New Garmin !Quest ! Launched

roadrider

Reaction score
£500 ish , Shipping now, Waterproof.
Full Details on Garmin Web Site.
010-00306-01.jpg

Below is the Garmin speel.

Portability meets capability in the pocket-sized Garmin Quest™. This easy-to-use unit is loaded with the high-end navigation features from our most popular GPS navigators, and best of all, it's portable. So, you can use it in multiple vehicles — or slip it in your pocket for handy street-level directions when you're navigating on foot.

The Quest is a new generation portable GPS navigator designed to provide automatic route calculations including voice guidance. Turn-by-turn instructions and detailed maps are presented on a bright, sunlight-readable colour display.Detailed street maps along with points of interest are transferred from CD-ROM through a USB connection. Built-in memory provides 243MB of map storage, with an additional 13MB used for the basemap.

The Quest can be powered using the external speaker with 12/24-volt adapter cable or AC adapter, both of which are included, or even the built-in Li-ion battery allowing handheld operation. The sleek, attractive design makes Quest the ultimate, portable, auto-navigation solution.

From salespeople to summer travellers, Quest's features are sure to please:

Automatic routing with turn-by-turn directions and voice guidance to get you where you're going

High-speed processor means fast automatic off-route and detour recalculation

Rechargeable internal lithium-ion battery that provides up to 20 hours of use

USB data connection for fast map downloads from Garmin's entire line of MapSource CDs

256-color, bright, sunlight-readable display makes it easy to view turn-by-turn instructions and map detail

Smaller than a standard television remote, the Quest provides an ample screen viewing area, but it won’t demand a lot of room on the dashboard or in the briefcase. The unique antenna folds flush with the unit when not in use and users can connect an optional external antenna as well.

The unit ships with fully unlocked MapSource® City Select® CDs, which provide full coverage of the major areas throughout Western Europe. For weekend warriors who want to use the unit on a camping or fishing trip, the Quest is waterproof and fully compatible with the entire line of MapSource outdoor cartography. With 243MB of internal memory, this small-but-powerful GPS navigator has plenty of built-in map storage. So, in a pocket or on your dash, Quest gives you the freedom to travel light — with lots of map detail at your fingertips.

quest_dir.jpg
quest_trip.jpg
quest_inst.jpg
quest_near.jpg
quest_marine.jpg
quest_turn.jpg

Found on garmin.com :

With 115 megabytes of internal memory, this small-but-powerful GPS navigator has plenty of built-in map storage

115 ??? Is it bigger for Europe ? Pan, can I load a full country (like France) in a Quest ?

We need to wait until someone has actually got their hands on a Quest, to allow us to have a better comprehension of the physical size of this GPSR, and the suitability of the little flip-up antenna for motorcycle use.

I don't want to make any comments that are based only on speculation, rather than facts. My two biggest concerns are the size of the screen, and the durability of that flip-up antenna when exposed to the high winds that would normally be encountered on a motorcycle. There is also the issue of "how to mount it".

Others have said that the European model of the Quest will ship with 243 megs of internal memory. I have not confirmed this, however, if this is correct, then the memory size should not be a constraint for us moto-touring folks in Europe. 243 megs is quite a bit. It's not enough to load every detail map between John O'Groats and Gibraltar, but it certainly should be enough for continental tours of 10 days or less.

I'm a bit less enthusiastic about the 115 megs of memory in the North American model. Although North American users don't need as much memory per square mile as European users, the ratio is not 2:1, it's more like 1.4:1 - which means that the North American Quest's memory capacity will be marginal for long distance touring, though it will be perfectly fine for folks that don't venture too far out of their home province or state.

So far as the lithium-ion battery is concerned, I think this is a great improvement. I have been using a 296 for the last 2 months - it also has a lithium-ion battery in it - and the battery lasts forever, I have yet to run it flat. Every time you plug the GPSR into an AC power source (wall plug) or into a vehicle power source (12 volts on a vehicle, or 28 volts on an aircraft), the thing automatically recharges. In my opinion, it's just great.

PanEuropean

Machine Cat: The Quest uses CitySelect, which is a cartographic product that I do not own, so I can't answer your question with certainty. But, if it gives you a perspective, all of France including Corsica is 223 megs using CityNavigator Europe 6 and including all route calculation data, so I think it is a safe assumption that CitySelect will not be larger than that.

Like Pan said, someone needs to get their hands on it... :)

And, yes, it seems like the EU version has got 243 mb rather than the 115mb the US version has got.

I'm very tempted with the Quest, as it offers more memory than the 60C, and the package includes quite a bit of stuff. On the other hand, I'd rather save my money (if the 60C would be cheaper) and get the 60C because I don't need that much memory. But with the additional mounts and maps, the 60C costs as much as the projected price for of the Quest...

I guess I'm hoping for a drop in 60C price.... in vain?

I'm also very keen on seeing the first shop to offer the Quest, once they really have got it in stock - not only pre-ordering (seems to go for £499 at the moment). Please alert me :D

PanEuropean; what's the difference between CitySelect and the product you use? (they all seem the same to me, if you can point me to a web page that explains, I'd be very grateful).

Thanks!

PS, Pan, I don't think they've measured the memory to match the required space, I think they've just had to fork out for the "double-size" memory chip (256mb vs 128mb) for the European version as 115mb would not be sufficient at all), if they could have bought a 192mb (128 + 64) chip, they probably would have. Lucky us EU people they couldn't :D

Joker:

There are three different cartographic products that are currently available for Europe. By 'currently available', I mean these three products are up to date with 2004 data.

Two of them, CityNavigator Europe and CitySelect Europe, are identical in almost every respect so far as we moto riders are concerned. The differences between them are very minor and esoteric, so I won't get into the details. Suffice to say that CityNavigator is included in the box when you purchase a SP III or SP 26xx, and CitySelect is included in the box when you purchase other GPSR's that can do autorouting.

The third product, MetroGuide Europe, does not support creation of automatic routes on the GPSR itself, though it will allow automatic route creation on a PC. It contains the same visible road information.

All three products are based on data from the same source, which is Navteq. Garmin provides descriptions of the products on their website - here.

PanEuropean

Has anyone seen the sat nav for sale in Halfords, Navman, or something similar. About the same size as a streetpilot, but with amazing graphics. The sales person did not have any info on it but it looked good. I think it was about £700 poonds

Ive found it with a wee search...... I think.http://www.navman-mobile.com/product_details.php?id=AA005301

Back
Top Bottom