Won't start

Blocked tank breather/filler cap breather .. ?? :nenau
Tried it without the fuel cap - just the same.

I have however, found what appears to be a vacuum pipe from the manifold between the cylinders that ends in an open pipe. Doesn't seem to be anywhere it could connect to (certainly not the fuel tap). Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpeg
    IMG_2815.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2813.jpg
    IMG_2813.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 102
Remove air filter liberally spray some carb cleaner place hand over throat of carb and push the button!

Tried it without the fuel cap - just the same.

I have however, found what appears to be a vacuum pipe from the manifold between the cylinders that ends in an open pipe. Doesn't seem to be anywhere it could connect to (certainly not the fuel tap). Pics below.
Turn off the fuel tap, undo the bolt on the bottom of the float bowl and drain what fuel is in there (have some rags under it), tighten the bolt back up then turn the fuel back on, then press the 'go button' and see what happens...... actually turn the fuel tap back on before tightening the bolt just to make sure you have a fuel flow from the tank, if you have then tighten the bolt up :thumb2

I have however, found what appears to be a vacuum pipe from the manifold between the cylinders that ends in an open pipe.

That doesn't sound right, have you tried blocking or nipping the pipe, spinning it over and seeing what it does?

Turn off the fuel tap, undo the bolt on the bottom of the float bowl and drain what fuel is in there (have some rags under it), tighten the bolt back up then turn the fuel back on, then press the 'go button' and see what happens...... actually turn the fuel tap back on before tightening the bolt just to make sure you have a fuel flow from the tank, if you have then tighten the bolt up :thumb2
Sounds easy if you say it quickly but it's an S&S carb that has 4 bolts to remove the bowl some of which are not accessible with the carb and/or exhaust in situ.

It's been a long time since I looked at an S&S Super E carb but I have a feeling that the pipe in photos 1 & 3 should run from the inlet manifold to the back of the air cleaner base/mounting plate

Just check the rear of the base plate to see if there is a lug that the hose in photo 1 slips on to :thumb2

That vacuum pipe connects to a vacuum switch on a stock ignition.
Some aftermarket ignitions dont use the switch in which case the pipe should be plugged.
Oh and drain the float bowl.

It's been a long time since I looked at an S&S Super E carb but I have a feeling that the pipe in photos 1 & 3 should run from the inlet manifold to the back of the air cleaner base/mounting plate

Just check the rear of the base plate to see if there is a lug that the hose in photo 1 slips on to :thumb2

That vacuum pipe connects to a vacuum switch on a stock ignition.
Some aftermarket ignitions dont use the switch in which case the pipe should be plugged.
Oh and drain the float bowl.

Further investigation (RTFM) reveals that the vacumm pipe has a number of possible uses; for the ignition advance/retard (not on this one), something to do with the fuel tap (likewise not this one) or the cold-start enrichment system (choke to you and me).

I have found a tube next to the float bowl that the pipe can be connected to. It's not a natural place for the rubber pipe to bend to but it can (just) be made to fit with a degree of persuasion.

Still won't start though.

Sounds easy if you say it quickly but it's an S&S carb that has 4 bolts to remove the bowl some of which are not accessible with the carb and/or exhaust in situ.
Has the S&S carb float bowl not got a single 'drain bolt' at the bottom? I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny if it has or not.

Is it possible to take a photo of the float bowl?

Has the S&S carb float bowl not got a single 'drain bolt' at the bottom? I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny if it has or not.

Is it possible to take a photo of the float bowl?
Video here of removing the float bowl and carb. 4 flathead screws some of which are inaccessible on this bike without removing the exhaust.

Bowl removal at 2:00.

Don't remove the float bowl just drain it for starters by removing the brass drain plug at the bottom of the bowl :thumb2

Drain plug/bolt here.

Make sure you put a rag or suitable container under there to catch the fuel, then follow post #65

Attachments

• 03E5BAA7-8637-4027-9771-B98EAE12BFBE.jpg
    03E5BAA7-8637-4027-9771-B98EAE12BFBE.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 155
Is there a shortage of garages down there ?

How are we getting on with this?

Have we removed the drain plug from the float bowl yet?

probably not he's been too busy winding into other people about areas of law and definitions of legal terms.....

Back
Top Bottom