8 month report from new rider + qstn to the experienced

Leeman

8 Mths in and still loving the experience of both riding and more importanly riding a GSA.

Of course upon passing my test in May 08, I was advised against buying a big ol' GS, but I can honestly say it was the best thing I could have done. Passed my test on a Friday and promptly bought my 02 1150 GSA the very next day. Yes, you do have to get used to the weight, but as I had nothing to compare it to other than the little 500 I'd passed the test on, I just made damn sure the thing stayed up right whenever I was at a stand still or attempting slow speed manoeuvers.

I think I've probably dropped it about 4 times, generally on small private roads and mostly whilst trying to park in the wrong place (you learn very quickly with these bikes, where a good spot and a bad spot is) but once at the traffic lights of a major intersection - embarassing yes but with a helmet on nobody can see the redenned flushing going on underneath. Thankfully, the GS is not only built strong but also has one of those handy wrap around bar thingy's that prevent a misshap like that damaging the important bits.

I will admit that getting the thing back on its wheels is still an art ive yet to fully master.....brute force seems to be the key though I understand there are easier ways.

For anyone new to biking and thinking of getting a GS, all I can say is .....do it. In my eyes its the safest bike out there. Im sitting high above the traffic when riding to work, people hear and see me coming (especially now the Y piece is on and now that ive fitted a stebel horn). The balance is incredible and cornering is particularly easy for a novice. If you're shorter than average you may struggle, but I hear you can get most bits lowered - seat etc.

Ive taken the bike on countless journeys to Wales, London, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire and planning on a trip to Spain later in the year - destination El Camino Del Ray...if youve never heard of it, look ity up on youtube.....fantastic footage.

Now for the question to the experienced:
Im getting to know the bike, im not mechanically minded so im slowly learning the easy bits of DIY stuff.
Ive just cleaned both front and rear brakes, used the correct copper grease, gave the pads a clean with soft wire wool etc being carful not to put grease on the front of the pads. I did this because it sounded like there was a rubbing sound and i had assumed it was because the brakes were clogged up with road salt and mud.....but there is still a rubbing sound - much like smooth metal on metal.
Any ideas?

Oh and if any one wants to swap a black GSA seat with my yellow and black one or has a cheap black one for sale then let me know. My project - to complete the Rat bike look.

Thanks for all the previous advice also and hope to meet some of you some day at one of the up coming events.

Leeman

Welcome Leeman

Ravenbyrne aka Brian and I bought our first GS's last year and agree that they are fantastic bikes.
Geraldine :aidan:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom