EWS! Starts, runs, cuts out on the road then clears itself only to do it again...

Sounds like you are working your way through it...
One thought sprang to mind : The ignition switch. These are known to suffer sonetimes as a result of moisture passing through the barrel and down into the switch mechanism mounted underneath it. You could try knocking the side of the switch body to try to force an error. The wirk you have been doing could be moving the wiring to the switch itself and thus outt8ng different stresses on the connector pins affecting the results you see.
 
is this a red device ? - why not update it - that's many years old https://www.hexgs911.com/news/
SOFTWARE UPDATE DETAILS:

  • GS-911 Diagnostics v2608.1
  • GS-911WiFi Firmware v320 : Datapack v306
No, it's a blue and yellow (or orange, depending on yr interpretation) one for a limited number of users/bikes and wired not bluetooth. But you're right - I've had it for quite a while unused just in case.. I think they call it a heritage or legacy model now and possibly not supported. It was expensive then and probably just as unaffordably expensive to replace it now I'm retired. It's all I've got so I'll put up with it. I bought it when times were good incase I needed it but the old bus has been pretty reliable and the unit has sat in my toolbox until this "opportunity" arose... After this episode I might part with the bike once it's sorted so an upgrade to a newer 911 is unlikely.

Now you've brought the subject up I'll check on updates tomorrow. It operates on a retired Windows 10 HP lappie which I keep as a storage device off line only. I've used a Mac for years and I'm pretty sure it's not compatible.
 
EWS errors you had can't cut the bike out

wires or dying ZFE ?
As I haven't got to the bottom of it, I don't know...... More likely to be the BMS as that controls the engine and holds the EWS code. As I understand it the ZFE controls the ancillaries, lights and stuff. It's not my field of expertise but I'm learning so stand to be corrected.
 
Don’t mind bogus. My research suggests you can’t not code a new whatzit but that is not confirmed.. the guy is a clown. Stay calm. A couple of of us working this with you - albeit remotely! Bogus - clown and a dick
 
As I haven't got to the bottom of it, I don't know...... More likely to be the BMS as that controls the engine and holds the EWS code. As I understand it the ZFE controls the ancillaries, lights and stuff. It's not my field of expertise but I'm learning so stand to be corrected.
Just put BUTASS on Ignore and your life will be MUCH simpler

You are doing the right things! Just follow the diagnostic path and eliminate failure points one by one

We have an expression in my new job K I S S !! "Keep it stupid simple" break it down from a to z and eliminate fail points

One important thing If I recall from my induction to 1200 Hexheads! The Immobiliser is just at key on and at each subsequent key on once it has sent and received its ID stream for authorisation

I can't quite figure how it could lose power but not emit the pulse to reflect off the RFID chip in the key for the handshake to complete

Unless it is actually doing that just flashing EWS on and then back to normal ??
 
Yes do yu have a spare key and tried that to see if you get the same symptom?

the fact you can recreate it by wiggling wires in the loom / headstock just shouts wiring over and over
 
Just put BUTASS on Ignore and your life will be MUCH simpler

You are doing the right things! Just follow the diagnostic path and eliminate failure points one by one

We have an expression in my new job K I S S !! "Keep it stupid simple" break it down from a to z and eliminate fail points

One important thing If I recall from my induction to 1200 Hexheads! The Immobiliser is just at key on and at each subsequent key on once it has sent and received its ID stream for authorisation

I can't quite figure how it could lose power but not emit the pulse to reflect off the RFID chip in the key for the handshake to complete

Unless it is actually doing that just flashing EWS on and then back to normal ??
Come across KISS before. Suits me! :D
 
Yes do yu have a spare key and tried that to see if you get the same symptom?

the fact you can recreate it by wiggling wires in the loom / headstock just shouts wiring over and over
Yes and tried both...

Had a couple of days away from it and have visitors coming Monday so will start afresh shortly, unless Mrs FB requires me to don a pinny and drive the hoover....
 
Just put BUTASS on Ignore and your life will be MUCH simpler

You are doing the right things! Just follow the diagnostic path and eliminate failure points one by one

We have an expression in my new job K I S S !! "Keep it stupid simple" break it down from a to z and eliminate fail points

One important thing If I recall from my induction to 1200 Hexheads! The Immobiliser is just at key on and at each subsequent key on once it has sent and received its ID stream for authorisation

I can't quite figure how it could lose power but not emit the pulse to reflect off the RFID chip in the key for the handshake to complete

Unless it is actually doing that just flashing EWS on and then back to normal ??

Actually DrF, that's a good point you raise. Having experienced what's happening, it's a complete system failure that cuts back in but possibly before the key chip has been recognized then flags up the EWS report. I also believe in Fairies but never had photographic evidence to prove it.
Anyway, I will "endeavor to persevere" as an old Indian said......
 
Actually DrF, that's a good point you raise. Having experienced what's happening, it's a complete system failure that cuts back in but possibly before the key chip has been recognized then flags up the EWS report. I also believe in Fairies but never had photographic evidence to prove it.
Anyway, I will "endeavor to persevere" as an old Indian said......
So in your own words .... @Fluffy Bridges

From the first millisecond of the episode (Nano second is even better :cool: )!!!

What happens ?? Sketch the time line ......... BUT don't Guess it! Go try in the garage or on the road if you have to

What happens first and what follows each stage immediately after each other ???

Get the sequence correct on paper and we may have a so0lution happening! Remember K I S S !!!!

Engine stutter or quits?? Dash? EWS? Fuel pump prime? Backfire?

Extra info!!
In a straight line?
after a corner ?
after a bump?
heavy Braking ?
Hard acceleration?
Deceleration for a corner?

To be honest Every bit of info is needed Especially as "We" are not there to experience it first hand
 


Back
Top Bottom