New to me R1100GS

Getting there , new brake lines all fitted and brake system bled . Full service done . Upper fixing for rear splash guard was snapped off so have fitted a Motorworks delete cover for that . Bike is reasonably tidy cosmetically for its age , centre stand and rocker covers would benefit from a powder coat and perhaps a few stainless bolts to replace some corroded OEM ones . It needs new inner rocker cover gaskets (donuts) as one was damaged and is weeping oil slightly , I've ordered a new pair and will fit them and the black plastic head guards once received . Sump guard still to refit and then get some new tyres fitted . Hopefully get it all done and MOT'd this week

IMG_0707.jpegIMG_0708.jpegIMG_0709.jpegIMG_0710.jpegIMG_0711.jpegIMG_0712.jpegIMG_0713.jpegIMG_0714.jpegIMG_0715.jpegIMG_0716.jpegIMG_0717.jpegIMG_0718.jpegIMG_0719.jpegIMG_0720.jpeg
 
Well just when I thought I was finished , came to fit the new rocker cover gaskets and of the 8 rocker cover bolts , 4 of them have stripped threads on the cylinder head - explains why silicon sealant had been used on the old gaskets . Need to fit helicoils so will have to remove the heads to ensure the drilling is accurate . £100 delivered for a pair of head gaskets !! The last one's I bought for a R100 were £10 each
 
Got any details ? I did think at £100 for gaskets it may be worth seeing if i could get a drilling guide
It was just a bit of steel my friend had in his workshop about 75mm x 50mm x 30mm thick

I got him to face it flat on both sides and mill it to an L shape and round the outer corners particularly the Inner L part

I then guestimated roughly where a guide hole could be used on all 4 corners if I moved the block around

Because it was such a small drill and soft material I just had to hold it in place against the face get the drill in place and make sure the bottom was flat on the head faces and drill slowly trying to makes sure it did not grab

It worked okay but in reality it was only getting used for a few seconds as I was only drilling in about 10 ~12 mm for 1.5xD coils
 
Thanks Jay , I’ve just got hold of a drill guide so will do something similar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
when i do thread repairs , i get a mate to watch up and down , and i watch side to side .

having seen your other bikes .... the lh top bolt is a bit manky

I used a drill jig to ensure correct alignment

None of the bolts are particularly pretty and the rocker covers could do with being powder coated , this was purely a mechanical restoration as I’m going to use it as a winter ride then pass it on in the spring to its next owner who can do any cosmetics they require which would then make it a very nice bike


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I used a drill jig to ensure correct alignment

None of the bolts are particularly pretty and the rocker covers could do with being powder coated , this was purely a mechanical restoration as I’m going to use it as a winter ride then pass it on in the spring to its next owner who can do any cosmetics they require which would then make it a very nice bike


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Form an orderly queue and no complaints that you'd didn't know you could buy it. Safest deposit youll ever put down on a bike
 
New tyres fitted and the bike flew through it's MOT with no advisories

Things didn't go well however on the way home when on a very steep hill I suddenly lost all drive without warning

No nasty noises to indicate drive spline failure , no smell of burning oil to indicate an oil seal failing and leaking oil onto the clutch plates

Stuck on the hill , even with the engine switched off and in gear the bike still rolled back

Managed to turn it around and nursed it back down the hill and home via a much longer but flatter route

Had a chat with @DrFarkoff and diagnosed a potential failed bond on the rubber between the inner and outer portions of the drive shaft

Stripped it down this afternoon and sure enough the Dr's diagnosis was spot on

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

I've got a secondhand driveshaft with a 6 month warranty being delivered in the morning from James Sherlock (their usual excellent service)

So all going well by mid morning tomorrow normal service will be resumed
 
Getting there , new brake lines all fitted and brake system bled . Full service done . Upper fixing for rear splash guard was snapped off so have fitted a Motorworks delete cover for that . Bike is reasonably tidy cosmetically for its age , centre stand and rocker covers would benefit from a powder coat and perhaps a few stainless bolts to replace some corroded OEM ones . It needs new inner rocker cover gaskets (donuts) as one was damaged and is weeping oil slightly , I've ordered a new pair and will fit them and the black plastic head guards once received . Sump guard still to refit and then get some new tyres fitted . Hopefully get it all done and MOT'd this week

View attachment 537161View attachment 537162View attachment 537163View attachment 537164View attachment 537165View attachment 537166View attachment 537167View attachment 537168View attachment 537169View attachment 537170View attachment 537171View attachment 537172View attachment 537173View attachment 537174
That's lovely mines on a M plate and same colours; have you done the seats; mine are the washed out yellow you started me off to get mine done now; :D
I run mine on Avons these days; i only tried them because they were on offer; i was suprised how much softer they made the ride and the confidence they inspired in the wet; saying that the Tourance had never given me problems.
 
That's lovely mines on a M plate and same colours; have you done the seats; mine are the washed out yellow you started me off to get mine done now; :D
I run mine on Avons these days; i only tried them because they were on offer; i was suprised how much softer they made the ride and the confidence they inspired in the wet; saying that the Tourance had never given me problems.
Seats are original as far as I know , they have got some marks on them
 
"I've got a secondhand driveshaft with a 6 month warranty being delivered in the morning"

That reminds me not to give all the spares with bikes when I sell them ..🙄😆
 
New tyres fitted and the bike flew through it's MOT with no advisories

Things didn't go well however on the way home when on a very steep hill I suddenly lost all drive without warning

No nasty noises to indicate drive spline failure , no smell of burning oil to indicate an oil seal failing and leaking oil onto the clutch plates

Stuck on the hill , even with the engine switched off and in gear the bike still rolled back

Managed to turn it around and nursed it back down the hill and home via a much longer but flatter route

Had a chat with @DrFarkoff and diagnosed a potential failed bond on the rubber between the inner and outer portions of the drive shaft

Stripped it down this afternoon and sure enough the Dr's diagnosis was spot on

View attachment 541701

View attachment 541702

View attachment 541703

View attachment 541704

I've got a secondhand driveshaft with a 6 month warranty being delivered in the morning from James Sherlock (their usual excellent service)

So all going well by mid morning tomorrow normal service will be resumed
A great meeting of mind and skill
 


Back
Top Bottom