New R1250GS Owner - Few Questions (be gentle!)

MF-Racing

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Placed an order for a new R1250GS TE Exclusive this week and I’m very excited, here 1st week in Sept.

I’m trading in my 2017 S1000RR Sport and will be my first move away from sports bikes! Might be the wrong thing to do as I’m only 37 but after the test ride I was so impressed with the bike, especially after turning off the TC/ABS and doing power wheelies in 3rd, I thought why not! You only live once, just need to get past the ‘old man’ image they seem to have, but that might be in my head!

I saw so many flying around the Picos de Europa in comfort this summer when I was out there, while I had a sore everything.

So I’ve pretty much read about 40 pages of this sub forum but I’ve still got a few questions I’m hoping you can help with, go easy on me!

• Sat nav. Is it worth shelling out for the Nav IV (6) unit? I have a Tom Tom Rider already hard wired in on my RR. My new GS comes prepared with the cradle, is it worth selling my Tom Tom and getting the BMW IV unit? What benefits does it have over the Tom Tom?
  • Iphone charging. On my RR I wired up a USB port direct from the battery and put my phone plugged in under the seat while riding, worked well. I see the GS has a power socket on the dash? What do I need to use this to charge my phone, and where do I put my phone while riding? No storage areas around the power socket? I don’t want a tank bag, but I’ve seen people talk about handlebar bags? Can anyone recommend a small bag to hold my phone etc? Or is there storage/power under the seat like my RR? Do people mount on the phones next to the TFT?
  • Louder can. On my test ride the bike was quiet, too quiet. I like Akrapovič and Yoshi end cans, can anyone recommend one and where to get them for a decent price? Not bothered about more power just like a better sound.
  • Screen. The screen on the bike is massive (to me coming from sports bikes) can anyone recommend a smaller more sportier screen, maybe a tinted one to go with the black paintwork on the bike?
  • Tyres. I will never be going off road, and but I do like scratching on the roads. What’s the stickiest tyres that come in GS size? Not bothered about miles, more outgrip in the dry. Think the test bike I road had some off road looking Michelins on it.
  • Tank & TFT protection. I see it comes with a small tank pad, is it worth fitting a larger one above this to protect the paint? Any recommendations? Also the TFT screen looks like its just waiting to get marked up, anyone recommend screen protectors for it?
  • Reverse shift, bet no one has ever asked this! On my track bikes and other bikes, they all run reverse shift, so 1 up 5 down (from when I used to race in British Superstock, never been able to switch back), can the GS be converted to this? I had a quick look and it’s not like the RR when it has 2 linkage points and is a 2 min job to swop it over. Don’t think I’ll be able to do it as the linkage looks pretty direct to the gearbox shaft?

That will do for the time-being! Sorry for all the questions, looking forward to being part of the community!

Cheers :beerjug:

Just sold my HP4 and got a R1250GSA.

Just put on the Akrapovic end can on mine and it's a better sound a bit loud when you boot it. Nothing like the decatted full titanium of the hp4 mind ;)

These new bikes are very quiet stock.

dateposted-public

Just sold my HP4 and got a R1250GSA.

Just put on the Akrapovic end can on mine and it's a better sound a bit loud when you boot it. Nothing like the decatted full titanium of the hp4 mind ;)

These new bikes are very quiet stock.

dateposted-public

Would have loved a HP4! Any regrets in converting to the GS?

Got any pics of the Akrapovic on your GS?

Thanks

Tank

Regarding the sat nav either a V or VI will integrate fully with the wheel enabling you to scroll in and out of the map and view all of the bikes info on one screen by pressing the wheel left or right and it’s locked into the cradle.
Regarding tank protection Motografix on eBay are fantastic quality protection.
Good luck with the new purchase.

Attachments

• 7BCF913F-4887-4C90-BE89-57721B434383.jpeg
    7BCF913F-4887-4C90-BE89-57721B434383.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 960
My response

Nav IV (6) unit, yes, works great.

Iphone charging, get a Wunderlich handlebar bag and a din to USB adapter, both available at Nippy Normans as well as numerous others, possibly Rugged Roads.

Louder can, if you want louder, avoid the carbon Yoshi, the “paint” comes off.

Screen, most want a larger screen, not smaller.

Tyres, many of us never go off road, but like longevity, it’s hardly a supermoto so sticky could be tricky.

Tank protection, Nippy Norman’s et al.

TFT protection, have seen something on line

Reverse shift, are you sure you have a GS.

Regarding the sat nav either a V or VI will integrate fully with the wheel enabling you to scroll in and out of the map and view all of the bikes info on one screen by pressing the wheel left or right and it’s locked into the cradle.
Regarding tank protection Motografix on eBay are fantastic quality protection.
Good luck with the new purchase.

Thanks for that, that tank pad looks great! I'll be defo getting one of those ordered!

Hummm, still cant make my mind up about the Nav IV, seems a lot of money when I already have the TomTom Rider.

Thanks!

There were two Nav V on here selling £300 but they go quick. You will be able to sell the Tom-Tom lol.
I’ve got the same bike with that tank pad fitted.

Nav IV (6) unit, yes, works great.

Iphone charging, get a Wunderlich handlebar bag and a din to USB adapter, both available at Nippy Normans as well as numerous others, possibly Rugged Roads.

Louder can, if you want louder, avoid the carbon Yoshi, the “paint” comes off.

Screen, most want a larger screen, not smaller.

Tyres, many of us never go off road, but like longevity, it’s hardly a supermoto so sticky could be tricky.

Tank protection, Nippy Norman’s et al.

TFT protection, have seen something on line

Reverse shift, are you sure you have a GS.

Cool thanks for the tips. I'll avoid the Yoshi then! :thumby:

The screen is huge! Why would you want it bigger? :eek:

Looking up nippy normans now :bounce1

Cheers!

Pay the membership on here, sell the Tom Tom and keep an eye open for a Nav V or VI, several on the for sale section in the last week.

The Nav will work and use the functionality built in, the similar Garmin or Tom Tom will not.

Bigger screen for better weather protection.

My opinion would be to stop comparing your sports bike to the GS as they are like chalk and cheese and once you get used to the GS you'll realise why it has a bigger screen, gear shift assist and the things you loved about it on your test ride.

The phone can be solved with a quad lock attachment and quad lock phone case which attaches the mobile to the handlebars and can be placed where it does not block your view of the tft screen. Mobile charging can be done from the charging socket next to the tft screen direct to your phone with the correct charging cable or change the BMW socket to a double USB one which can be bought from nippy Norman's so you can charge your phone from your apple charging cable. No need for a bar bag.....

Louder exhaust is total preference

Tyres are preference but why don't you try a little off road rather than discounting it as it's great fun then you'll need a tyre to suit road and dirt.

So enjoy your new purchase you've bought a lovely bike.

I fitted a Speedo Angels anti-glare TFT screen protector and it fitted perfectly. They’re £10.49 for two or £12.99 for three on eBay.

As mentioned above, MotoGrafix tank protectors are really good quality and made in Yorkshire :thumb2

I removed the BMW cradle and fitted my TomTom Rider 550. It’s a much more user friendly device than the archaic Garmin/BMW device e.g. wireless map updates, route planning via My Drive, not crappy Basecamp (I’ve owned several Garmin devices including the 595 the Nav VI is based on)

Attachments

• 4EAEB1A2-59D2-4AF4-B1DC-832192EDC1AC.jpg
    4EAEB1A2-59D2-4AF4-B1DC-832192EDC1AC.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 803
Cool thanks for the tips. I'll avoid the Yoshi then! :thumby:

The screen is huge! Why would you want it bigger? :eek:

Looking up nippy normans now :bounce1

Cheers!

In terms of the Yoshi, I have the stainless with the carbon end and it's been spot on. Sounds better than the Akra for the 1250 (the previous model can would be louder) and was less than half the price.

In terms of the Yoshi, I have the stainless with the carbon end and it's been spot on. Sounds better than the Akra for the 1250 (the previous model can would be louder) and was less than half the price.

Yawn!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My opinion would be to stop comparing your sports bike to the GS as they are like chalk and cheese and once you get used to the GS you'll realise why it has a bigger screen, gear shift assist and the things you loved about it on your test ride.

The phone can be solved with a quad lock attachment and quad lock phone case which attaches the mobile to the handlebars and can be placed where it does not block your view of the tft screen. Mobile charging can be done from the charging socket next to the tft screen direct to your phone with the correct charging cable or change the BMW socket to a double USB one which can be bought from nippy Norman's so you can charge your phone from your apple charging cable. No need for a bar bag.....

Louder exhaust is total preference

Tyres are preference but why don't you try a little off road rather than discounting it as it's great fun then you'll need a tyre to suit road and dirt.

So enjoy your new purchase you've bought a lovely bike.

Thanks for the tips, i like the idea of not having a bag cluttering up the bars so will go for that quad lock. Don't worry I will be enjoying it, its just a big step away from what i know! My RR had gear shift assist so i know how it all works. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom