

Build quality,lustrous paint, reliability....

No SOS button though....

Nope, no better than my 1250 - any better than your 1250?

At least none of my LC's have snapped the drive shaft, locking up the wheel on the M25.

Spot on .

Perhaps BMW should go back to building bikes properly rather than chasing bhp to please misguided merkins .....and stick

Edited for accuracy :)

Give them a call - they could use folk like you.

Spot on .

Perhaps BMW should go back to building bikes properly rather than chasing bhp to please misguided merkins .....and stick

Edited for accuracy :)

But whether you like it or not and cannot swallow the pill that is progress and a possible redesign , our Norcal member has some great points and for some who wish the improvements that he wants . I would have the M1300 if it’s ever made as it would be a great bike , as the current 1250 is in its current format .
Past designs are also great as was my Tc , but I would have it again , but more of a bike I would ride with mist in my eyes and once in a blue moon like my Old XT

But whether you like it or not and cannot swallow the pill that is progress and a possible redesign , our Norcal member has some great points and for some who wish the improvements that he wants . I would have the M1300 if it’s ever made as it would be a great bike , as the current 1250 is in its current format .
Past designs are also great as was my Tc , but I would have it again , but more of a bike I would ride with mist in my eyes and once in a blue moon like my Old XT

Depends what you want from progress .
A more refined motor is obviously a bonus . But an SOS button , TFT that only ever seems to be plastered in warnings that your awesome steed is fucked. Radar guided cruise control ?
No thanks .
Just stuff you have managed without for 40 years and another reason to sell the bike before the warranty runs out .
No wonder many are looking towards more basic bikes like the T7

Depends what you want from progress .
A more refined motor is obviously a bonus . But an SOS button , TFT that only ever seems to be plastered in warnings that your awesome steed is fucked. Radar guided cruise control ?
No thanks .
Just stuff you have managed without for 40 years and another reason to sell the bike before the warranty runs out .
No wonder many are looking towards more basic bikes like the T7

The SOS is a good idea , i have done trips abroad alone and always worried , what if , Im on my own , exploring back tracks and lanes and something happens so for me its a great comfort knowing i may have a get out clause when in trouble.
The TFT is great , no more squinting , great simple display that is one of the better ones out there , never really had any messages apart from low pressure ( useful) the usual , time for a service etc , so i cant see your point on those.
Cruise control , im with you on that one as i rarely go on the M ways and if i do i still have enough control of the throttle to manage without it.
Other than that all the improvements are a benefit not a hinderance , if some wish to remain on an older bike fine , i can see that , just dont understand the refusal to move on and live in the past . My Cr 500 was great , but a memory now....
The T7 looks like the XT660 but on steroids , horrible , cramped and i would imaging bland as all Jap bikes seem to be , soulless . I rather ride a Guzzi than that and that only just.

Looks like they sell all the fooked bikes to mugs from the Channel Islands - doesn't half make them bitter :nenau

I have a wide circle of mates with a variety of bikes and not one has had an issue with their 1250. And if you do, you have an expansive dealer network, consumer rights and testicles.

A few of the old guard on here have bought T7's and I'm not going to slag them down, but not because of unreliable or over equipped 1250GS's.

I agree with going back to basics but I did that with my 1250GS for the following reasons.

I don’t think a quick shifter is needed on an adventure bike. The milliseconds gained is pointless riding on the road, and I have always enjoyed changing gear as part of riding, and clutchless up changes are all you need.

Keyless ignition solves a problem that didn’t exist, as no downsides with having keys. You certainly can’t ride off leaving your key behind, no battery to go flat, and they give you 2 of them.

Electronic suspension is easy for those who cannot set up normal suspension, however with no ability to fine tune each setting you can end up with none of the settings that suit you, as its one size for all whether your 80kg or 180. No way to fine tune rebound and compression. I’ve had 3 bikes with ESA and it frustrated me which is why my basic has Ohlins. Much better and no reliability issues.

Been riding bikes for 40 years and have never ever needed SOS.

I have a Sat Nav so don’t need my TFT to show maps or play music as my Sena plays music from my IPod so no connection problems.

Don’t want to use phone while riding, so I can concentrate on the actual riding, and trying to stay safe from people driving who are distracted whilst on their phones. Worst you are going to get is a missed call on your phone.

All of the above areas relate to regular and often repeated topics on this forum and I accept its only my opinion, but they are caused by trying to fix problems that never or shouldn’t have existed.

All of my BMW R1200GSA issues have been fixed.

- Spoke issues, bought alloy wheels
- ESA Suspension issues, bought Ohlins
- Flappy Valve issues, removed with Titanium headers
- Engine noise issues, bought tools for valve check and cam alignment
- Accessory issues, bought hex ez-can
- Analogue speedo issues, bought a Nav VI
- Wind turbulance issues, bought screen brace and deflector
- Corrosion issues, bought an Africa Twin

It's a really nice bike now, really good. Not worried about warranty as I've got all the tools to keep it maintained and repaired myself.

