Lemon Drizzle V100 Mandello Test

Best bike he has ever ridden - wow. A few owners are complaining about the suspension on the non S bikes, but didn’t seem to be an issue on this vid. Better than the 1250RS. Will have to try one

We pushed it fairly hard on the roads you see there, we all had praise for the suspension, I exprienced a couple of kickbacks but that was pushing on (on a private rd) 3 of us are ex racers so we know how to ride. I also read the negative comments re the suspension with surprise.

I suppose "best bike I have ridden" should be best bike I have ridden for me
As I said I had and MT10 for 3 weeks last year and rode an R1250RS recently (on the same private road ...ahem..) Both bikes were more capable than the Mandello, but my money would go on a V100 S in Verde

I saw a few and sat on the demo bike last week at a dealers. I am 6 foot 1 and I found it to be too small but it did look a lovely bike. The same dealer had 3 of the new Nortons in too and they looked absolutely fantastic.

I've done around 1000mls on my Verde Mandello S now. In for service next week and I believe there's a mapping upgrade. We'll have to see if it makes any difference.
I find it difficult to fault, apart from 1 major thing. I'll come back to it. The bike suits me perfectly. I can flat my feet and having very short legs they never feel cramped. The fueling is near perfect and I've NEVER ridden any bike that will allow me to pull up to junctions as slowly as you can on this with no complaints and not having to put my feet down before pulling off. Power, whilst not neck breaking is smooth and delivered from very low in the rev range, suits my style perfectly.
I've owned and ridden bikes that on paper are much better than the Mandello, but as Mike says, it's the best bike I've ever ridden, for me.
So for me, whats the big fault? Fuel tank, 17ltrs is way way to small. I'm having to fill up around every 140mls. It's not putting me off the bike yet, but who knows what the future will hold. I got used to doing a genuine 260 mls between fill ups on the V85.

I am now going to wait and see what the future holds with the new Stelvio...surely will have a decent tank on it?

Great review guys and more importantly framed from a perspective of V7 and V85 owners, which is where potential new owners will come from initially.

Great review Mike and the LDG
As I am now a Guzzi owner, I understand all this waffle about 'soul' etc

We are all waiting on that othewise John would have bought one (if he gets past the wife }

Get the feeling there will be loads of used V85's in the not too distant future? We are also considering the new Niken GT... but it means I will have to sell 2 bikes to make space!

I have a hunch that there will be (maybe not "loads") but quite a few Mandello's up for sale after the Stelvio comes out. It should offer pretty much what the Mandello does plus more suspension, more room and upright riding position, and more range.

Any date yet for the Stelvio, Clifton?

I believe that a Stelvio would be everything you describe, I just hope it's slightly prettier than the last one, which I thought divided opinions a bit.

BTW, it's interesting to note (and I am experiencing this to), when Guzzi owners contemplate their next bike, it's almost always another Guzzi....

I believe that a Stelvio would be everything you describe, I just hope it's slightly prettier than the last one, which I thought divided opinions a bit.

BTW, it's interesting to note (and I am experiencing this to), when Guzzi owners contemplate their next bike, it's almost always another Guzzi....

Got to say, there's not been anything but a Guzzi on my radar for quite a while now.

I went from a Guzzi to a Ducati but still have access to a load of Guzzis to ride

Unfortunately no, I just read the same teasers that you do. If I were to guess maybe officially announced and shown end of this year / first of 2024, with bikes starting to hit dealers as soon as next Summer? Or if like the Mandello the Stelvio might actually materialize 2 years after being officially announced! :)

It'll be interesting to see how they style it. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority) but I don't care fo the Mandello's styling. But Guzzi better get the Stelvio right because it's a hot market and the all new R1300GS should be out later this year. Not that a V100 Stelvio needs to beat the GS in performance but ilike the Mandello needs to be very good and I would think priced well under the 1300GS.

Unfortunately no, I just read the same teasers that you do. If I were to guess maybe officially announced and shown end of this year / first of 2024, with bikes starting to hit dealers as soon as next Summer? Or if like the Mandello the Stelvio might actually materialize 2 years after being officially announced! :)

It'll be interesting to see how they style it. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority) but I don't care fo the Mandello's styling. But Guzzi better get the Stelvio right because it's a hot market and the all new R1300GS should be out later this year. Not that a V100 Stelvio needs to beat the GS in performance but ilike the Mandello needs to be very good and I would think priced well under the 1300GS.

It’s Italian-it’ll be on show at EICMA in November and on sale from March/April 2024.

It’s Italian-it’ll be on show at EICMA in November and on sale from March/April 2024.

Makes sense. In my case I'm really enjoying the V85 because it's just about perfect for me as an all roads tourer. Plus I like its looks, sound, simple maintenance, and the fact it's air cooled. But I'm looking forward to see what Guzzi does with it and just where the new Stelvio fits in the crowded adventure market.

I had the pleasure of having a good luck at, and a sit on, a Mandello yesterday.

My first impression was that although it looks sporty, it really isn't, is it? The riding position's very relaxed. In a way it feels very much like an update to my own 1200 Sport (which is also not sporty)!

The only aspect that I was a bit disappointed with, was the l/h switchgear. The cruise control switch looked really flimsy and definitely not up to the quality of the rest of the bike. Otherwise, lovely. As has been previously noted, the white colour looks good in the flesh, even though it doesn't seem to photograph so well. I'm sure we'll see plenty of these on the road.

Well I manage to get the required miles for the first service. This was really done in dribs and drabs as I'd not had the opportunity to get out for longer runs. So, service done and off with my mate for 4 days in Wales to really stretch the Mandello's legs.
I must say it was difficult to fault. On fast A roads and generous B roads it was an absolute dream. The gearbox is a little idiosyncratic but once you get to know it, it wasn't half bad. The suspension was a little harsh in sport mode if you were on anything but nice tarmac and on the tight gnarly roads, rain mode was perfect and I would say the V100 was slightly better than the V85 on these roads. Brakes are absolutely brilliant. I've been to Wales for the last 7 years, obviously not during lockdown, and I must say I do believe the Mandello was the best bike I've ridden on those roads. If somewhat thirsty when you start cracking on a bit.
One thing I really liked was not having to go into a menu to change the modes, they have a dedicated button and the modes are very quick and easy to change
I'm loving it, but having said that, I love em all.

Back
Top Bottom