GPX - A few Wales Routes

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Taken from some previous trips to Wales here are a few of my favourite loops and routes. I haven't transfered them out of MyRoute-app but if you can't copy the routes and need a GPX file then messge me and I can send it over.

I'll start with some classic favourites, Bassed myself in Bala for this one, full of awesome road but the ones that waypoints 14 and 17 are on were something special (although the 17 road has a LOT of gates on it).
125 miles but a good days ride expecially with traffic, stops for coffee / views / cake and the small roads back across to Bala having multiple gates. I added in a quick trip to Anglesey when I did it which made it a long day.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com//embed/route/6978659?lang=en" width="600" height="286" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Another Bala start, taking in the Mach loop and Harlech. 153 miles

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/6978660?lang=en" width="600" height="286" frameborder="0"></iframe>

This one had been my planned route from camping in mid Wales to get up to Bala but a puncture ruined that days plans. I ended up doing it in reverse, starting in Bala, breakfast in Machynlleth, coffee and a walk along the front in Aber then Elan valley and turning back north at Rhayader and taking the shortest route back to Bala:

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/6978656?lang=en" width="600" height="286" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Finishing with another favourite.

This is an all day ride. 170 miles on small twisty roads.

Camping just south of Brecon we headed down to Crickhowell for fuel and food so if you start in Brecon you can skip that (but the fuel was cheap and the food excellent so I'd recommend the stop). The road through Sennybridge is stunning even in the rain as is the road up to Devils Staircase and the Remote Phone Box. This is a long day and remote roads so we didn't find a place for lunch (glad we had the big breakfast) but there's a volunteer cafe at Talley Abbey where we sheltered from some heavier rain and filled up on tea and welsh cakes - highly recommended.
Carreg Cennen Castle is meant to be intersting but we were running low on time so just took in the view from the car park and pressed on. The road up the Brecons to Brynaman is a classic and deservedly so, just take it steady as I've seen more than one ambulance on it for bikers and if you come off at the wrong corner it's a loooong drop. If you want to cut the route short you can cut the central Brecons V out but going direct from 14 to 17 on my map but if the weathers good and you have the energy it's all beautiful so you may as well soak it in!

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/6977051?lang=en" width="600" height="286" frameborder="0"></iframe>

the road from point 11 on the last route, south to Glanamman is lovely. At the top, you get great views of the castle across the valley.

Super stuff .. they all look great. As above thank you fro sharing them :)

the road from point 11 on the last route, south to Glanamman is lovely. At the top, you get great views of the castle across the valley.

Cracking routes tjmouse. As Wessie says. Also between points 16 and 17 on the Beacons route....before point 17 turn right on the main road heading down towards Merthyr, then left just before the Heads of the Valley onto the Vaynor road. This takes you up the Pontsticill road up into the remote valley past Pontsticill Reservoir and right behind the Brecon Beacons 9ver the mountain road and down to Talybont Reservoir coming back out onto your return route. .:okay

Here's another for you tjmouse et al if you ever revisit the Brecon route. Between points 4 and 5 from Crickhowell to Llangynidr, when you get to the B4560 junction, before turning right to keep on route, take the left turn and climb just for half a mile up the road...there's a layby on the other side for you to turn around and if it's clear, take a break as you will be rewarded with one of the finest views you will ever see, I kid you not. The Beacons, Llangorse Lake and up into Brecon and mid Wales. You can then drop back down and continue your route to Llangynidr.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-013928.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403-013928.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 253
  • Screenshot_20230403-013600.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403-013600.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 239
shhhhhh ! the routes are excellent but we don't want everyone coming to Wales ! :D there's too many of us now !

shhhhhh ! the routes are excellent but we don't want everyone coming to Wales ! :D there's too many of us now !

I'm off there this morning for the day, heading for my favourite non-bikers cafe in Snowdonia, avoiding all the usual hot spots.

I am Camping in Bala on Saturday.
Will be in Wales riding all day first. then a full day Sunday before heading home.

Should get some decent routes in.

Taken from some previous trips to Wales here are a few of my favourite loops and routes. I haven't transfered them out of MyRoute-app but if you can't copy the routes and need a GPX file then messge me and I can send it over.

Hi!

Great Trips! Me and my wife will have a stop in Wales in a hotel near Bala for 3 in the second week of June, comming down from a journey throug nothern england (Germany - Hull - North York Moors - Yorkshire Dales - Northumberland National Park - Yorkshire Dales - Lake District - Peak District - Wales - Harwich - germany). So we will have two full days to ride throug wales.

Could you be so kind and send me the gpx of the first two Trips (north)? I will send you a pm with my mailadress.

By the way, on Friday the 09.06. we have to travel to the Ferry in Harwich, so does anybody has an recommendatioan for a good route (daytrip)?

Jörg

Edit: Hmmm, i can't find the possibility to send a pm to you...

You cannot receive or send PM’s, unless you are a site subscriber.

If you join MyRoute, which is free, you’ll be able to download the Wales routes that the fellow has kindly created and shared. That alone should be enough to justify the cost of subscribing to the wonder that is UKGSer.

Cracking routes tjmouse. As Wessie says. Also between points 16 and 17 on the Beacons route....before point 17 turn right on the main road heading down towards Merthyr, then left just before the Heads of the Valley onto the Vaynor road. This takes you up the Pontsticill road up into the remote valley past Pontsticill Reservoir and right behind the Brecon Beacons 9ver the mountain road and down to Talybont Reservoir coming back out onto your return route. .:okay

Here's another for you tjmouse et al if you ever revisit the Brecon route. Between points 4 and 5 from Crickhowell to Llangynidr, when you get to the B4560 junction, before turning right to keep on route, take the left turn and climb just for half a mile up the road...there's a layby on the other side for you to turn around and if it's clear, take a break as you will be rewarded with one of the finest views you will ever see, I kid you not. The Beacons, Llangorse Lake and up into Brecon and mid Wales. You can then drop back down and continue your route to Llangynidr.

Awesome. Thanks - I’ll be creating a few updated loops by the looks of it

Hm, the last years i‘m only driving motorbike in my main holidays an exclusively outside of Germany (Norway, Slowenia, GB, Ireland, West-Alpes, France..)...

Back
Top Bottom