Looks like they sell all the fooked bikes to mugs from the Channel Islands - doesn't half make them bitter :nenau

I have a wide circle of mates with a variety of bikes and not one has had an issue with their 1250. And if you do, you have an expansive dealer network, consumer rights and testicles.

A few of the old guard on here have bought T7's and I'm not going to slag them down, but not because of unreliable or over equipped 1250GS's.

They sell very few to mugs over there , helped by the local dealer being utter shite . Now been stripped of the dealership .
I’ve not bought a new GS since 2006 and seeing the direction they are going in I doubt I’ll ever buy a new one again .

I ride bikes for a living mainly bmw..Done thousands of miles on various models and never had any issues. That's why i bought my gsa and again no issues and the same with my k1600 bagger thingy. Will i have another not sure as a Harley is going to be my next bike.

They sell very few to mugs over there , helped by the local dealer being utter shite . Now been stripped of the dealership .
I’ve not bought a new GS since 2006 and seeing the direction they are going in I doubt I’ll ever buy a new one again .

I've not bought a pair of 30" waist jeans since about then too. Still plenty buy them though, but my personal choices have changed (and my waist).

I do like a good debate, but to be fair, using others (owners/riding mates/forum chat) experiences over the last 14 years possibly renders your commentary of the current model of no real use to the reader.

I've not bought a pair of 30" waist jeans since about then too. Still plenty buy them though, but my personal choices have changed (and my waist).

I do like a good debate, but to be fair, using others (owners/riding mates/forum chat) experiences over the last 14 years possibly renders your commentary of the current model of no real use to the reader.

I do believe you are correct . Arsey , if this was a game of trumps ......

I agree with going back to basics but I did that with my 1250GS for the following reasons.

I don’t think a quick shifter is needed on an adventure bike. The milliseconds gained is pointless riding on the road, and I have always enjoyed changing gear as part of riding, and clutchless up changes are all you need.

Keyless ignition solves a problem that didn’t exist, as no downsides with having keys. You certainly can’t ride off leaving your key behind, no battery to go flat, and they give you 2 of them.

Electronic suspension is easy for those who cannot set up normal suspension, however with no ability to fine tune each setting you can end up with none of the settings that suit you, as its one size for all whether your 80kg or 180. No way to fine tune rebound and compression. I’ve had 3 bikes with ESA and it frustrated me which is why my basic has Ohlins. Much better and no reliability issues.

Been riding bikes for 40 years and have never ever needed SOS.

I have a Sat Nav so don’t need my TFT to show maps or play music as my Sena plays music from my IPod so no connection problems.

Don’t want to use phone while riding, so I can concentrate on the actual riding, and trying to stay safe from people driving who are distracted whilst on their phones. Worst you are going to get is a missed call on your phone.

All of the above areas relate to regular and often repeated topics on this forum and I accept its only my opinion, but they are caused by trying to fix problems that never or shouldn’t have existed.

Quick shifter great to scrub speed off when hooning combined with the slipper clutch . Perfect.
Plus short shifting is a pleasure .
I have TT Tractive , better and more compliant than the Ohlins . The ESA at its best . Thus not an issue.
You never know when the SOS may become your best friend , it’s a lottery , 40 years Yes but ....
Agree don’t use the TFT for anything else than what It was designed for . But I do not listen to music as I’m riding my bike , not passing time . You mention the phone , agree again but why listen to music as that’s a distraction.

Quick shifter great to scrub speed off when hooning combined with the slipper clutch . Perfect.
Plus short shifting is a pleasure .
I have TT Tractive , better and more compliant than the Ohlins . The ESA at its best . Thus not an issue.
You never know when the SOS may become your best friend , it’s a lottery , 40 years Yes but ....
Agree don’t use the TFT for anything else than what It was designed for . But I do not listen to music as I’m riding my bike , not passing time . You mention the phone , agree again but why listen to music as that’s a distraction.

Stick, does TT still sell the Tractive ESA kit for my R1200, any idea?

I looked recently and could only find the standard non-ESA version.

It looked like it wasn't available any more

Stick, does TT still sell the Tractive ESA kit for my R1200, any idea?

I looked recently and could only find the standard non-ESA version.

It looked like it wasn't available any more

Not sure I’ll have a look , call Nick at TT he’s a helpful chap . Also Tractive uk they are also the same , I will see if I can find the link
Found it
raceshocks.co.uk

Not sure I’ll have a look , call Nick at TT he’s a helpful chap . Also Tractive uk they are also the same , I will see if I can find the link
Found it
raceshocks.co.uk

Looked on TT still lists the 1200 adv 2014>

Found it
raceshocks.co.uk

Cheers, I'm undecided as I'm now happy with my Ohlins, but when the time comes to servicing them, while they're out, I may consider changing them.

However, what I also might do is time it all and replace the Ohlins with standard ESA kit and upgrade the whole bike to the new M1300 if that ever happens... and just skip a generation.

Back
Top Bottom