07 1200GS

Andygbsmith

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought my first modern GS, well modern by my standards.
I’m using it to ride Alaska To Ushuaia.
How are you supposed to change the rear drive oil on the road with limited tools. No drain plug!
So I know the rear drives can be a issue but how often does the oil need changing?

I change mine around about every 6.000 miles when I do the engine oil and filter.
I don't think it really needs doing that often.
What mileage is on your bike?
And has it ever had the final drive rebuilt. I think you'd have more trouble finding the right oil than actually doing the change.
Make sure you have the required tools to drop the drive down and you should be ok
It's not difficult to do.

No help of the oil change but I very much want to know how your trip goes. It’s on my bucket list!

Will you post a blog / updates to the travel section?

the way I heard it - mikeyboy was saying do it the slow way - that way you are forced to get the driveshaft coming off the splines - which is half the battle for repairs - plus you get to check the rear UJ that is prone to dangerous failure....

Bike has 30k with full dealer history to 24k. Owner just did the engine oil.
Nothing is easy if you don’t have the tools and your in a hotel car park. I’ll sort it though.
Anyone know the size of the torx bit for the rear wheel? The only bits missing from the tool kit and the Allen key for the front wheel.
Probably won’t do a blog. Feel free to ask anything though.

check the engine mounts are tight... mine got a bit vibratey at 20k miles and I could get more than half a turn on the big bolts...

when u have the back wheel off check the hub is rusty steel - not cracked aluminium round the wheel bolt holes - they had a recall for that from 2015 - plus a free set of hard brake lines from 2012 they fracture, and a free fuel pump - the high pressure plastic fractures I think came out about 2017 and a free fuel pump relay as it fills with water - much earlier about 2011

Just bought my first modern GS, well modern by my standards.
I’m using it to ride Alaska To Ushuaia.
How are you supposed to change the rear drive oil on the road with limited tools. No drain plug!
So I know the rear drives can be a issue but how often does the oil need changing?

Just sort a BMW dealer en route,I've done this trip and had no trouble getting a service, Google is you friend or have a look on the adventure riders site this us based and you'll be overwelmed with assistance.
Good ;luck and enjoy the trip. And remember, there are no single mosquetoes in Alasker, they are all married with millions of off spring!. You will,al;so find the best steak in the world in Ushiar. (this trip does not improve one's spelling!)

Just Quick P,S from the previous post owing to, the age of the bike and the poor record these final drives have on these models I would recommend you let Mikey boy of this parish give it the once over. Belive me
if it packs up in the wilds of Alaska
(the Dalton?) or Mexico you will be in the proverbial

Back
Top Bottom