Camille's big rebuild

sycomoto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well today i've started the strip down on Camille:eek: So far the tank and rear bodywork are off, the bevel box is off and i'm trying to fathom how the swingarm comes apart. It looks like the job may be a big un but i'm sure when its done she'll look splendid. I'll try to get some photos on later so you can see where i'm upto:thumb2

a few photos

here you go.

Attachments

• DSC02424_1665.JPG
    DSC02424_1665.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,074
  • DSC02427_1668.JPG
    DSC02427_1668.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,061
  • DSC02429_1670.JPG
    DSC02429_1670.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 2,088
some pics of how she should look

from what i can see is there are different versions of the 84 bike, so here are a selection.

bugger......

and again.... This is what i want to return her too. just need a tank and water tank now:blast

Attachments

• Hubert%20Auriol%201984.jpg
    Hubert%20Auriol%201984.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,172
  • 84dash.jpg
    84dash.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,079
  • 84mcg.jpg
    84mcg.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,088
  • gaston.jpg
    gaston.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,025
i'm trying to fathom how the swingarm comes apart.

Is that because you've not removed one before or because this one is somehow different?

I think that you've made life more difficult for yourself by removing the rear wheel and FD before undoing the gearbox output-flange to shaft UJ bolts (I'm only saying that as it looks as though the gaiter is undisturbed. My apologies in advance if that isn't the case).

you may be right

:blast
Is that because you've not removed one before or because this one is somehow different?

I think that you've made life more difficult for yourself by removing the rear wheel and FD before undoing the gearbox output-flange to shaft UJ bolts (I'm only saying that as it looks as though the gaiter is undisturbed. My apologies in advance if that isn't the case).

i've sussed it now. i think its the standard type arrangment where its pins that lock the swinger in place. now i've just got to undo the shaft:eek

You can take the shaft out if you have a large vice and a bearing splitter (or a plate with a few holes in it). But it's probably easier to take it to a BMW dealer. Pidcocks chearged me £10 the last time they did one for me.

ah.....

doesn't just pull out then:augie i guess a drive over to birmingham to clarks is in the offing then...:eek:

swing arm is out and

You can take the shaft out if you have a large vice and a bearing splitter (or a plate with a few holes in it). But it's probably easier to take it to a BMW dealer. Pidcocks chearged me £10 the last time they did one for me.

it looks like the shaft is easy to remove. Its fitted with the special hpn jobbie so all i need to do is grip it from the gearbox end and remove the 17mm nut at the other end and hey presto out it will come. it has none of the preload spring arrangment of the original.
next step is to remove the engine, can this be done with the gearbox in situe.

Si, get a manual, It will save you lots of time even though camile is different most of the way it is put together will be the same.

today i shall be mostly

re:confused:moving the electrics, gearbox and engine. the frame will be off for stripping and powdercoating next week and the forks will be sent to a friend in crewe for a full rebuild next weekend. I'm going to give the engine and box the bicarb treatment to see if we can bring it all back like new so you never know she may be ready for a big unvailing at the wee-kend:thumb2

well she's just a bunch of bits now

been busy today, got the gearbox out this morning then engine out (not easy on yer own:eek) then it was just a case of stripping bits off the frame, forks and yokes out and bobs yer uncle Ican now start delivering bits about the country for removation:clap

Attachments

• DSC02431_1679.JPG
    DSC02431_1679.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,845
  • DSC02437_1685.JPG
    DSC02437_1685.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,847
  • DSC02432_1680.JPG
    DSC02432_1680.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,831
  • DSC02439_1687.JPG
    DSC02439_1687.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,843
Absolute bitch of a job to get the engine out on your own with the starter motor, timing cover and cylinders all in place. I'm impressed. I bet your back aching now :comfort

naar not to bad

Absolute bitch of a job to get the engine out on your own with the starter motor, timing cover and cylinders all in place. I'm impressed. I bet your back aching now :comfort

just could have done with another pair of hands to steady the frame as i lifted, had one point where the engine was going one way, frame and forks going the other:eek: used a spare leg to get it all back in line, musta looked like a wierd joga move:D

All the bits went off today

loads of bits went to be stripped today :thumb2 so we can get on with the cleaning of the motor and gearbox now:clap the only issue i've had and maybe someone of wisdom on here can help. The HPN cardon shaft is being a right royal pain in the arse. the top nut that holds the drive spline came off with no real issues but can i seperate the spline piece, like hell can i. i'm guessing its threaded not sure which way but i think its a clock wise cos that would make sense. The issue is gripping the bloody thing, with the UG in a vice i have no way of gripping the splined end with enough grip to turn it. Any ideas.:nenau

Back
Top Bottom