Battery question?

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently acquired 2018 R1200GSA LC as in 10 days old. I’ve had the low voltage warning come up three times now on the TFT screen.

I keep it on an optimate and it’s used everyday for work. 6 on 3 off.

Unplug optimate and TFT shows 12.8

According to the TFT it’s charging 14.3 with engine running on the way to work 27 miles.

Get off bike and check and it shows 12.6. Leave the bike outside for 8 hrs and comeback to it to go home. Check again 11.5 on TFT.

I feel this maybe a duff battery but don’t know what normal discharge should be?

The bike is fitted with BMW alarm but it’s turned off in the settings as I do t like them.

Is it time for a new battery?

A very simple test would be to disconnect battery while parking. If No drop in voltage your looking for something draining the battery. JJH

Your charging voltage is correct, your 'at rest voltage' (12.6-12.8) is also correct.

BUT - you either have something draining current from the battery, or the battery is faulty.

Does the battery (starting at 12.6v) crank the engine over several times in succession without collapsing? Try that?

As JJH says - disconnect the battery for the 8hours and see what voltage it reads on reconnection.

If battery is good, then you need to go down the route of finding where the drain is (not so easy with canbus as it was with a conventional system, I don't think)

HTH

Battery knackered not unusual get it replaced under warranty simples

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

It’s got a 2 year used bike warranty which started on 21st August. Emailed dealer 500 miles away in Aberdeen but no response. Need bike on the road. Thinking of just replacing myself but not sure what with?

There ya go, take it to any BMW dealer and it will be sorted hopefully

Go for Motobatt or Yuasa would be my recommendation, or an Odysey if you are feeling particularly flush.

BUT - satisfy yourself that it is the battery - it might not be that ‘simples’

Yuasa Motorcycle Battery - YTZ14S ordered. Need bike for work. Nearest dealer 50miles away. Don’t have time for that or to argue the toss with them. Probably needs a new one due to age. Complaint left for BMW Aberdeen.

Yuasa Motorcycle Battery - YTZ14S ordered. Need bike for work. Nearest dealer 50miles away. Don’t have time for that or to argue the toss with them. Probably needs a new one due to age. Complaint left for BMW Aberdeen.

Probably wise to just get a new battery at 2yrs, BUT - unless you have established that the original battery is faulty, and that BMW Aberdeen have done nothing - should you have left a complaint?

Low battery warning was present when they turned the bike on in Aberdeen. And the fact that they haven’t bothered to respond is why I made a complaint. Will probably get me no where.

Why can't you go to your local dealer

Because the bike won’t start and it’s 50 miles away. Work tomorrow so battery coming on next day delivery.

Sounds like a duff battery.

If it’s used every day, can I ask why you keep it on a charger?
Lead acid batteries don’t like being kept at float voltage.

Optimate cycles the voltage, though.

Sometimes commuting in winter/dark - means additional lighting and heated grips. The nett effect on battery might be slow depletion on the commute due to the load?

Because the bike won’t start and it’s 50 miles away. Work tomorrow so battery coming on next day delivery.
Bmw assist is there for you to use, you have paid for it in the approved used price?
Loan bike or probably car will be delivered to you?

My old 2015 was kept on the optimate for 5 years and still on original battery and still going strong. I don’t really think the optimate does much unless I’m on rest days. It might give it a tiny bit everyday however I think it then just rests and checks for 12hrs and by that time I’m probably using it again. Just habit. Put it in the garage and plug it in. It’s doing 1000 miles a month.

Optimate cycles the voltage, though.

Sometimes commuting in winter/dark - means additional lighting and heated grips. The nett effect on battery might be slow depletion on the commute due to the load?
Just wondered as I’ve never found the need.

I'm away at the moment and due home on Friday ,been away 3.5 weeksI have no doubt the bike (2018gs) will start never ever used an optimate on my last 6 gs bikes

Just wondered as I’ve never found the need.
He would rather jump in with battery drains and can bus faults than do the obvious and very common gs battery failure and replace it

Back
Top Bottom