Heated Grips Question

Rotaxmaxracer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been having problems with the heated grips (both at the same time) on my 2011 GS1200TC and wondered if I had a problem with the controller - as both elements either seem to work, or not! I generally find that if I switch them on shortly after starting the bike, or if I leave them on when re-starting, then the grips cease to function.

If I start the bike with them off, ride a few miles then put them on, they do then tend to work, although they don't get anywhere as warm as the grips on my old 06 model - this might be due to the Grip Puppies fitted??

Anyway, before running off to a bike shop to have them replaced, I plugged the GS911 in today and it came back with an interesting result that has made me wonder?

The message that I am getting is exactly the same for both grips (as follows):-

41784/41786: Left & Right-hand grip malfunction - short circuit

The fault is not present now
This fault occurred 10 times
Logistic counter 39
Symptom: Signal or value over the threshold
MIL set: No
Fault code history:-
Odometer 22768 miles
Vehicle speed: 0.00 miles per hour
Battery voltage: 10.19v

I had read somewhere that Canbus will shut down grips drawing a large current if the battery voltage is low (don't know if this is true), but if so I am thinking that perhaps the battery is on its way out (although showing regular 12.6v on oximiser), as she is very slow to turn over and if so, could it be that the grips are being shut down shortly after starting the bike due to battery power drain...but then work if the bike has been ridden a few miles and the alternator having now put some charge back in?

I may be on completely the wrong track here, just seems strange in view of the above? Can anyone provide a more informed view, please?

Thanks in advance

My 2011 TC was the same. Had to ride for half a mile minimum before switching HG on or they wouldn’t work. My whole TC experience was poor to say the least. No issues with my 07’s grips or anything else really.

On my TC if you were running long distances in colder/wet weather and had sat nav , heated grips and driving lights on the Can Bus would at regular intervals switch off the heated grips for 10 or 15 minutes .
Assumed it was a design feature to prevent the battery draining

On my TC if you were running long distances in colder/wet weather and had sat nav , heated grips and driving lights on the Can Bus would at regular intervals switch off the heated grips for 10 or 15 minutes .
Assumed it was a design feature to prevent the battery draining

Makes me wonder even more if I might be onto something here....especially if the battery is less than brilliant?

on my 2010 twin cam std gs,i had the same ,it was the battery,a new one soon sorted it out,and that was that.

I had this same issue on my twincam RT. My heated grips were very poor. Turned out old school halogen lights, heated jacket, heated gloves and seat on were too much for my old yuas a battery. Motobatt does the job nicely though!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I had this same issue on my twincam RT. My heated grips were very poor. Turned out old school halogen lights, heated jacket, heated gloves and seat on were too much for my old yuas a battery. Motobatt does the job nicely though!

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Sorted...thak you. Looks like I might be ordering myself one of those then :)

Ive never had the heated switch off issue but most of my riding has been long runs so I guess the alternator was spinning fast enough to cope. It's more than adequate on paper after all.

I have had the elements pack up - another job for the list

Back
Top Bottom