2019 R1250GS Battery

hawkeye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What battery does the R1250GS take as standard? Just looked in the handbook and it doesn't say! I've also picked up that dealers seem to be fitting 'failed' batteries with an upgraded one? Anyone know what that is? Only reason I ask is that I think mine may be playing up, so would like to be knowledgeable prior to the discussion with the dealer next week.

My preference would be to fit a Yuasa battery if indeed mine is naff - I think from googling it, that the YTX14-BS is the one for the R1250, although I see now that Yuasa do a YTX14-HBS, which is a High Performance version of the YTX14-BS - might this be a better option?

Motobatt should fit as std - just remove the expanded foam spacer in the battery tray (cheaper & has 4 tapping posts )

unless they have made the battery much smaller it will fit on a 2016 LC

Also the Oddesey battery for the original 1200 hexhead fits - needs some fins shaving , but it will go in there

Have you checked the connections aren't loose? You might then be able to identify the model code whilst checking...

A very simple way to answer your query is to remove the battery from your bike and read the information printed on the side of said battery. If you are hoping for a battery replacement under warranty then the dealer would in all probability fit a battery supplied to them by BMW rather than a Yuasa however preferable that would be to you.
I thought I had a dodgy battery fitted to my 2019 1250gs as it let me down twice in the first couple of months. I worked out that on both occasions the failure to start was after prolonged playing with new to me tft menus and music/phone pairing with the engine off. All was well after recharging and the bike stood unmoved for a couple of months and started easily on my return. My conclusion is that tft are power hungry and can drop a battery to a point where it can’t turn the engine over in about 25 minutes of music playing.
Alan R

Thanks - checked all the connections, all clean and bright and tight. I agree Alan about removing the battery, but was just trying to avoid that if possible unnecessarily, as wasn't sure what it might "reset" if I do. I know what you mean though about the TFT draining the battery, does a remarkable quick job on that - I also have an alarm on mine, which may possibly be draining it down a bit as well. I'll give it a good charge and see how it goes before I do anything else.

Thanks for the comments, appreciated

The Yuasa website is very good. If you ever the registration is will list the versions that are for your bike.

The ‘H’ in the name is the higher capacity and better CCA. Triumph ( in my case) fit the basic version ( other brands may spend more on the bigger one) but Yuasa website shows the upgraded version.

Out of curiosity I thought I'd give the Yuasa site a go and it doesn't show one for the 1250.

Put a YTZ14S on my 1200 when the original failed - would assume same would be ok?

Attachments

• Battery.PNG
    Battery.PNG
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,100

Back
Top Bottom