France in a circle June 2014 (Pic relatively heavy)

Day 3 Geneva and Annecy

As part of additional 'overloaded' baggage, I packed TWO travel chairs, GorrillaGS and I attended a recent Touratech event and saw some collapsable travel chairs for £90 each. After research on the net, I found a similar chair, from China for £26. May not be the same and are a different colour, but as near as damn it, they look the same, so I purchased TWO and GorillaGS is currently road testing his, riding the RDGA so I await his report.
When I need to chill and rest, I NEED to sit in a comfortable chair, not lie on the ground and here I am chilled in an Air Du Reste, unwinding fir a while:
i-vRJBXxm-L.jpg

By this time I have the hang of peages and after deliberating about the lack of attended booths, it became apparent that most are automatic and seem to know that we are class 5 motorcycles, so the concern was unfounded.

For those that don't know, Geneva airport is in Switzerland and you should purchase a carnet. However, the airport has a VERY SMALL French access called Route Douaniere and its not easy to find. I preprogrammed Navigator then at the last minute I chickened out and cancelled the routing and I ended up in the Swiss sector :blast. Operator error rather than NavV error, This resulted in LOTS of cross border traversing within Geneva airport and I am very surprised that I wasn't arrested cos I did it several times to collect my arriving pillion, There are LOTS of free bike parking spaces on the Swiss side btw :thumb2

30 minutes later and we were BOTH in Annecy (pronounced Onsee in French)
WOW, this is probably my favourite, LOVELY place of the trip:
i-dV22B7z-L.jpg

The lake is crystal clear, with no visible vegetation, which is bizarre.
i-V8kPQ4h-L.jpg

FULL of places to eat
i-S2xNTJ7-XL.jpg

We stayed in the Novotel, with secure underground parking and we will return because is is so easy from Bristol with Easyjet. It has taken me three days and three tankfuls of fuel with two overnight stays and my wife has flown in for approx £60 !!!!!
Annecy is has a canal leading from its beautiful lake and in the canal sits Le Palais D'Isle, which was the primary residence of the Lord of Annecy in the 12thCentury:
i-fjxJVX9-L.jpg

(You can just see me doing a 'Where's Wally' pic in the above photo)
i-7skfQWL-L.jpg

i-F4zWWDk-L.jpg

Interesting shops:
i-vK7QJvF-L.jpg

Flower shopping:
i-TFmvCbm-L.jpg

It's almost Venetian
i-rDL2gCJ-L.jpg

i-KCp3rt4-L.jpg

Iphone pic of the back of Annecy:
i-zdWHNK7-L.jpg

That evening, bike tucked safely away, we chilled out together, for an evening of food and wine:
i-WBCkbNn-L.jpg

Some cracking pictures there.:thumb Annecy looks fantastic.:beerjug:

Great pics, Annecy is lovely............if a little busy nowadays

Great pass out, on the south side over the Cormet de Roseland to Bourg (unless it's ridden in an electrical storm, ask Micky:D)

Good RR:thumby:

Day 4 Annecy to Col D'Iseran
(That's Annecy, Albertville, Bourg St Maurice, Tignes, Val D'Isere )

Did I say that we liked Annecy? We loved it so much that we booked there nights so as to use it as a base for rest and recuperation, but this next day was to ride up to Le Col D'Iseran. Gorilla GS is probably lucky at this moment cos it was nearly open when we ventured and the ploughs were opening the final section. I managed to reach to within 500M of the Abbey at 2770metres which makes it the highest paved pass in the Alps.
The section of the RDGA up to Col D'Iseran from Albertville was effectively blocked for us so Day 4 was a there and back ride through Tignes and Val D'Isere.
Have you ever visited a buzzing ski resort out of season? They are ghost towns but we enjoyed recapturing past memories
Anybody recognise Le Funival in Val D'Isere?
i-WZf8fRp-XL.jpg

Here is GSA unloaded, but still carrying our two chairs:
i-742LWsc-L.jpg

As expected, Route Baree:
i-RwgxWGw-L.jpg

However a Frenchman said that it was OK to continue... so we did :D
Looking down over Val D'Isere:
i-nQJ5kQd-L.jpg

