Are we the odd ones out?

Mad Hatter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A quiet evening here, sipping whisky and listening to the wind rattling the windows. Browsing around the UKGSer forum the thought struck me that our little airhead section could be a very small minority group, with the majority being folks who have an interest in newer bikes. Myself I lost interest in new bikes in the noughties when sports bikes became miniaturised and more and more electronics gubbins was added to everything. Does that make me a Luddite, I don’t know, but I cannot get excited about any new bike on offer today and prefer the mechanical simplicity of my airheads and oil heads. I know that the marketeers claim that its the ‘buyers’ who demand more and more tech in their bikes (and cars) but I’m not convinced this is true, I think it’s technology for technology’s sake and it’s there because engineers like pushing boundaries, but I may be in the minority here (in fact I’m sure I am and I don’t care). Could be that I’ve reached a ripe old age where I’m cynical about whether things in general are ’progressing’ or actually turning to ratshit……

Have you ever thought of a retro classic...
Triumph Bonneville, Royal Enfield Interceptor, Moto Guzzi V7, BSA 650 Gold Star, Kawasaki W800.
The new Triumph 400 single is looking good.

Have you ever thought of a retro classic...
Triumph Bonneville, Royal Enfield Interceptor, Moto Guzzi V7, BSA 650 Gold Star, Kawasaki W800.
The new Triumph 400 single is looking good.
I tried a Ducati scrambler, but fecked it off when the manual read ‘to adjust the chain on this vehicle please return it to your Ducati dealer’

A few years ago, I was of the same mind. Whilst I had 3 airheads and an 1150, I wasn't interested in new bikes at all.

Then I sat on Astrro's Desert X. Then fate took a hand and my 1150 was written off. I sold an airhead and an old brit bike and a shop soiled 320 mile DDX was mine.

Now, it is a lovely bike and does have electronics and gizmos all over it, however, it's not always the first bike I reach for. The 2 remaining airheads still get plenty of time on the road (and off road), because they're just so rewarding.

When I only had 1 bike, the g/s, I was perfectly happy with it.

If I had to only have one bike, it would be my two airheads. :D

A quiet evening here, sipping whisky and listening to the wind rattling the windows. Browsing around the UKGSer forum the thought struck me that our little airhead section could be a very small minority group, with the majority being folks who have an interest in newer bikes. Myself I lost interest in new bikes in the noughties when sports bikes became miniaturised and more and more electronics gubbins was added to everything. Does that make me a Luddite, I don’t know, but I cannot get excited about any new bike on offer today and prefer the mechanical simplicity of my airheads and oil heads. I know that the marketeers claim that its the ‘buyers’ who demand more and more tech in their bikes (and cars) but I’m not convinced this is true, I think it’s technology for technology’s sake and it’s there because engineers like pushing boundaries, but I may be in the minority here (in fact I’m sure I am and I don’t care). Could be that I’ve reached a ripe old age where I’m cynical about whether things in general are ’progressing’ or actually turning to ratshit……
Perhaps it’s the whiskey talking Ian? Nevertheless I agree with you on the new motorcycles, they’re getting ugly too, especially those Yamaha T 7 things,

I think it’s also that I enjoy working on my bikes myself and on the modern bikes with lots of computer gubbins it’s not always practical to do this.

There is no denying the newer stuff is awesome....the trouble is fixing it or making alterations to it.

One of the OEM fog lights went pop bang whizz on my1200lc due to water getting into the plug. No problem I thought I'll fit some after market ones. There are 4 wires in the plug????? Ugh???
A little more digging and it seems like there is a micro relay in the light and possibly the canbus system is that smart it's more like a computer network rather than a hard wired relay.
Too hard pile that one.....oh that's right there is a gadget you can buy for adding non OEM stuff.

There is something cathartic in analogue and simplicity and things easily understood.

It's nice to have both old a new side by side.

The other aspect to this is the airhead is a good platform to work with and it's not too heavy. The oil head doesn't share that same benefit. Engine and gearbox are all relatively heavy because they are structural. It's easy enough to work with the FI. Canbus is the death of DIY vehicle mods IMHO.

If the parts and the electronics become to hard to deal with it stops being fun.

