How much for a service!

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mrs Berin just had a 12k service on her 2021 GT Pro.

£668!

F**k me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's the 12K valve service, bit of a stinger every 12K, but I love the bike (I'm heading towards my 36K service now).

The intervals for servicing seem a little short at 6K, but given the 'new' engine configuration I dont fancy not getting it serviced on he button. Once my 36K service is out the way I will do the interim servicing every other 6K as it will be out of its extended 4 year warranty (next year).

I’ve heard of the 12k service on a Tiger 800/900 costing significantly more. I’ve had Ducatis and a VFR VTEC, and my Tiger 800 was the most expensive to service. I paid about £600 at my local bike shop- not a Triumph dealer, and the valve clearances were all ok.

23 years ago , when i worked at Jack Lilleys , a 12k service was £400 ish ....... by the time you had done c+spkts , and a pair of tyres , you were at £800.

Seems par for the course. Could be worse....15K service on the Multistrada is between £800 and £1K depending on where you get it done. My Tiger 1200 was £650 main service 5 years back at a dealership.

What hourly rate are the dealers charging?

I think valve clearance checks are one of the most expensive items on a service which we don’t now have on cars as they have hydraulic cam followers.

I think most bike services ( excluding valve checks) should take no longer than 1-1.5 hours.

Then there is the dreaded twat ( vat)!

Most stealerships charge between £90 and £125/hr plus vat.

As I didn't buy my bike from them my local dealership wanted to charge me more for a service than Triumph quoted on line. I'm unsure if this is common practice but it pi$$ed me off so I am having the service done by a local independent guy with a fantastic reputation. He is an ex-Triumph time served mechanic, will be using Triumph branded parts, has access to software / diagnostics & is VAT registered. This enables me to keep up the bike warranty & only time will tell if I have made the correct decision. Taking a stand for the little guy, ha!!

when i was a Guzzi dealer , i decided to have 2 labour rates , 1 for bikes we sold , and +£10/hr for bikes sold from somewhere else. i was very open about it .

bikes we had sold , got a proper PDI , they got a PDI i would do on my bike . A Cali EV , would take all day. most of the other bikes take 4-5 hours .

bikes from other dealers ,were not done as well , paperwork maybe not complete , AND you end up doing warranty work ( at half your normal rate ) on them .

WHY you ask , we were based in Wimbledon , and people would buy bikes cheap from dealers elsewhere , they still saved themselves a chunk of money.

we sold at RRP or very close to . we were always in the top 2 of dealers in the country for selling.

A good advertisment for buying bikes you can service yourself. That said I recently did the valve service on my Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. Took about 3 hrs to dismantle it, 20 mins to check the clearances and about 2.5 hrs to put it all back together again so no wonder honda dealers charge £600 for the check. I reckon now that I've done it once I could get it down to about 4hrs. That said I did the check at 18,000 miles instead of 16,000 and all the valves were in spec. Inlets (shim type) clearance 0.16mm +/- 0.03mm Three at 0.16mm and one at 0.18mm so all in spec. Exhausts (screw type) , 0.23mm +/- 0.02mm. three at 0.23mm and one at 0.22mm all in spec but I adjusted the 0.22mm back out to 0.23 as i had the correct adjustment tool that is the same as the valve ajustment tool for my Honda generator :D I kid you not!

Last edited:
My 390 Duke is just over 6 years old and not had its 2nd service yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom