Battery Life

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've had my current GS for almost exactly 10 years and not very many miles at all. The latter being down to not being in the best of health for much of the time but I digress...

For most of the time that the GS has sat in the garage and much of that was for two years prior to this summer, it's been connected to my Optimate 4. This year, I actually got round to riding it a bit more, including towing some visitors from California around bits of Scotland. Worried that the battery might not be up to it and could let me down somewhere remote, I fitted the MotoBatt which had been sitting neglected on a shelf in the garage for about two years since I bought it and fitted that to the bike.

Fast forward to now and the GS hasn't been ridden since July. The Optimate hadn't been connected but having done so this week, it's showing a healthy battery.

Meanwhile, for a variety of reasons, I recently bought an Optimate 7 for the very fair price of £120 on eBay. During a bit of garage sorting this afternoon, I came across the original 10 year old GS battery and thought I'd see what would happen if I connected it to the new Optimate. Optimate make some grand claims that the 7 will revive dead batteries.

The first surprise was that the battery indicated a state of 50% charge right away and within 30 mins was showing fully charged. It'll be interesting to see if it's able to hold that charge.

I've attached a pic from the corner of my current shit-heap of a garage to add some visual interest to an otherwise mundane post.... :augie

IMG_0818.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a long term user and fan of the Optimate products with flying leads on all battery bikes & my car, so will check out this new funky looking 7 product.. I think with our BWM batteries you can get a good or a bad one from new. My 2020 GS had the stupid tracker fitted that once the subscription ended kept searching for a signal so I'm told and drained the battery - totally pointless piece of junk (the tracker I mean!!) w& drained the battery in a matter of 2 days. Once removed my battery work just fine and hold charge well.

I'm a long term user and fan of the Optimate products with flying leads on all battery bikes & my car, so will check out this new funky looking 7 product.. I think with our BWM batteries you can get a good or a bad one from new. My 2020 GS had the stupid tracker fitted that once the subscription ended kept searching for a signal so I'm told and drained the battery - totally pointless piece of junk (the tracker I mean!!) w& drained the battery in a matter of 2 days. Once removed my battery work just fine and hold charge well.
I did the same with the tracker on my bike. The GS is being swapped next week and I asked the dealer if they wanted me to reconnect the tracker while I had the bkke apart removing my hexezecan. No thanks was the reply, we had enough with new bikes having flat batteries across the showroom when they were fitted as OE so could you leave it disconnected. The optimate was nearly always charging my bike when it was fitted when I went into my garage, now it only seems to go into a charge cycle when I first connect it up.

I did the same with the tracker on my bike. The GS is being swapped next week and I asked the dealer if they wanted me to reconnect the tracker while I had the bkke apart removing my hexezecan. No thanks was the reply, we had enough with new bikes having flat batteries across the showroom when they were fitted as OE so could you leave it disconnected. The optimate was nearly always charging my bike when it was fitted when I went into my garage, now it only seems to go into a charge cycle when I first connect it up.
if its a datatool one, take it out and I will buy it from you.

Yep - total junk and >£100 a year to subscribe. If my bike gets pinched I don't want it back! They were a useless organisation to deal with too in my experience.

I removed the hardware totally from the bike. If you want to do the same just remove the pillion seat and the covers under the rack area as it's just sitting there. I have pics if you need?

Yep - total junk and >£100 a year to subscribe. If my bike gets pinched I don't want it back! They were a useless organisation to deal with too in my experience.

I removed the hardware totally from the bike. If you want to do the same just remove the pillion seat and the covers under the rack area as it's just sitting there. I have pics if you need?
My experience wasn't positive either! I had a few occasions where they rang me in the early hours to say my bike had moved which I suspected was rubbish as the garage is alarmed. Each time the bike was exactly where it should be so I got a tad pissed off with the false alarms and together with me forgetting to take the tab with me if I was moving it about resulting in more unwanted calls meant I ditched it after the initial 12 months free subs were up. I'm good ta, I just unplugged mine and left it in situ to die a slow death :ROFLMAO: The obvious thing to me was it was all shoite anyway as the tracker has been put in the same place on every bike and with a battery powered impact gun etc takes at the most a couple of minutes to get at and throw over the hedge so to any self respecting bike thief it is no deterrent at all. Saves you 3/5 of bu88er all on your insurance premium so that says a lot as they think it's useless too

I got emails and phoned too with my bike still in the garage all the time.. Zero benefit on insurance does as you say clearly demonstrate it's totally useless..

My experience wasn't positive either! I had a few occasions where they rang me in the early hours to say my bike had moved which I suspected was rubbish as the garage is alarmed. Each time the bike was exactly where it should be so I got a tad pissed off with the false alarms and together with me forgetting to take the tab with me if I was moving it about resulting in more unwanted calls meant I ditched it after the initial 12 months free subs were up. I'm good ta, I just unplugged mine and left it in situ to die a slow death :ROFLMAO: The obvious thing to me was it was all shoite anyway as the tracker has been put in the same place on every bike and with a battery powered impact gun etc takes at the most a couple of minutes to get at and throw over the hedge so to any self respecting bike thief it is no deterrent at all. Saves you 3/5 of bu88er all on your insurance premium so that says a lot as they think it's useless too
What system/company?

A battery in good health will last a long time - especially if it's 'used right'. Short journeys using high loads kill batteries in a shorter time scale.

On the tracker side, i have a BikeTrak installed, and it's been great. It barely touches the (Bike) battery, even after 4 weeks of not being started it's only down to 12.6v.

late 2020 GSs came with Stealth S5 as standard.

Back
Top Bottom