Plenty of snow at he top
i-BTh29V7-L.jpg

Made it as far as I could, with road tyres and precious cargo aboard at zero degrees temperature.
iPhone pic:
i-qsD7cZJ-L.jpg

Here is a short vid, there is NO ROADCRAFT in this vid, just a voice I'm my Scala Rider, which either says, "Can you please keep both hands on the handlebars!" or "Can you keep away from he edge!" . So no correct road positioning will be seen in this vid anywhere :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zCvy4MMieJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lovely that, some fond memories of our French trip on RGA and Annecy is a grand place.
Good on you for bucking the minimalist trend and looking after the Mrs so well. I bet the bike was easy to wheelie though.:D
Thanks for posting awaiting next instalment.:thumby:

we all take the pee about weight but good to see someone making effort to show brill photos and share route....thats what we all love.... keep it coming...

Never mind all that tourism stuff; show us your chair! Then tell us where you got it for £26 :D

Chair £27.99 On Ebay, but note that GorillaGS purchased a black one with orange borders, to match his orange R1200GSA logo on his green GSAWC, so different colours are available. Not the same spec as the £90 Touratech ones, but they look the same and may even come out of the same Chinese factory :nenau

Thank you. For the link and the report. Skied many times in Tignes and never been that way in the summer. And Annecy is a good place to chill and eat. :beerjug:

Day 5 : Day off in Annecy
Wew swapped one shaft drive GSA for a shaft drive bicycle, free compliments of the hotel
i-wpbbdhk-L.jpg

I shall not dwell with more Annecy laden photographs, but we had a splendid day cycling he borders of the lake. The cycles are heavy but very comfortable with lots of gears

Day 6 Col D' Galibier to Briancon
Iseran, being barre, meant a detour picking up RDGA, Valloire Col du Telegraphe Col D'Galibier : No nice photos; the weather was freezing rain and mountain fog but every now and then we saw blue sky breaks:
i-k9Cf2GJ-L.jpg

Lots of cyclists and we made it to the restaurant at the bottom. Our waterproofs kept us dry and the Lomo bag did not let a drop in
i-6TQbSvz-L.jpg

We were served by two Irish, French speaking staff, "I have a degree in sport and leisure, but there is no work in Ireland cos nobody has any money!"
They explained that Galibier had been open for 1 week and already one car and two motorcyclists had gone over the edge!

During our passage through the Haute Alpes, we saw the occasional large fluffy tail disappear in quickness, these are Marmottes and they hibernate in the winter and here is one mounted in our next location:
i-rjmWs39-L.jpg

We were the only visitors to the Michelin awarded ski chalet run by Denis and Karin at Serre Chavalier called Les Marmottes. We had the entire chalet to ourselves with bar facilities on site. The village has recently enjoyed a 40 million euro ski lift, which according to Denis, a ski guide, gives it access to one of the largest ski areas in the area.

Day 7 Briancon to Avignon using Denis' recommended route
Denis was a fabulous host, he rides a Ducati and reorganised my routing because the next day, he was off on a motorcycle tour in the same direction as us !
In a lay by, relaxing in our comfy chairs again, we savoured the view:
i-2r5hfkt-XL.jpg

This was the introduction to Le Sauze Du Lac and for miles and miles and miles, we saw no traffic, except for being overtaken downhills by cyclists:
i-c46jgLj-L.jpg

5 hours of glorious, sunshine soaked kilometres and we were within the walled city of Avignon

Day 7 evening AVIGNON and Day 8 Palais Du Papes cycling around Avignon
My planning involved good quality hotels, right where the action is, so that we can make use of our 'wardrobe' and walk to wherever we wish to go.To get a lot from a city, I reckon that you need at least two nights there. The ancient city of Avignon is completely encircled by its wall:
i-sMb6HPL-L.jpg

We stayed two nights in the Hotel `D' Anglaterre: The bike was parked in its secure basement and we then had time to devote to the city. On our first evening we had THE BEST MEAL of our entire trip at La Cour D'Honneur and a huge thank you for the recommendation by the most helpful hotel receptionist
i-fBn8fRp-L.jpg

i-fSX7TQL-L.jpg

Everything about the meal, with the walled garden location to presentation and food were memorable, just like the powerful,in size and importance, Palais Du Papes:
i-cCRXfXP-L.jpg

