Engine warning lamp. Most likely reason ???

Boxerboy55

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
3,312
Reaction score
833
Location
Central Scotland - no more far away
Today I was 55 miles into a jaunt and the orange warning lamp appeared on dash with the Engine symbol.

Bike was singing along happily.

(I’ve found Saturday afternoon / evening roads are very quiet)

I stopped for a break and the warning lamp did not re-appear immediately. But it did r light up and keep me company till the end of my ride. 155 miles.

Bike didn’t miss a beat.

Any ideas as to what are the most favourite reasons for the orange triangle lamp appearing?
 
Doesnt it tell you when you go tight to the end of the screen?
 
no other codes? I looked at a couple of other similar posts .... one turned out to be the flapper, the other turned to be the first connector going toward the bike from the throttle. Seems this connector works itself apart when there is heavy cable ties on the loom, happened with several bikes from the mid teens 2010 to 2020.
also the air breather is good to check, if you have a KN filter it will look clean but in fact will fill up with tiny diesel particles, had that one myself several times .....
 
You do need some diagnostics.

A fella swore blind it the flapper valve on my bike but it was as clean as a whistle. It turned out to be a low pressure fault recorded against the fuel pump.
 
considering the age and mileage of that old banger you ride, pull all the plugs out of sockets and clean all with contact cleaner (not WD40)

parts are often swapped out when all you have is a bit of corrosion on a pin. Of course, unplugging the old one and fitting a new will often remove the corrosion.
 
Amber warning light ,onward journey possible with caution

Red warning light it's fucked

You need a gs911

Indeed.

On my 1600 GT it was a coil pack, packing-up. On my little Fiat Abarth, it was a knackered main battery. On my GT4, it was a valve timing issue on the left bank. On the latter, it then went red…. Probably best to stop!
 
On my SAAB, one spark plug was flooded with oil. Engine sign still on, eventually Tech2 identified one injector failure. One mechanic said it could be the ECU. It was an intermittent problem. SAAB done 192000 miles 🙄
On my 2008 RT the fault didn’t even register after the light came on.
Didn’t realise it’s a MOT failure if the light stays on.
 
I headed out on Saturday morning (Day 1 of Scottish round of National Rally SNRR), on cruise control on M9 10 miles from home, and the orange dash lamp appeared again.
This time I did feel a small “cough”.

Cutting a long 270 mile day short - the coughing and lurching gradually increased (quite nerve wracking in the rain on some of Scotland’s wonderful wild country roads) so my own feeling is the problem is on the fuel side of the system.

At higher speeds the bike ran smoothly. Hard acceleration was also OK.

I’ve found a local back street mechanic who can connect his scanner when I return from a wee holiday.
(Got to give the wife a break some times)
 
I headed out on Saturday morning (Day 1 of Scottish round of National Rally SNRR), on cruise control on M9 10 miles from home, and the orange dash lamp appeared again.
This time I did feel a small “cough”.

Cutting a long 270 mile day short - the coughing and lurching gradually increased (quite nerve wracking in the rain on some of Scotland’s wonderful wild country roads) so my own feeling is the problem is on the fuel side of the system.

At higher speeds the bike ran smoothly. Hard acceleration was also OK.

I’ve found a local back street mechanic who can connect his scanner when I return from a wee holiday.
(Got to give the wife a break some times)
It's permanently alight on my 1250GS, checked with my GS911 and it's the exhaust flap.
 
Things have moved along.

I took bike to wee local back street mechanic with diagnosis box of tricks and left the bike with him. Complete with dash engine warning light and a coughing engine.

The first bad news was 2 warnings on the box of tricks. (1) low oil - that was a surprise because I know how to oil my engine, (2) LH ignition coil dodgy.

So he added some oil and fitted a new LH ignition coil and took the bike for a short ride and things seemed OK.

But then the bike would NOT start. Turn over but not start. No error messages.

At that point he was lost and suggested my wiring loom may be goosed and reckoned "I'd need BMW to figure out the problem".

At first I was going to get a bike mover guy to bring the bike home, where I may have set it on fire :)

but - current plan is for bike mover man to take bike to an independent chap near Edinburgh who I used to carry out my valve check a couple of years ago.

If it turns out bike can be fixed for a reasonable price £££, I'll be back in business.

Else I'll scrap it.
 
should have bought a GS911 and diagnosed it yourself

they took it to astealer if it was beyond you
 
Things have moved along.

I took bike to wee local back street mechanic with diagnosis box of tricks and left the bike with him. Complete with dash engine warning light and a coughing engine.

The first bad news was 2 warnings on the box of tricks. (1) low oil - that was a surprise because I know how to oil my engine, (2) LH ignition coil dodgy.

So he added some oil and fitted a new LH ignition coil and took the bike for a short ride and things seemed OK.

But then the bike would NOT start. Turn over but not start. No error messages.

At that point he was lost and suggested my wiring loom may be goosed and reckoned "I'd need BMW to figure out the problem".

At first I was going to get a bike mover guy to bring the bike home, where I may have set it on fire :)

but - current plan is for bike mover man to take bike to an independent chap near Edinburgh who I used to carry out my valve check a couple of years ago.

If it turns out bike can be fixed for a reasonable price £££, I'll be back in business.

Else I'll scrap it.
I'll buy your plate off you if you scrap it.
 


Back
Top Bottom