I’ve had my R100GS since 1990, I have a couple of other airheads acquired more recently, a K1100, a old Guzzi and BSA (and some more modern trail bikes). I’ve had various oilheads and a couple of more modern (pre 2015) other makes but they’ve all gone mainly due to lack of use. My main issue is that I have too many other time consuming interests and commitments even though I’m retired now so, along with dodgy knees bikes have taken a bit of a back seat. I do find however I get just as much pleasure from working on my bikes as I do from riding them, although the maintenance backlog can get a bit overwhelming at times. I do try to keep at least one ready to go at a moments notice.

Being a bit tight fisted I don’t see anything new gracing my garage now, even something of the retro classic style, which in reality would only be a good as the 100GS, certainly not better.

Less is more as far as I'm concerned. I often regret selling my R100GS the airheads are such wonderful bikes for owner maintenance, and getting your hands dirty, however my 650 Interceptor is a nice replacement.
My V85tt has perhaps too much complication in terms of the electronic functions, however it will be easy to maintain so I will bond more with it and probably keep it and the Interceptor for several years, which is what happened with my R100gs ( I still look wistfully at photos of it:cry:):D

I travelled around Southern Africa many years ago in a Series II(a) Landrover. I suspected that it might have issues along the road, but I was also quite confident that I'd have a good go at resolving them.

It did have minor issues, I fixed them, I carried on. I think the point is that even though the vehicle was nearly 30 years old when I set out, I was happier and more confident than I would have been in a newer vehicle which probably wouldn't have had issues, but if it had, I might have been properly stuck.

I think it's the same with airheads. When Mikeyboy shows a pic of an engine all cleaned up and ready for re-assembly it strikes me how few parts there are. There is something incredibly comforting in the uncomplicated nature of them and I love that.

If I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, I think an R100S would keep me very happy.

I know that the marketeers claim that its the ‘buyers’ who demand more and more tech in their bikes (and cars) but I’m not convinced this is true, I think it’s technology for technology’s sake and it’s there because engineers like pushing boundaries, but I may be in the minority here
I’ve never been convinced that gizmos sell bikes but I think each manufacturer tries to get one step ahead and now it’s snowballed out of control.

On the other hand, I remember a thread a few years back where someone was complaining that he couldn’t upgrade to the latest whatever it was (RT I think) because he didn’t like the way the thumbwheel scrolled! That was probably the point at which I decided that modern bikes weren’t for me.

While I enjoy the simplicity of my R100R, which I've owned since 1998, my Lord the time and money I've spent on that bike! I'm at the point I'd rather have a complicated motorcycle that just works over a simple one that needs worked on all the time.
The V85TT is essentially a modern Airhead only with better brakes and handling, more mpg, cruise, LED lighting, so that's what I've been enjoying the most.

Airheads are like Series Land Rovers......they do get in your blood ! I think I have owned about 10 airheads, two 1100's and a 1150 Adventure. The oilheads are a doddle to service but if the clutch goes ( like on my newly acquired R80G/S ) then that look's a massive job to do! Airheads are simple but only using quality parts is a must. Remeber, most gearboxes are over a £1,000 to refurbish these days and a clutch is a must if that far in ( another £300 for complete assembly ) so you have to think wise before buying a higher mileage one as they can be money pits. The 1100 is a great bike and out performs an airhead anytime ( especially on the road ) but ( like the Land Rover ) I will always hanker for an airhead ( even if some are becoming stupid prices these days ).
Oh and we do have a Mikeyboy though :D

Airheads are like Series Land Rovers......they do get in your blood ! I think I have owned about 10 airheads, two 1100's and a 1150 Adventure. The oilheads are a doddle to service but if the clutch goes ( like on my newly acquired R80G/S ) then that look's a massive job to do! Airheads are simple but only using quality parts is a must. Remeber, most gearboxes are over a £1,000 to refurbish these days and a clutch is a must if that far in ( another £300 for complete assembly ) so you have to think wise before buying a higher mileage one as they can be money pits. The 1100 is a great bike and out performs an airhead anytime ( especially on the road ) but ( like the Land Rover ) I will always hanker for an airhead ( even if some are becoming stupid prices these days ).
Oh and we do have a Mikeyboy though :D
I like the airheads best, but for the European trips I always take the 1150 because it just eats up the miles

What draws me to the airhead is the simplicity. I also have an S1000XR and a R9T both good bikes but I ways feel tethered to the "mother-ship"for every thing. Luckily both bike are reliable so currently "Steeler" serviced. I feel manufactures have spent the last 10 years getting us used to the connection to the mother-ship originally minor things fault codes etc now everything, tyre pressure reset, service details date and mileage, accessory installs its all "Dealer Income Generation" to keep them happy and its all for our own good?

