T7 Tenere - vary capable.

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know that in group tests of middle-weight adv bikes, testers often conclude that if you're measuring a bike on its off road ability you'd want the KTM or the Yamaha.

Yesterday was the first time I saw a T7 really used in anger off road. It was the 100 years of motocross event in Camberley / Bagshot and the terrain was tight single bike tracks, twisting through pine forest with lots of short sharp climbs and descents.

There were 3 T7s, they all looked quite well prepped so I am not sure how they would compare with a standard bike, but even amongst a field of much lighter bikes, they did incredibly well. They seemed to manage the bumps, tight turns and steep climbs with absolute ease. You could see that their riders were having quite an easy time, not having to fight the bikes at all.

For bikes sold primarily for road use, these were very impressive indeed off road.

Apologies for the quality of the pics, I can't post them any higher quality.

Picture16.jpgPicture17.jpgPicture18.jpgPicture19.jpgPicture20.jpgPicture22.jpg

They do seem to be the “ Leatherman” of the biking world. Able to mix road off road and serious touring on one bike. Plus a certain Mr Sanders rode one around the world!

They do seem to be the “ Leatherman” of the biking world. Able to mix road off road and serious touring on one bike. Plus a certain Mr Sanders rode one around the world!
The Colonel himself.....?

Sent with a Zen10

I had one when they came out, didn’t keep it long, but then again I don’t keep anything long. It rode well but I found it a bit bland. I’m looking at the Tuareg now, on paper and in the reviews it’s a winner. More torque, bhp, mapping, TFT, better suspension, cruise control for road miles and a stunning looker to my eyes.

I had one when they came out, didn’t keep it long, but then again I don’t keep anything long. It rode well but I found it a bit bland. I’m looking at the Tuareg now, on paper and in the reviews it’s a winner. More torque, bhp, mapping, TFT, better suspension, cruise control for road miles and a stunning looker to my eyes.
It's decent value, too, alongside its competitors and possibly more character?

T7's are (relatively) light and have made adventure biking accessible to lots of people providing a comfortable bike thats capable off road at a reasonable price. It's one of the most common adventure bike I see on byways, and legends like Pol Tarres show what can be done on them.

The Taureg seems a bit more under the radar but as @Akulaking says is getting brilliant press reviews and appears to be a better and cheaper proposition.

I'd go for the Taureg if I was in the market. I can't get excited about the KTM 890 option, even though thats likely to be the best off road. The Taureg's are on offer at under 10K.

Loved this review. (This might have been posted already here).

Best read the Tuareg 660 thread on Adv Rider then
It’s quite enlightening and insightful
You may want to have a read, before you buy one
A lot of the posts on there seem to be 1-2 years old, hopefully by now these issues will have been addressed, also many of them are from America and cite relatively few dealerships and difficulties getting parts as part of the issue. Not such a problem here.
There is the old adage about people only posting when they have a problem too. You wouldn’t buy anything if you went by forum reviews, there are enough posts on here to put you off buying a GS.
KTM always get the reliability stick waved at them, but as a family we’ve had 390, 690, 790, 890, 990, 1190 and 1290 models between us with no issues with any of them. I know people on here have, but that’s our findings.
You pays your money and you makes your choice.

A lot of the posts on there seem to be 1-2 years old, hopefully by now these issues will have been addressed, also many of them are from America and cite relatively few dealerships and difficulties getting parts as part of the issue. Not such a problem here.
There is the old adage about people only posting when they have a problem too. You wouldn’t buy anything if you went by forum reviews, there are enough posts on here to put you off buying a GS.
KTM always get the reliability stick waved at them, but as a family we’ve had 390, 690, 790, 890, 990, 1190 and 1290 models between us with no issues with any of them. I know people on here have, but that’s our findings.
You pays your money and you makes your choice.

I was reading that Tuareg 660 thread this morning and it’s bang up to date
Also the Facebook page is a good balance
Llewelyn Pavey is probably riding a press bike and hasn’t had to pay for it himself

I was reading that Tuareg 660 thread this morning and it’s bang up to date
Also the Facebook page is a good balance
Llewelyn Pavey is probably riding a press bike and hasn’t had to pay for it himself
Just discovered the Facebook page, maybe I’m not seeing the thread you’re talking about, what are the issues? I’ve seen the oil leaks and rough running/idle stuff. Several people on YouTube have done long term reviews, and reasonable mileages . Some reputable guys like Big Rock Moto and MAD tv.

