Anakee to ContiTrailAttack 3 DO IT NOW!

Please put up a thread with your thoughts on the Mutants...... I have Dunlop Meridian on my Crosstourer and am curious to try the Mutants.

Sent by an Android
How do you like the Meridian, I’d wouldve tried the Mutants but they’d don’t do 21 front. A local tyre fitter rides a GS and he really likes the Meridian.

How do you like the Meridian, I’d wouldve tried the Mutants but they’d don’t do 21 front. A local tyre fitter rides a GS and he really likes the Meridian.
Meridian are fantastic.....lovely neutral Dunlop turn in and stick like glue in any conditions (no experience with them off road..... I don't off road)

Due a change shortly and am just curious about the Mutants.

I would highly recommend the Meridian to anyone.

Sent by an Android

If they're anything like the Trailmax TR91 I had on an earlier GS they'll be great. Those were the proverbial shit to a blanket tyres.
Dunlop certainly seem to know what they are doing alright.
I have used the Trailmax also.....no longer available unfortunately (I think )

Sent by an Android

I have run Rally STRs, TA3s, and Mutants (current) on the 1250GS.

Mutants are a brilliant all-rounder - especially in the damp/wet. In terms of handling, they are on par with the TA3s. In terms of wet grip, they are way ahead. In terms of dry grip, Mutants are in between the Rally STRs and TA3s. The downside of the TA3s and Mutants - compared to the STRs - is their relative lack of feel and feedback. The STRs have soft sidewalls and a carcass that gives loads of feedback, similar to the best Pirellis. The STRs give up their grip before either the Mutants or TA3s and there is block movement in aggressive road riding at pace/lean. The downside of the Mutants from what I can tell so far, is that they will not last as long as the TA3s.
Overall, the Mutants are my favourite year-round tyre so far... they are plenty grippy enough for fast road riding... but give huge confidence in the wet, and offer strong gravel performance. If you are a fair-weather rider only, and regularly ride to the limit on dry roads, the TA3 is grippier and longer lasting.

Will try the Mutants on the Gs as have a set I took off the Multi V4 . They felt good on the V4 but showed up the weakness of the tread pattern when used in anger on the roads (dry / damp) conditions and after two ride outs the wear was showing up at an alarming rate , the TA 3 can take more abuse and will last well (2500k ish) Never go off road on mine so the STR has ever been on my list as feel its too off road focus and will have similar if worse traits than the Mutant. The TA 3 is perhaps the best option to chaps who like to push the bikes on the roads. The TA3 worked well on the V4 as well and proved , even with the extra power the tyres just dealt with it.
Like the OP said the TA3 is brilliant and all Gs riders I ride with use them now after seen the benefits from there usual brands . Even the adored Roadtech was proven to be in second place to a rider who swore by them and then changed over.

Stick, indeed the wear rate of the Mutants is high. I have noticed that they are very pressure sensitive. Drop them a few pounds and the stiff sidewalls hold the tyre up well, but grip increases even more. For pushing the bikes on hot/dry ground, the TA3s are better. Anything wet, the Mutants are superb.

Genuine question: lots of people talk about ‘grip’.
How do you know if any particular tyre affords good or poor grip in dry conditions.
To evaluate how much ‘grip’ a tyre has you have to find the limit of that tyres grip.
Are folk running out of grip when banked over at incredible lean angles and laying darkies?
Braking hard?
Pushing the front provoking a slide?
I can’t really imagine any conditions where I’d lose ‘grip’ on any suitable and recommended tyre when road riding…

Yes you can feel it when a tyre loses grip at lean - obviously in the wet, but also in the dry. I have also had the front slide - in damp and dry'ish conditions. However, these are at extremis and when riding faster than normal. In regular sedate riding, all tyres offer plentiful grip and will never see their limits. But it is at the limit that tyres earn their keep. Ride at pace, especially if with good (not just competent) sportsbike riders in group, and on a heavy bike like the GS, those limits [of the tyre] are quite accessible.

How do you know if any particular tyre affords good or poor grip in dry conditions.
To evaluate how much ‘grip’ a tyre has you have to find the limit of that tyres grip.
Are folk running out of grip when banked over at incredible lean angles and laying darkies?
Braking hard?
I can’t really imagine any conditions where I’d lose ‘grip’ on any suitable and recommended tyre when road riding…
Well , good question , but if say you ride a road that you know well , understand the surface etc , you can indeed find variances on the ability of tyres to "grip" as you say. eg : The Roadtech O1 has the strange feel under braking of weaving on the front , still gripping but un nerving the the bikes suspension.
The Mutants , great grip but feel a bit uncommunative with the bike ( a dunlop trait?) TA 3 seem to have a constant connection with the bike in almost all conditions from cruising to ragging the edges.
Pushing the front to provoke a slide / well again if you dont push you will find it hard to find the sweet spot , push an Annakee and you will find it early push a TA 3 and it wont give even up to a close edge on the front and never feels that it will let go.
Spain would be one place where the conditions of ' lose grip ' (quote) as the the surfaces can draw you into belive that alls good but then a polished bit pops up , over the years riding there on both Gs and V4 the TA has been the best and most consitent meter of grip for me and deals well with all.
Dont get me wrong , stick a set of M9rr on and that would be fantastic , but I would need a tyre with more than 1000 miles of life in it. IMHO We all have different thoughts but the reply is about the OP.

I’ve just come back from a trip to the Italian and Swiss Alps with a fair few miles done on highways. Im on CTA3s and also noticed the front feeling less than planted when cruising at the limit. Though overall I prefer these to the original Bridgestones the OEM tyres felt rock solid at high speed.

In regular sedate riding, all tyres offer plentiful grip and will never see their limits.
They probably won`t with me!
Now that i`ve entered the Autumn of my riding career i`m just happy to take it a bit easier and love to just wallow and relax in the pool of torque and flexibility that is the 1250 engine and enjoy the ride. I do have my moments though, and minimal `chicken strips` on my A41`s!

The only time i think i can remember running out of grip was when i was despatching in the eighties and fitted a used, cheap and incorrectly-sized back tyre on my trusty CX500.
Approaching one of my favourite roundabouts planning to scrape the pegs all the way around the rear end let go at a crucial moment when leant right over, then hooked up again...
The highside that immediately followed flung me out of the saddle and into a prone position lying across the handlebars.
There was a second or two whilst still hanging on and in some sort of control when i thought to myself `i can save this`, i didn`t.
To be fair that was not running out of grip, but running out of tyre.....

ps
I seem to have had quite a few instances lately where loose gravel has given me a bit of a moment on the bike, the worst one was where it wasn`t just loose gravel but something that resembled a gravel trap, it must of been 1 - 2" deep. The roads are dire in places. Even though i saw it coming up and slowed right down the front end tucked under the instant it hit the loose stuff prompting a foot down deployment in a nanosecond to save the day. Didn`t help that Mrs Hann was on the back adding to the weight. There`s no tyre that`ll save you from that kinda` crap..

Braking hard?

I found it yesterday on my Tenere 700, whilst cranked over on a right handed bend (in a series of 4-5 twisty bends) on the road near Masham
Nearly home on roads I knew well
Dry and sunny

Just done a 120 mile run out in the Dales

97581f461fb1717956918a669a68a84f.jpg

New rear tyre - Avon Trekrider which had covered about 160 miles since fitting & nicely worn in

Back stepped out about 6-8” whilst cranked over & I had to take a dab with my right foot (new boots too, ffs ) & managed got the bike upright and dropped it back in, to the bend

Dunno why, nothing on road (oil/diesel or gravel) just pushing too hard, I guess

When I got home I couldn’t see anything on the tyre and it was nicely worn to the edges, though

I pick my tyres with grip as a priory.
Noise is hardly a problem when your riding a GS that cuts silently through the air about as effective as a castle.

Lol, this made me laugh out loud! Couldn't describe the aerodynamics (or lack of) of a GS better!

Modern tyres are excellent in terms of grip and feedback (or feel). Almost all losses of grip are down to rider input error or sudden changes in surface grip. Ridden smoothly, especially in dry conditions, any modern tyre will carry bike and rider around a corner. It's when brake, acceleration or direction inputs are added to the equation that adverse things tend to happen.

Braking hard?

I think of grip of how stable the Bike is under acceleration, Braking, cornering, full of luggage, riding in less than ideal conditions etc. If the Bike feels stable, behaves in a predictable manner & responds to my inputs then it has good grip. If it doesn't respond to my inputs, slides unexpectedly, feels unstable etc then it does not have good grip. And in none of these occasions am i riding beyond my skill level, close to my ability level or in an inappropriate manner
This is how i felt about the Michelin Road 6 - less grip, vs the CTA3 - high grip.
On my previous Bike (F800ST) i love PR5's - great all round tyre. On the GS it was the complete opposite feeling.

Had Road Attack 3s on before the TA3s, there’s no difference in grip as far as my limited capacities can tell, the TA3s are just a bit quicker steering

However the TA3s do get a bit floaty on the front end at speed and they also track a bit on white lines and grooves in the road, I don’t remember the RA3s doing either of those things, maybe they squared off a bit quicker :nenau

it won’t be for a while but when I do change next I will probably try a set of Road Attack 4s

Reactions: PWP
Had my TA3,s fitted today. Night and day difference in road noise from the Anakee tyres. Not had chance to try anything else yet though.

Reactions: PWP
Anakees came with my new 1250 adv…out the door I could certainly hear them more than any tire I’ve had before.
However after 120 miles they weren’t as bad as they were from leaving the dealer and having had a decent run on some twistier roads I found the Anakees to do a pretty good job overall, and are more than capable for my level of riding.

Look pretty good on the bike….will not be risking to swap them out.

They probably are louder but I can deal with that for 4k miles or whatever they last for.

I have now done 2 Eurotrips to the Eifel mountains and Ardennes, some commuting around town, plus the GS Trophy last weekend - all on the same pair of Mutants. I can hands down say they are my favourite road-biased tyre for the GS, better overall compared to the TA3, and performed remarkably well on dry packed gravel around Walters Arena.

Braking hard?
to answer your questions honestly, they talk shit and have no idea, and ride no where near the limits of the bike or tyre.

Back
Top Bottom