So I'll keep the R100gs and as said by others interesting to work on, good to ride (of its time) and possible to mod and update and that will do me, plus the good folk on here who happily pass on info and experience. Everytime I login I come here to see whats going on. One for the Mods, worth the £12 subs on its own.

Well, FWIW I love my airheads (and whisky, but it doesn't like me anymore) and I also enjoy the tech of the modern BMW bikes as they seem to always be ahead of the other brands (fuel injection 1980's, ABS (1990s), TMPS, traction, heated stuff, integrated satnavs, riderless bikes, to name a few); I find it fascinating. Modern bike tech is quite reliable but how it is all strung together (looms, connectors) less so, and the factory finish is not designed to last forever, as it was with the airheads. So the new ones are great bikes until the warranty is up, then they can quickly become a liability unless you own or work in a dealership. But you shouldn't buy a house in the flight path and complain about the noise.

Long ago (lantern swinging) I used to tour on my modern bike with guys on classics, loving it when their bikes broke down and I was able to help them fix it. But I didn't have the challenge for myself. So I tour now on old bikes and, although a technical issue is never a pleasure when you are away, it adds a bit of spice to life, especially if you have the correct widget to fix it and then carry on. Like the time in France when my ST exhaust clamp let go and the front pipes fell off in the road ahead of me. I pulled over on account of the increased engine noise. I needed some wire to re-make a clamp, only to find (to my delight) that across the road was a chain-link fence. It was heavily overgrown inside a hedge. I approached with some wire cutters only to find a garden on the other side with kids playing and the father looking at the other bikes, over the hedge. We engaged in conversation. My friend took over while I slipped to one side and feigned tying my shoelaces. Hastily removing a portion of the redundant fence I wrapped it around the broken clamp and soon was ready to leave. A cheery wave as we roared off. We need a 'MacGyver' thread.

And modern bikes tend to depreciate, whereas the older (prettier) ones tend to go the other way...

What draws me to the airhead is the simplicity. I also have an S1000XR and a R9T both good bikes but I ways feel tethered to the "mother-ship"for every thing. Luckily both bike are reliable so currently "Steeler" serviced. I feel manufactures have spent the last 10 years getting us used to the connection to the mother-ship originally minor things fault codes etc now everything, tyre pressure reset, service details date and mileage, accessory installs its all "Dealer Income Generation" to keep them happy and its all for our own good?

So I'll keep the R100gs and as said by others interesting to work on, good to ride (of its time) and possible to mod and update and that will do me, plus the good folk on here who happily pass on info and experience. Everytime I login I come here to see whats going on. One for the Mods, worth the £12 subs on its own.
That need for and enduring connection to the stealership is deliberately designed into the product because the manufacturers make most of their money out of aftercare than they do from the original sale of the bike. I object to it because I don’t like being milked like a cash cow with no choice but to be tied to the dealership. It’s my choice though so I’m not complaining, I’m just observing that we airheaders are nowadays a minority group in the way that we think about our bikes

That need for and enduring connection to the stealership is deliberately designed into the product because the manufacturers make most of their money out of aftercare than they do from the original sale of the bike. I object to it because I don’t like being milked like a cash cow with no choice but to be tied to the dealership. It’s my choice though so I’m not complaining, I’m just observing that we airheaders are nowadays a minority group in the way that we think about our bikes
I think the airhead interest is quite limited to people with inquiring minds, willingness to learn preventative maintenance and basic engineering knowledge. The engineering knowledge is something which is becoming thing of the past due ironically to the "plug and play" and dealership reliance. But if you've got it the airhead a perfect bike for you.

Yes...my nephew and niece (and a lot of other people I know) treat a "vehicle" like a fridge or washing machine... just another "consumer durable". They have no mechanical knowledge, nor do they think they need it! "enquiring minds" is limited to the sh1te they can surf on their smartphone.

Back
Top Bottom