Apple CarPlay on a bike…

Even I, who is against increasing complexity on bikes occasionally uses it. It’s worth having …..don’t tell Arsey I admit that 😆

To answer what is (I assume) your question, it is becoming increasingly popular on motorcycles, for exactly the same reason that it is already very popular in cars.

Its ability to link automatically and reliably with the rider’s phone and to display / run assorted app’s is useful. That the system can - with the right apps - also all but replace a standalone GPS unit (which themselves have morphed into some kind of ‘must have’ home infotainment system) is seen as a clear winner.

Of course there will be the diehards who believe that none of this is necessary at all, just as there is some who claim to never, ever go anywhere near a motorway. That’s freedom of choice, or pigheaded stubbornness, depending on your view.

So can someone please enlighten me as exactly this can ba achieved on a current TFT version GSA

thank you

To answer what is (I assume) your question, it is becoming increasingly popular on motorcycles, for exactly the same reason that it is already very popular in cars.

Its ability to link automatically and reliably with the rider’s phone and to display / run assorted app’s is useful. That the system can - with the right apps - also all but replace a standalone GPS unit (which themselves have morphed into some kind of ‘must have’ home infotainment system) is seen as a clear winner.

Of course there will be the diehards who believe that none of this is necessary at all, just as there is some who claim to never, ever go anywhere near a motorway. That’s freedom of choice, or pigheaded stubbornness, depending on your view.
My daughter is buying a new 23 Yaris. There is no oem sat nav fitted , all models have Carplay or Android Auto Installed Instead

So can someone please enlighten me as exactly this can ba achieved on a current TFT version GSA

thank you
Not physically on the TFT but you could swap your satnav out for one of these. Havent a clue how good they are though. Loads available on ALiexpress/ Amaon etc etc. Also a lot of reviews on Youtube

509483401_max.jpg

I use it all the time in the car - but on a bike? Really?

I'm very keen to try this.

Android Auto in front of me on the bike sounds great.
Phone tucked away somewhere safe.

I witnessed Jochen's phone fly off his bike and get destroyed......and it has me thinking ever since.

It's easy to say that you use this mount or that mount but it can happen with any set up.

I think the Car Play/Android Auto "screens" are a great idea

(maybe Garmin/TomTom won't be as enthusiastic)

Sent by an Android

I'm very keen to try this.

Android Auto in front of me on the bike sounds great.
Phone tucked away somewhere safe.

I witnessed Jochen's phone fly off his bike and get destroyed......and it has me thinking ever since.

It's easy to say that you use this mount or that mount but it can happen with any set up.

I think the Car Play/Android Auto "screens" are a great idea

(maybe Garmin/TomTom won't be as enthusiastic)

Sent by an Android
I agree with you on this where riders use their phone for sat nav - especially if off road where your phone mount is most likely to give up in a fall etc … last thing I’d want is to find myself alone with a broken phone and unable to pick up the bike or worse injured.

And options to manage Spotify or access emails (for example to find booking in details when arriving at a campsite) on a bigger screen is a real luxury bonus 👍

Anyone tried any of the different car play android auto screens? How seamless is the connection? Any lag, sound issues when connecting to Bluetooth?

I use a good app "Auto-Mate" on my Android.
Had to find an alternative when Google done away with "Android Auto for Phone"

It's set up to launch automatically when my phone connects to my Cardo.

Almost mimics the functionality of Android Auto. (maps, music player, phone etc)

Sent by an Android

It works a great on my Wing

6e5f664f75ad35857422418ba44fb5a9.jpg

70c582d7cf20c402322c84d7d77264f6.jpg

The only proviso is it needs a Bluetooth connection to work . I found that on my trip to Picos etc in June with the bike connected to my Neotec 2 the connection would sometimes disconnect when you stopped and restarted again.
The answer was to remove connection to helmet and just use the £5 Bluetooth dongle connected to the USB power point in pannier . Then it was faultless.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

My daughter is buying a new 23 Yaris. There is no oem sat nav fitted , all models have Carplay or Android Auto Installed Instead
Depends on the trim though.
Higher trim Yaris have their own navi.

Keep in mind Yaris (my parents have a ‘23 as well) comes with the older, less capable, multimedia system.

or access emails (for example to find booking in details when arriving at a campsite) on a bigger screen is a real luxury
CarPlay/Android Auto are very good.

You won’t (shouldn’t) be able to check emails via CarPlay, as the actions you can fo while operating a vehicle are limited.
It can read you back text message and you can control (to an extent) Spotify.

For any other, involved, operation you have to stop on the side of the road an pull out your phone.

Ta -good point about accessing email!

so what actual units are people using where it’s not built in to tft.

Seems to be a lot of aliexpress type units on eBay - is there a particular head unit people are using?

Back
Top Bottom