Mounting Zumo to your Bike

RAM-man

depleted member !
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ever since it was announced, many have asked questions but one important was still how to mounting it on the bike.

I have seen inside the Zumo 550 box along with the RAM mount set-up to used by bikers.

The mount kit is borne out of three parts;
RAM-B-309-1 + RAM-B-201-A (short arm) + RAM-B-202.

The RAM-B-202 round base attaches on to the four hole fix pattern in the Zumo cradle (no surprises then).

The RAM-B-309-1 has spacers and 60mm screws (set of M6 and 1/4") for attaching to Goldwing's and Pan ST11/1300 onto the clutch or brake reservoir clamp brackets (again no surprises) ... but here is the twist .. there is also the 25mm (1") u-bolt for attaching onto conventional tubular handlebars using the RAM-B-309-1 bracket.

But many will choose or opt for a position not necessarily around the handlebars, say on the oval rail (above the clocks) on a 12GS/12GSA. At first sight it does appear that this kit with a RAP-319 shim adaptor will go around but will need to be tried, but the option may be to get a RAM-B-231/231Z with a RAP-319 which we know does work well.

Sports bike riders will be scratching their heads.

RAM-man said:
Ever since it was announced, many have asked questions but one important was still how to mounting it on the bike.

I have seen inside the Zumo 550 box along with the RAM mount set-up to used by bikers.

The mount kit is borne out of three parts;
RAM-B-309-1 + RAM-B-201-A (short arm) + RAM-B-202.

The RAM-B-202 round base attaches on to the four hole fix pattern in the Zumo cradle (no surprises then).

The RAM-B-309-1 has spacers and 60mm screws (set of M6 and 1/4") for attaching to Goldwing's and Pan ST11/1300 onto the clutch or brake reservoir clamp brackets (again no surprises) ... but here is the twist .. there is also the 25mm (1") u-bolt for attaching onto conventional tubular handlebars using the RAM-B-309-1 bracket.

But many will choose or opt for a position not necessarily around the handlebars, say on the oval rail (above the clocks) on a 12GS/12GSA. At first sight it does appear that this kit with a RAP-319 shim adaptor will go around but will need to be tried, but the option may be to get a RAM-B-231/231Z with a RAP-319 which we know does work well.

Sports bike riders will be scratching their heads.

Steve

I get lost with the part numbers but am I right in saying it's a peace of p**s for those changing from previous Garmin based products who are currently using Migsels mount? :nenau

PS: Will I have enough room left for my cupholder? :D

Thunder said:
Steve
I get lost with the part numbers but am I right in saying it's a peace of p**s for those changing from previous Garmin based products who are currently using Migsels mount? :nenau
PS: Will I have enough room left for my cupholder? :D

errrh, yes. IMV .. anyone with our Belgian wizard's adaptions has a RAM 1" ball attached, and from the zumo kit you'll use the short arm (RAM-B-201-A) and the round base (RAM-B-202) which attaches onto the Garmin zumo cradle.

"Will I have enough room left for my cupholder ?" by that do I assume you mean both gps and drink holder (side by side) ?. if its on a 1150GS then it may be too weighted for the speedo mount, but if using Migsel's 12GS mount then I think you are OK. On your 12GS for example - how would I do it.. Migsel bracket with short arm attached, get a RAM-B-273 and use this to adapt the arm, (look at 'create a mount' on the RAM UK Site), so the added ball is a T joint (at 90 degs to gps) then use arm and drink cup holder with ball to complete, sorted.

Here you go some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0466a.jpg
    IMG_0466a.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0465a.jpg
    IMG_0465a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_0464a.jpg
    IMG_0464a.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_0462a.jpg
    IMG_0462a.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 475
I've looked at a lot of mounting kits but the one that I liked best for fitting my Zumo to my R1200GS is the one from Motorradconcepts. I've ordered one. This unit (The GPS IV Mount) will take the Zumo without any modification and looks as if it belongs in the 1200GS cockpit.

Cheers

JP

1200GSGPSIVGARMIN08.jpg

jonothan said:
I've looked at a lot of mounting kits but the one that I liked best for fitting my Zumo to my R1200GS is the one from Motorradconcepts. I've ordered one. This unit (The GPS IV Mount) will take the Zumo without any modification and looks as if it belongs in the 1200GS cockpit.

Cheers

JP

1200GSGPSIVGARMIN08.jpg

That looks like a very neat solution. Can you remember the price?

jonothan said:

Cheers

JP

1200GSGPSIVGARMIN08.jpg
Now that’s a very smart mount, fully adjustable too, looks like OE :thumb :thumb :thumb

Three 'thumbs' for that one! :)

Gipsy said:
That looks like a very neat solution. Can you remember the price?

Yes, it wasn't cheap :( at £103.90 but as you say, it looks like OE and really belongs on the GS. One of my criteria for fitting the Zumo was that it had to look like it belonged in the cockpit and didn't appear like some aftermarket addition. So the Motorradconcept one really fitted the bill.

Just another few questions here:

How are you guys wiring the Zumo in? Direct onto the battery using the fused wire supplied? Also, if you leave the Zumo attached to the bike (in a locked garage) with a charger, would the charger keep the Zumo topped up as well as the battery on the bike? Is this an option? One final question: which bluetooth headset would you recommend?

J

jonothan said:
:

How are you guys wiring the Zumo in? Direct onto the battery using the fused wire supplied?

J

I've wired the power lead through a relayed Centach box (you can get them as a package from Dutch at Motorrad) which handles all of my aftermarket wiring and being relayed only supplies power when the ignition is on.

Alternately you could make a connection to the rear of the bikes existing accessory sockets which would give you a switched feed through the can bus system or as the powerlead has an in line fuse direct to the battery for an always on feed.

jonothan said:
:

Also, if you leave the Zumo attached to the bike (in a locked garage) with a charger, would the charger keep the Zumo topped up as well as the battery on the bike? Is this an option?

Theoretcally if your powerlead was connected directly to the battery a charger would supply current to both it and the Zumo. I can't see this being much of an advantage however.

J

jonothan said:
:

One final question: which bluetooth headset would you recommend?

Can't help on this one, I'm sticking with the Autocom option for now as I've yet to find a bluetooth one which is reliable and could cope with long journeys using the MP3 player.

J

Back
Top Bottom