Carpuride W702 on order

Just seen a report on AV rider regarding these units

It appears there just front ends for your phone

So no GPS as such, it uses your phones GPS to do the work, and relays it to the head unit

supposedly similar for your other phone functions
Correct. It more or less mirrors your phone. As Ive an iPhone I use carplay on it. This seems a great solution as I can download MRA routes directly to my phone which is useful especially if your in an area wheres there's no mob signal. The unit cannot operate without being linked to your phone. Great until you damage/lose your phone! But that said you now shouldn't have to take your phone out of your pocket.

Got my W702 today and hoped the hole pattern on the back where the ball is would be a standard AMPS pattern, it isn’t 🤦🏻‍♂️ trying to mount it to the GPS on the 1300 is gonna look dumb with the balls and ram mounts so I’m not sure what to do.

There’s 2 Spanish companies who do a 3D printer adapter so you can use it on the BMW cradle but I bet it ain’t cheap.
One wanted 80 eurons

Its arrived, less than a week from Spain! Fits perfectly. I'm not gonna cut the wiring just yet until I'm happy with the screen, if I'm not then I can always sell it as new, but the mount looks neat.

75B157FD-02D7-4717-82CD-74E9AD6FCE08_4_5005_c.jpeg
D29FDFFE-DEC3-49D9-A386-EABDC690513C_4_5005_c.jpeg

which was the one you got?
I went with the AAGB3D one, but the one by Valiente Motorsports was the same price and looks pretty much the same. The chap who is AAGB3D was really really helpful to be fair.

I went with the AAGB3D one, but the one by Valiente Motorsports was the same price and looks pretty much the same. The chap who is AAGB3D was really really helpful to be fair.
Nice setup, can you give me link to the mount please..jim

Not very impressed with the W702 so far, used it last night and I get the same issue I got with the smaller 5 inch screen (not Carpuride), audio playback when everything is paired via the W702 is choppy at times and sometimes work, but phone calls are awful, I can hear the other person fine but they say they only get every other word of what I'm saying.

Some of the YouTubers are saying it works fine pairing the headset direct to the phone and only pairing the phone to the W702, but, by it's very nature CarPlay once activated shoves all audio over to the CarPlay source. I did get it working but the same problem persists, and sometimes it insists on shoving the audio over to the W702, which is what CarPlay is meant to do anyway.

Have reset everything, removed all the pairings etc etc and same problem persists. It seems the review units Carpuride sent the YouTubers aren't the same software versions as the customer units as mine has a different interface layout than the clips on YouTube.

My other gripe is even with it in Night Mode with the screen as dim as it will go it's still WAY too bright for night time use. Also with my Keis heated gloves on it's infuriatingly bad at being able to recognise the touches.

As a satnav it works flawlessly though but being a Blood Biker I need to be able to use it for phone calls as well.

Not very impressed with the W702 so far, used it last night and I get the same issue I got with the smaller 5 inch screen (not Carpuride), audio playback when everything is paired via the W702 is choppy at times and sometimes work, but phone calls are awful, I can hear the other person fine but they say they only get every other word of what I'm saying.

Some of the YouTubers are saying it works fine pairing the headset direct to the phone and only pairing the phone to the W702, but, by it's very nature CarPlay once activated shoves all audio over to the CarPlay source. I did get it working but the same problem persists, and sometimes it insists on shoving the audio over to the W702, which is what CarPlay is meant to do anyway.

Have reset everything, removed all the pairings etc etc and same problem persists. It seems the review units Carpuride sent the YouTubers aren't the same software versions as the customer units as mine has a different interface layout than the clips on YouTube.

My other gripe is even with it in Night Mode with the screen as dim as it will go it's still WAY too bright for night time use. Also with my Keis heated gloves on it's infuriatingly bad at being able to recognise the touches.

As a satnav it works flawlessly though but being a Blood Biker I need to be able to use it for phone calls as well.
Re screen brightness,
I have a similar issue with Co pilot on my Tab 2, i have the tab set to max brightness (to combat sun glare) however it means co pilot night mode is as bright as day

On my 1150 everything seems to work fine. Before I started I factory reset my helmet comms and the only thing the comms is connected to is the W702. That in turn communicates with my phone. As for night time viewing Ive not tried it. (Im connect via Carplay).

So after speaking to GSD321 (YouTuber) it seems my unit has different firmware than his. Mine looks like this (notice the icons on the top line):

6EF081D2-067B-4CE6-A129-5F273E8286B8_1_105_c.jpeg

Then compare to his:

3CE1E4EB-DCC2-4F36-9414-2CF762EAD06E_1_105_c.jpeg

All the YouTubers seem to have this later update and slightly revised interface. After some back and forth Carpuride came back to me and gave me the latest firmware which I installed this morning and this sees to have enabled a way to tell the Carpuride not to try and output audio via bluetooth, instead my Cardo pairs straight to my phone but I can still control everything from the CarPlay screen. In short, this seems to have fixed my issues.

If anyone wants the firmware file/instructions let me know.

Might it be possible for you to host them on a file sharing platform, perhaps? If so, I’ll create you a sticky, here on the forum.
Sure! I'll upload it to Google Drive! This folder should contain the file:

The instructions they sent me didn't pan out quite the way they described it. But as with anything DO NOT power off the device while the update is running.
They recommend using a MicroSD card of less than 32Gb, they also recommend formatting it to exFAT however in my case this didn't work and I had to format it as FAT32.

Here's what I did:

1. Format MicroSD card (I had to use FAT32)
2. Copy the ISPBOOOT.BIN to the root of the SD card (do NOT put any other files on it)
3. Remove the side cover to expose the SD card slot
4. Power on the unit
5. Insert the MicroSD card
6. Message should come up on the screen saying "Upgrade the MPEGBOOT?"
7. Select Yes
8. Screen should change to a white screen (see below) which eventually says "Success" in the middle
9. Power the unit off
10. Remove MicroSD card
11. Screw SD card slot door back on

71539E9B-D4BA-45AE-9776-A0AEA27C99FA_4_5005_c.jpeg

What I noticed with the latest firmware is that you have the option to have the audio routed to the built in "BTTrans" second channel or switch it to iCarPlay output. It'll tell you each time its powered on which output it's using, so with it set to iCarPlay output my phone just sends the audio and calls direct to my headset rather than trying to route via the W702 and it seems to work flawlessly.

I also managed to set the nighttime brightness much lower which was a bit of a faff but worked eventually.

Sure! I'll upload it to Google Drive! This folder should contain the file:

The instructions they sent me didn't pan out quite the way they described it. But as with anything DO NOT power off the device while the update is running.
They recommend using a MicroSD card of less than 32Gb, they also recommend formatting it to exFAT however in my case this didn't work and I had to format it as FAT32.

Here's what I did:

1. Format MicroSD card (I had to use FAT32)
2. Copy the ISPBOOOT.BIN to the root of the SD card (do NOT put any other files on it)
3. Remove the side cover to expose the SD card slot
4. Power on the unit
5. Insert the MicroSD card
6. Message should come up on the screen saying "Upgrade the MPEGBOOT?"
7. Select Yes
8. Screen should change to a white screen (see below) which eventually says "Success" in the middle
9. Power the unit off
10. Remove MicroSD card
11. Screw SD card slot door back on

View attachment 309327

What I noticed with the latest firmware is that you have the option to have the audio routed to the built in "BTTrans" second channel or switch it to iCarPlay output. It'll tell you each time its powered on which output it's using, so with it set to iCarPlay output my phone just sends the audio and calls direct to my headset rather than trying to route via the W702 and it seems to work flawlessly.

I also managed to set the nighttime brightness much lower which was a bit of a faff but worked eventually.
HI, i tried this update on my 5" version, assuming it was the same, and it's crashed! Do you, anyone, know if there is a recovery file to restore back to original?

HI, i tried this update on my 5" version, assuming it was the same, and it's crashed! Do you, anyone, know if there is a recovery file to restore back to original?
Unfortunately I don’t sorry, the update file is only for the W702 so if it’s bricked I think you’d need to contact Carpuride

Unfortunately I don’t sorry, the update file is only for the W702 so if it’s bricked I think you’d need to contact Carpuride
Thanks, silly mistake on my part!! As a matter of interest when you got the software update from Carpurite did it update to the version numbers that the youtubers have or just a "patch" to allow the bluetooth to helmet connection?

Shouldn't this thread and the other Carpuride one be in the Apple Car Play/Android Auto sub-forum?

So after speaking to GSD321 (YouTuber) it seems my unit has different firmware than his. Mine looks like this (notice the icons on the top line):

View attachment 309286

Then compare to his:

View attachment 309287

All the YouTubers seem to have this later update and slightly revised interface. After some back and forth Carpuride came back to me and gave me the latest firmware which I installed this morning and this sees to have enabled a way to tell the Carpuride not to try and output audio via bluetooth, instead my Cardo pairs straight to my phone but I can still control everything from the CarPlay screen. In short, this seems to have fixed my issues.

If anyone wants the firmware file/instructions let me know.
cant get link to work to upgrade firmware

Shouldn't this thread and the other Carpuride one be in the Apple Car Play/Android Auto sub-forum?

I guess it comes under ‘Other devices’, in that it’s not a tablet but is, as I understand it, a standalone device for displaying assorted apps.

:beerjug:

Last edited:
I contacted Carpuride about getting the updates, still waiting…. Then found this forum!

I have also sent them a nice BMW logo so I can change the boot up screen, will see how long that is

Thanks to all those who shared advice on here, most helpful

Back
Top Bottom