Canada on the cheap-ish

Just to give you a sense of the beauty, these are pictures Liz took while I was driving.
IMG_2229.jpegIMG_2236.jpegIMG_2243.jpegIMG_2238.jpegIMG_2244.jpeg

I appeared to have missed this, food was great, really nice, I watched the new Indiana Jones movie and the started watching Hijack on my iPad (Apple TV) with Idris Elba, I thought it was good, Liz watched Indiana Jones, the new Avatar & a film with Jane Fonda in it.
I'm glad that you had the foresight to take your own entertainment and food*

(* or you'd taken out a mortgage to pay €7 for a can of beer!!)

We’ve got a friend in Southampton who by chance about 10 years ago found he had family in Canada, they came over last November and because there was no other easy way to get where they wanted, I took them to St Helen’s, Liverpool, Bath & Glastonbury, they have been desperate to return the favour so we are meeting up for lunch later and staying at their place for 3 nights in Falkland. Our friend was supposed to come (it was why we booked the trip) but he is blind and has limited mobility and decided after we booked he didn’t want to spend £1000 on travel insurance so backed out.

Met our weekend hosts at a farmers market, had lunch and they led us back to their place through the backroads.
IMG_8561.jpeg
IMG_8563.jpegIMG_8564.jpegIMG_8565.jpeg

Saturday 29th

We hiked to this in the morning, https://hikekamloops.ca/the-pillar/
IMG_8570.jpeg
And this in the afternoon, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Giant_Canadian_Flag_outside_Falkland,_British_Columbia.jpg
IMG_8579.jpeg
Then in the evening they had got tickets to a now sold out Halloween walk of terror, not my sort of thing at all but turned out to be amazing.
IMG_8604.jpeg
A walk through a forest at night with loads of actors jumping out at you, various displays here and there, all done by an open air theater company, superb. There was also lots of food, drink (the hot chocolate with spiced rum my favorite) and music in various barns.
IMG_8655.jpeg

Sunday 29th

They drove us to a few of their favorite places including The Sparkling Hill Resort built by the Swarovski founder.
IMG_8702.jpegIMG_8679.jpegIMG_8695.jpegIMG_8706.jpegIMG_8693.jpeg

Monday 30th

Don‘t think we’d get away with these at home.
IMG_2326.jpeg
We drove from Falkland to Nelson, a long day, 5 hours including a ferry crossing. Could see the Big Red Bridge from our hotel room. Also from our hotel room we heard the 2 massive trains 20 feet away especially when they used their horns at 4am.

IMG_8723.jpegIMG_8732.jpegFullSizeRender.jpegIMG_8742.jpegIMG_8769.jpegIMG_8782.jpegIMG_8778.jpeg

Tuesday 31st

279 miles today with some cracking bike roads, video uploaded to the Ukgser facebook page.

Drove up to Balfour to get the ferry across to Kootenay Bay, beautiful crossing, around 35 minutes, by chance we got there 35 minutes before the morning ferry, the next ferry was a 2 hour wait.
IMG_8789.jpegIMG_8792.jpegIMG_2425.jpegIMG_8802.jpeg

South on the 3A through the Kootenays following the lake down to Creston, then west on the 3 through Grand Forks and Rock Creek before getting to our Holiday Inn at Osoyoos for the night.IMG_2437.jpegIMG_2445.jpegIMG_2454.jpegIMG_8803.jpeg

We were pretty close to the USA border so I just popped slight off route to have a look. I don’t think I’ve mentioned how prevalent cannabis shops are but the Americans don’t have the same attitude towards it.
IMG_2473.jpegIMG_2474.jpegIMG_2475.jpeg

The view from our balcony. Dinner, Osoyoos at night and breakfast the next morning.
IMG_8821.jpeg
IMG_8891.jpeg
IMG_8828.jpeg
IMG_8829.jpeg
IMG_8834.jpeg
IMG_8837.jpeg

Wednesday 1st
Back into the mountains, Hells Gate tourist attraction was shut for the season but Liz had read that you could park down the road and hike the 1km to the bottom, that was hard coming back up iPhone app said it was 41 floors up.
IMG_8842.jpegIMG_8844.jpegIMG_8845.jpegIMG_8849.jpegIMG_8854.jpegIMG_8867.jpeg

Into Harrison Hot Springs and one of the best hotels of the trip (except the bloody pillows!).
IMG_8874.jpegIMG_8875.jpegIMG_8877.jpegIMG_8878.jpegIMG_8883.jpeg
Canada geese everywhere
IMG_8885.jpegIMG_8887.jpeg

Thursday 2nd
Weather changed this morning, could hardly see the lake from our window. We drove into Vancouver for our penultimate night taking in Lynn Canyon on the way, also passed loads of these crops which according to Google picture look up are blueberries.IMG_2570.jpegIMG_2574.jpegIMG_2577.jpegIMG_8894.jpeg
I‘ve always said sunbathing was dangerous!
IMG_8940.jpeg
We’ve been having these for lunch most days, brioche buns, salami, crisps and a ranch dressing, well I like them.
IMG_8936.jpegIMG_8937.jpeg

A hike around the canyon trying not to disturb the wedding. Absolutely stunning place.
IMG_8895.jpegIMG_8912.jpegIMG_2581.jpegIMG_8913.jpegIMG_8963.jpegIMG_8947.jpeg
It’s 10 past 6 here in the Holiday Inn we stayed the first 2 nights, just off to the massive supermarket 15 minutes walk away to get dinner, back to the liquor store where we bought the wine box that we only finished on Monday (we did spend 3 nights with friends that we weren’t drinking it) to get a bottle for tonight & tomorrow.

Well, nothing in the microwave meal department inspired us.
IMG_9016.jpegIMG_9017.jpegIMG_9018.jpeg
How come they present fruit & veg way better than we do?
IMG_9019.jpegIMG_9020.jpeg
We decided to go to the pub next door instead. The ribs were listed on the menu as coming with fries and fresh vegetables but the waitress said the menu was wrong, apparently nobody else ever notices but she said the chef would cook some for me. The al dente garlic infused broccoli was gorgeous (20% tip on the way). The two beers we chose from the game menu as there was an American football match on the Telly at 6 dollars each were very nice as well. I have a retired customer who is a mad Watford fan, perhaps he’s been here because I can understand the England, Wales & other nationality flags!
IMG_9021.jpegIMG_9022.jpegIMG_9023.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom