Driving under the influence of GPS

TheJoker

Reaction score
http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/20/uk-drivers-trust-gps-more-than-their-own-eyes/

From the above source:

We've heard reports before about the dangers of driving while under the influence of GPS, but it looks like drivers in the UK have taken trust of their navigation units to the extreme. Twice in the space of the last two weeks, we've seen reports of British drivers taking serious risks because they trust the info displayed on the small screen more than what they see through their windshield. In the most recent case, drivers passing through the village of Luckington have found themselves landing in the River Avon, by following a GPS-recommended route that pointed to a bridge that has been closed for a week. Despite warning signs on both sides of the road, and nothing but water straight ahead, local villagers have found themselves pulling an average of two cars a day out of the river for the past week. "When you ask what happened, they say, ‘My sat-nav told me it was this way,'" one resident told The Times. Meanwhile, the village of Crackpot (yes, that's really its name) has had to deal with drivers whose navigation systems have directed them to the edge of a cliff with a hundred-foot drop. So far, there have been no serious injuries, but drivers have found themselves stranded on a rocky path. "It's only a matter of time before something happens," said one resident. Listen, we like GPS as much as the next sense-of-direction-impaired driver. But we also do our best to use our eyes, as well. And if you don't, well, there's a village in England named for you, and it ain't Luckington.

:thumb

My GPS told me to turn left as I entered the town of Arrochar, left was straight into Loch Long, I decided against its advice :D

~Stef~ said:
My GPS told me to turn left as I entered the town of Arrochar, left was straight into Loch Long, I decided against its advice :D

And that makes you 1000000 times more intelligent than the silly bunts that were in the paper driving through the 4 feet of water in the ford...

It also works the other way. I used the GPS to take backroads from Wessons in Horam up to the M25. The GPS said turn right and it looked like the entrance to farm track so I guessed it was wrong and there must be another turn a little further along, There wasn't I ended going 20 miles out of my way :rolleyes:

My one kept telling me to turn left whilst on an alp .... I suppose it would have got me down to the next hairpin .... vertically !!

Back
Top Bottom