Last edited:
Just discovered the Facebook page, maybe I’m not seeing the thread you’re talking about, what are the issues? I’ve seen the oil leaks and rough running/idle stuff. Several people on YouTube have done long term reviews, and reasonable mileages . Some reputable guys like Big Rock Moto and MAD tv.
This the thread https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-aprilia-tuareg-660.1411720/

Oil consumption 2-300ml at every 1000 miles
Shims either missing or incorrectly installed (upside down) in the forks from new
Serious misfire/stumble which some get and others don't (vids on YT)
They're not all bad, but some of the QC is 'Italian'
Shame as I have a Guzzi/Aprillia dealer only 5 miles away and everyone reckons the bikes ride well
Maybe I will try one out

Shims either missing or incorrectly installed (upside down) in the forks from new
Shame as I have a Guzzi/Aprillia dealer only 5 miles away and everyone reckons the bikes ride well
Maybe I will try one out
I for a second thought that list of comments was on the T7 .

Mine doesn't have any of those issues, that's because its NOT an Aprilla .

Maybe I will try one out
Aah that’s the thread I was looking at, 721 pages long! I only skimmed through it. Thanks for summarising.
Guess it’s luck of the draw whether you get a good one, which really is ridiculous . I’d like to see the numbers sold in relation to the number of ones with issues. So many people sing their praises regarding ride, handling etc,
Oil consumption of 2-300ml is roughly a litre every 4-5k miles. Not good but not the worst out there. Does the misfire get corrected with the latest software update? I think I’ve read somewhere it helps. I’m guessing the forks problem would be immediately noticeable with clunking/play etc, and fixable with a visit to the dealer.
I really want to buy one of these and I know a test ride will confirm that.
I’ll read through more of that thread tonight, just to confuse me further.
Isn’t this how Italian bikes used to be, gorgeous, great handling, but iffy build quality and reliability?

Aah that’s the thread I was looking at, 721 pages long! I only skimmed through it. Thanks for summarising.
Guess it’s luck of the draw whether you get a good one, which really is ridiculous . I’d like to see the numbers sold in relation to the number of ones with issues. So many people sing their praises regarding ride, handling etc,
Oil consumption of 2-300ml is roughly a litre every 4-5k miles. Not good but not the worst out there. Does the misfire get corrected with the latest software update? I think I’ve read somewhere it helps. I’m guessing the forks problem would be immediately noticeable with clunking/play etc, and fixable with a visit to the dealer.
I really want to buy one of these and I know a test ride will confirm that.
I’ll read through more of that thread tonight, just to confuse me further.
Isn’t this how Italian bikes used to be, gorgeous, great handling, but iffy build quality and reliability?
I think that kinda sums it up
That thread is worth a read, some topics crop up a lot, so you be assures that they are not just one-offs and other items seem to be singular issues, that surface once and then did a death (so not a relevant complaint) and there is plenty of praise for the Aprillia from a lot of quarters
The Aprillia 660 seems to be better in all respects, than the T700
Tubeless rims
Cruise
Better suspension (same 43mm as the T700 units, but forks with preload)
More power and bhp
Better seat
Quickshifter
TFT
But Yamaha are still selling loads of Tenere 700's for some reason, they seem a solid unit, albeit bland in terms of power and bhp - chassis is really good though

Not to mention various rider modes, 6 axis IMU (I think), alloy brake/gear lever/sidestand, switchable traction control etc.
I can’t speak for the latest T7 but my early model with the LCD display had a menu system that only went forward via the switch, not back. Invariably if when you scrolled through you’d miss the thing you want, then have to go round again to get to it, you couldn’t just go back. Only a niggle but it bothered me.
I also had total instant headlight failure on it, after about 100 miles. I was down a dark country lane doing running in duties on night. Scared the sh1t out of me. It was replaced while I waited at the dealers but they had to pinch one off a showroom bike. I’m not trying to diss the T7, just saying everything can have issues.

Not to mention various rider modes, 6 axis IMU (I think), alloy brake/gear lever/sidestand, switchable traction control etc.
I can’t speak for the latest T7 but my early model with the LCD display had a menu system that only went forward via the switch, not back. Invariably if when you scrolled through you’d miss the thing you want, then have to go round again to get to it, you couldn’t just go back. Only a niggle but it bothered me.
I also had total instant headlight failure on it, after about 100 miles. I was down a dark country lane doing running in duties on night. Scared the sh1t out of me. It was replaced while I waited at the dealers but they had to pinch one off a showroom bike. I’m not trying to diss the T7, just saying everything can have issues.

I don’t find the menu a big issue, annoying at times
Never had much trouble and I like it as it’s a Yamaha
The only bikes that I have trouble with over the years were Italian (only 2 but plagued with electrical gremlins)
My Japanese bikes and the beemers have been fine

Back
Top Bottom