An immense building which, during the Avignon papacy, from 1309, was the residence of seven successive popes. The construction of the Palais and surrounding walls went on during their residence. We saw their treasury together with s secret underground treasury floor, only discovered in the 1980's. Eventually they went back to Rome, taking their spoils of religion with them (I'll elaborate on that statement later).
i-Kgh8F3B-L.jpg

Avignon only came under French Rule after their revolution and before that it was under the rule of the Kings of Sicily and the Catholic Church
No visit to Avignon would be complete without its bridge, not particularly special IMHO and it just gives you an ear worm
i-2BGHz4S-L.jpg

This time we hired bicycles which is the best way of travelling within he city walls.
Our packing gave no room for purchases.... shame:
i-BBZ8kGm-L.jpg

Day 9 Nimes Montpellier Carcassonne
This day was planned badly and Nimes and Montpellier were en-route afterthoughts and both deserved MUCH more time.But hey, if you are passing through........
Nimes is Roman Roman Roman everywhere and Le Pont Du Gard is a Unesco World Heritage site; it is the highest Roman aqueduct in the world and is one of the best preserved. Constructed in the 1st century AD, it is IMMENSE so I'll give you all a BIG picture:
i-xx92FCr-X2.jpg

I am unable to comprehend the construction of such magnificent structures and I feature in the middle of the bridge in a very small way :D
NavV then took us to the Arena Des Nimes and first we free parked the bike, wired our gear, locked our helmets and changed into comfortable 30 degree clothing
i-ngptkW8-L.jpg

I couldn't get all of the arena into my fixed focal length lens, we COULD go in, BUT AARGH!!! there was a bullfight in progress ! We couldn't stomach that; so we explored the city instead. Of note crowds were entertained by this 'three heads on a table' man.... so very funny was he:
i-vfHzzjJ-L.jpg

In the afternoon we ventured far too briefly into chic Montpellier:
i-csvqcNb-L.jpg

i-sZXk6xh-L.jpg

i-TmFNXNv-L.jpg

I couldn't get any closer to the dancing girls at La Place De La Comedie with my Drift:
i-k2cQMH2-L.jpg

We then finished the day with our arrival at Carcassone (next episode:D)

Edit: Here is a shot of the Arena De Nimes, constructed in 70AD, it seats 16,000 spectators and it in excellent contition. These arenas existed for bloody entertainment, but the bullfight was not for us, but it appeared full inside.
i-c2bbdmb-L.jpg

I believe that bullfighting in France is of the non-killing variety (as opposed to the Spanish 'bloody' version). But, that said, it still involves taunting the bulls

Day 10 Languedoc and the Cathars
Unloaded in La Cite in central Medieval Carcassonne, the morning arrived and we needed to get out before vehicular curfew, so we were up early, breakfasted and out of the castle on out Cathar castles tour of Languedoc, through the Corbieres wine country.The region varies from uninspiring to dense tree covered hills, but there are Cathar castles everywhere, all on the top of hills
i-xJSk9DR-L.jpg

Trouble is that we were both jaded and all of the castles involved long uphill walks in 30 degrees of burning heat and we both had no enthusiasm.
We were consuming litres of water
i-mZmgnkj-L.jpg

In the heat, we came across Chateau D'Arques, with Cathar links and a Cathar museum but not of original Cathar origins. It involved no climbs :
i-scZwmwJ-XL.jpg

We both have Roman Catholic heritage and we were horrified by the Cathar story. Medieval inquisition and torture, land acquisitions , genocide on a huge scale
Cathar Info here. I feel very very ashamed and disgusted and naive
Back to Carcassonne Medieval cite looking from fields of Corbierres:
i-WXHVCzJ-L.jpg

Day 11 Carcassonne Chill out day
Carcassonne cite is a castled, walled town with Medieval Cathar origins but the majority of the walls were constructed during the inquisition period, complete with a tower in which the tortures were carried out. The castle has been restored, but its history is genuine and full of turmoil.
Today , after Tour Eiffell, it is France's second largest tourist attraction and the coach loads arrive every day, but they disappear in the evening.
It is the evening that this place is at its best and WE LOVED IT. We stayed three evenings at Le Donjon, four stars and FABULOUS, right in the middle of the old cite
Gorgeous room in a private courtyard:
i-nNxxtv4-L.jpg

i-HDq9Dmm-L.jpg

i-VXpLcqG-L.jpg

i-Fk8Ncmh-L.jpg

Carcassonne is a Unesco world heritage site and traffic restrictions are applicable: No vehicles are permitted into the old cite during the day and everyone must part outside. Tourists must walk or :
i-sJ6hBbB-L.jpg

The cite is FULL of restaurants and souvenirs shops, but at night the restaurants are good and the cassolet was scrumptious
i-WW7sbzR-L.jpg

Where else in the world, can you take your bike to bed with only ONE entrance to its castle?
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/98587802" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/98587802">GSA in its castle</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2389979">Grinning GSer</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
(First part of above filmed in low evening light solo and final section filmed early morning fully passenger and luggage loaded on departure)
WE LOVED CARCASSONNE
:D

Day 12 Millau Affiuex
Too much R&R means that we had a lot of ground to catch up. I restricted daily motorcycling to a max of 5 hrs and today we headed backwards and upwards to Millau
i-2KPcmkr-L.jpg

Then over the Millau bridge and north to Chambre d'hotes de Maury near Affieux
i-6Lc7nBX-XL.jpg

What lovely hosts; we were only there for b&b but the owners laid the table so that we could feast on our carried food
The husband and wife were so helpful:
i-8ZcP7SV-XL.jpg

Breakfast was picked from the garden; a FANTASTIC countryside experience with the nicest of people:
i-WCndtpp-L.jpg

Day 13 Orleans
This was an unplanned, unresearched, 'pin in a map' stop and we were not prepared for the experience
Navigator would tell me to turn right and I would be faced by tramlines!
i-NvQPDJm-L.jpg

Yes, there are signs, but they are in French and under pressure in the HEAT of rush hour, it wasn't fun!
i-PC83mrn-L.jpg

Day14 Still in Orleans
We loved Orleans so much that we hired bicycles again and explored the white stoned beautiful city:
i-L2NTQDm-L.jpg

i-vZfc2bW-L.jpg

The streets are all white cobble stoned and make Orleans a superb cycling city together with a stunning cycle path along Le Loire
i-37TrSG9-XL.jpg

WE LOVED ORLEANS and stayed central in another Best Western hotel

Day15 and Day 16 Versailles (Paris)
I will not labour this thread with volumes of Versailles Palace photos, but as you'll all know, its an excessive place!
i-8zmGMcc-L.jpg

The palace was plundered of the majority of its treasures during the revolution, but the hall of mirrors impresses everyone.
We stayed right next to Marie Antoinette's Trianon palace, i.e the Waldorf Astoria Trianon Palace Hotel
This hotel was a final surprise as recompense for the 2,400 mile suffering endured by my pillion
i-6c3D7tG-L.jpg

The hotel is sumptuous, BUT we arrived in the WRONG vehicle, covered in flies, wearing the WRONG clothes. We were questioned and we lacked the abundant black tie and ball gown affair for the 195 Euro evening meal, in the Gordon Ransay restaurant. Say no more.

Day 16 Versailles day and Equitation
My wife's passion is equitation and with BHS AI heritage,on our last day I treated her to an evening performance of Académie du spectacle équestre
The display was within the Versailles stables and included a private tour of the stables. Louis had 600 horses !!!
At approx £25GBP each, it was a show that you MUST SEE if ever you visit
No photography permitted but here's a Drift screenshot of a girl practicing, (note no helmets worn in any of he shows except fencing routines)
i-frBPLxb-L.jpg

Day 17 Le Havre Portsmouth HOME
I dislike ferries, so we booked the fast cat and 2 1/2 hrs later we were in Anglaterre
i-t33h28C-L.jpg

Thank you for listening

I thoroughly enjoyed that, and it's been the inspiration to get another trip to Europe in, during the summer.:JB

You found some cracking places to stay, so I might get in touch nearer the time, for some recommendations.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom