Why the price difference?

Scotsrick

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After writing off my 1200 GS I'm seriously considering a new 1250.

However another contender is the RS. (Although I can't seem to even find one to sit on never mind test ride).

A top spec RS seems very similar in spec to a GS but is £3-4k less in list price.

Am I missing anything in the spec or are BMW just charging more because its a more popular bike?

I'm assuming a great deal of the tech is the same on both.

It's because you are comparing the price of a basic RT against a GS/A TE, not a basic GS/A. Once you add onto the bits to the RT that you get as part of the package for a GS/A TE you are at similar or higher price. Basic GS/A is cheaper than a basic RT.

edit - quick check would seem to confirm that if you spec up the RT against what you get on the GSA, the RT is about 1500 more. (Can't see the RS on the configurator, but assume it's similarly priced).

It's because you are comparing the price of a basic RT against a GS/A TE, not a basic GS/A. Once you add onto the bits to the RT that you get as part of the package for a GS/A TE you are at similar or higher price. Basic GS/A is cheaper than a basic RT.

edit - quick check would seem to confirm that if you spec up the RT against what you get on the GSA, the RT is about 1500 more. (Can't see the RS on the configurator, but assume it's similarly priced).
Er he says RS NOT RT?

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Er he says RS NOT RT?

er, I said that the RS is not on the configurator and that I'm not sure about the RT/RS price difference. Do you know, can you help, or is this the extent of your contribution to the discussion?

Really,so why would different models be priced similarly?

"Oh dear, I didn't see that, what else can I throw back at the poster. Ah ha!"

Yep, got my models mixed up, rather than versions.

In my country, the RT, without radio package is priced like the Bumble Bee anniversary 1250 GSA.
A loaded RS without the panniers is priced 20% lower.

Gs /gsa range are like all big adventure bike ranges, they are more popular at the moment so bmw know people will pay the extra money

Coming back to the RS, the difference still isn't 3-4k. If you added all available spec that you get on a TE GS, it's 1.5k less, without going into all the nuts and bolts.

One of the reasons I bought my 1250RS, great choice I absolutely love it, I had a 2021 S1000XR TE previously, I didn't get on with it ,just couldn't gel with it at all.

I looked at the RS in 2020 before getting my 1250 GS TE and the price of the RS once I'd added all the various packs to match what was on the TE was far less than the sum you've quoted. Something else to check would be the trade in value of the 2 if that's what you intend to later as I wouldn't be surprised if the RS will loose more as the dealer will have a value based on the model without the additional packs. How much they would allow you for those on top I don't know but might be worth checking before you decide.

One of the reasons I bought my 1250RS, great choice I absolutely love it, I had a 2021 S1000XR TE previously, I didn't get on with it ,just couldn't gel with it at all.

I've tried all the 900-1000 roadsters across the range, and the RS is unique in that it offers a level of comfort and tractability offered by none of the others. Would definitely be my choice of a roadster. Having said that, after a day of using one and then getting back on the GS I knew I'd stepped back into more comfortable slippers.

I've tried all the 900-1000 roadsters across the range, and the RS is unique in that it offers a level of comfort and tractability offered by none of the others. Would definitely be my choice of a roadster. Having said that, after a day of using one and then getting back on the GS I knew I'd stepped back into more comfortable slippers.

not as fast as the rs probably but there is now suzuki's 1000 gt bike to consider. not as fancy and some cheaper bits than the rs but having a vstrom 650 after a 1200gs i am pleasantly surprised. got to be worth a look. .

New Guzzi next year…

Back
Top Bottom