Front end clunk - where to look?

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2016 LC TE has developed an annoying clunk from the front end on rough surfaces (= Aberdeenshire roads).

From experience I would say it's the steering head bearings but my experience is based on standard headset arrangements, not the GS style.

It's difficult to tell from the RSD software if the top yolk has a bushing or a bearing and I see that the bottom yolk pivot is actually a ball joint. There is no clunkiness in the steering movement when the bike is on the Abba Lift, nor can I feel any movement in the forks or wheel bearings. If I grab the handlebars in the centre, I can't get any unwanted movement from the top yolk bearing either. On the road the bike steers smoothly.

Bike has done 38000 miles and recently sailed through it's MoT.

Anyone experienced this or can tell me where to start looking?

Is the shock absorber still oil tight? Loss of damping could allow the suspension to top or bottom out resulting in a clunk as you described.
Alan R

Similar thread recently, have you got a top box on?

They tend to rattle about and the sound bounces off your screen or body work and sounds like it’s coming from in front of you

Last chap I suggested this to found it was indeed the problem

Similar thread recently, have you got a top box on?

They tend to rattle about and the sound bounces off your screen or body work and sounds like it’s coming from in front of you

Last chap I suggested this to found it was indeed the problem
Interesting theory but Ican feel it through the handlebats. I’ll try without the topbox sometime just to be sure.

Agree with Alan R here. Had exactly the same clunking symptoms recently. Checked and found oil leaking from front shock. Replaced under warranty.

Agree with Alan R here. Had exactly the same clunking symptoms recently. Checked and found oil leaking from front shock. Replaced under warranty.
Hmmm. I must admit I’ve been wondering whether to go for a suspension workover by sending them to Wilburs...... How deep are my pocketses?

“Suspension bushes”
Any particular suspect?

There are only two upper or lower,

Access permitting, you could try spraying the upper and lower fixings with antiperspirant ( it drys to a white powder ) - Check for paint suitability first ;) )

and then dropping the bike of the centre stand to see if you get any movement marked in the powder

Failing that, its remove the shock to see if any wear is evident - but if your going to get them overhauled Denzo from this parish his your man

Has your bike had the collar put on the top of the forks? I'd also be checking the fork seals, my left seal blew recently and made a big clunk noise when leaving the driveway

What about the disc to disc carrier mountings?

Front brake on and gently rock the 'bike backwards and forwards .... while listening!

:beerjug:

There are only two upper or lower,

Access permitting, you could try spraying the upper and lower fixings with antiperspirant ( it drys to a white powder ) - Check for paint suitability first ;) )

and then dropping the bike of the centre stand to see if you get any movement marked in the powder

Failing that, its remove the shock to see if any wear is evident - but if your going to get them overhauled Denzo from this parish his your man
Unfortunately I use a roll-on so it looks like a shock bushing inspection then.

At 38k and if they've worked hard on Aberdeen roads as you describe, then your shocks would almost certainly benefit from an overhaul. I've only had pre-LC bikes but have had a rear shock die at 5 years and 26k and both shocks refurbed on a twin cam at 35k (which they definitely needed, the rear was badly worn and on its way out). DenzO's work is well regarded and excellent value.

Is the shock absorber still oil tight? Loss of damping could allow the suspension to top or bottom out resulting in a clunk as you described.
Alan R

You win the Mars Bar. There's a lot of oil around the bottom mount so it looks like a refurbishment is needed.

Back
Top Bottom