Cymarc Screen Theft Brace

To close off my initial post in saying that I contacted Mark @ Cymarc and he has gone out of his way to resolve this for me and has manufactured a slightly differently designed brace to suit my bike.

The result is pretty much perfect & I have to say that I am very impressed with the tenacious & professional way Mark worked to ensure the brace suited my bike & we're both puzzled as to why the first one didn't fit properly.

Mark is helping me with a slight fitment issue on mine and like your issue he's absolutely gone out of his way to help and get it sorted. The world is missing that level of customer service nowadays.

Mark is helping me with a slight fitment issue on mine and like your issue he's absolutely gone out of his way to help and get it sorted. The world is missing that level of customer service nowadays.

He did the same for me. As I noted in the other thread on this topic, the quality of a company can be gauged by the service it provides when the customer has a problem, and Mark and his team at Cymarc went out of their way to solve my problem.

He did the same for me. As I noted in the other thread on this topic, the quality of a company can be gauged by the service it provides when the customer has a problem, and Mark and his team at Cymarc went out of their way to solve my problem.

Couldn't agree more, no one likes encountering an issue, but I judge my experience on what happens if I ask for help. Big companies will often ignore you or fob you off, Mark couldn't have been more keen to help and get me sorted and thats why I'll keep buying from him (aside from the fact his stuff is brilliant anyway).

Thank you for all the kind (and hopefully justified) words - I work hard to give a level of service I would be delighted to receive myself, from a fellow biker who cares about what he does (that’s gotta be a rare thing?).

Anyway, and kinda on that subject, I had one (fellow biker) send a brace back to me, commenting that it was simply ‘too flimsy’.

Thankfully the VAST majority of lads have humbled me with their approval of my products, especially this anti theft brace however I was quite concerned that in this very rare case my work was seen as flimsy as I normally aim for ‘painfully and expensively over-engineered’ as a default.

Obviously I respect this guys opinion so I set about a solution and I came up with this - I’ve only posted it for information but of course will always be thankful for any feedback. It’s made from very thick gauge stainless steel, formed using a 100t CNC Pressbrake, so I can say that it’s very far from flimsy. The ‘claws’ simply can’t be bent back out, allowing the screen to be stolen.

Personally I’m very pleased with my standard brace, which I’ll keep on my bike, but this IMHO is a good bit of kit too!
d44006069482e3e1997f0ddbc4cd0f32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 'claw' version looks seriously robust.
I'm in the process of fitting my original version, which seems tough enough.
(I say "in the process of" because Mike at Cymarc is sending me some different bolts & washers)

Like all these products, we expect the main deterrent to be from the opportunist, snapping your screen off and selling for the price of a spliff.

I've not studied the install instructions, but assume it involves careful removal of panels etc.

The 'pro' thieves of these will not be careful, snapping panels and carrying the required tools for the job (a couple of torx?), so I do wonder if they offer any real protection at all.

I had a look at mine. It appears to be three “C” clips that retain three pins on the back of the IP that poke through three grommets in the cast part that bridges over the top of the headlight. I didn’t try, because it looks like a PITA to reinstall, but I reckon I can pop off all three clips with no more than finger pressure, and you don’t need to remove anything to access them, you can reach around from the face of the IP. You don’t need tools and you don’t need to break anything. Once the clips are off, the panel will pull back and the harness can be unplugged. 1 minute if that.

It seems about as thief-proof as sellotaping your laptop onto your topbox.

Very disappointed. Will be sorting some security very quickly.

Simon

I had a look at mine. It appears to be three “C” clips that retain three pins on the back of the IP that poke through three grommets in the cast part that bridges over the top of the headlight. I didn’t try, because it looks like a PITA to reinstall, but I reckon I can pop off all three clips with no more than finger pressure, and you don’t need to remove anything to access them, you can reach around from the face of the IP. You don’t need tools and you don’t need to break anything. Once the clips are off, the panel will pull back and the harness can be unplugged. 1 minute if that.

It seems about as thief-proof as sellotaping your laptop onto your topbox.

Very disappointed. Will be sorting some security very quickly.

Simon

There was a guy on one of the FB forums looking at this recently and what he found was that the circlips holding the TFT screen in place have little tabs on them, making it easy to ping them off - so he simply replaced the clips with ones without tabs - he used 3.2mm External E-Clips / C-Clips (see picture). I've recently fitted these clips as well as the Anti-Theft Brace as well.

Attachments

• Clips.JPG
    Clips.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 309
That would be a very simple & effective first step.

As someone far more learned than I once remarked “how very stupid of me not to have thought of that”.

At least the scrotes would need a screwdriver, rather than just their grubby fingers.

Thanks!
Simon

The 'claw' version looks seriously robust.
I'm in the process of fitting my original version, which seems tough enough.
(I say "in the process of" because Mike at Cymarc is sending me some different bolts & washers)

Hi there did Mike not mention that you were putting the washers in the wrong place?

Hi there did Mike not mention that you were putting the washers in the wrong place?

He did...they don't fall out when I walk :eek:

Seriously though, even though they might not strictly be necessary, I will be happier with some washers on the outside as well as on the inside simply because the OEM bolt heads are 12+mm while the supplied ones are 10.

He did...they don't fall out when I walk :eek:

Seriously though, even though they might not strictly be necessary, I will be happier with some washers on the outside as well as on the inside simply because the OEM bolt heads are 12+mm while the supplied ones are 10.

Hi pal, mmmmmm the plot thickens - you should’ve got some standard M6 washers in the pack for that reason if you had one of the earlier packs. Anyhoo Mick has sent out another pack and as long as you put the large 18mm dia washers in the right place you’ll be fine

Hi pal, mmmmmm the plot thickens - you should’ve got some standard M6 washers in the pack for that reason if you had one of the earlier packs. Anyhoo Mick has sent out another pack and as long as you put the large 18mm dia washers in the right place you’ll be fine

Hi Mark, the pack with standard M6 washers arrived today, so I'll finish the installation tomorrow, thanks :thumb

Replaced the 4 M6x25 allen screws that come with the brace with corresponding security TORX screws this afternoon for a bit more security

Back
Top Bottom