There's a lot of stuff like that these days. Triumph's made in Thailand, BMW's made in China, KTM's made in India and China. I had a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 10 years ago and while it was assembled in Japan the Engine was made in China!!Looks relatively cheap but then it’s an Indian parallel twin with styling by Tupperware
Is it really a Norton or is it just using the name like an MG car![]()
Like virtually all the 800 twins F650 / 800’s etc BMW have sold since 2009. Assembled by Loncin from memory. Bloomin good engines tho with enviable reliability.There's a lot of stuff like that these days. Triumph's made in Thailand, BMW's made in China, KTM's made in India and China. I had a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid 10 years ago and while it was assembled in Japan the Engine was made in China!!
The earliest were made in Austria by Rotax. You're right about the reliability though.Like virtually all the 800 twins F650 / 800’s etc BMW have sold since 2009. Assembled by Loncin from memory. Bloomin good engines tho with enviable reliability.
Its muddier than a muddy thing where they are made. They are made by Rotax under licence, but it was in a Chinese factory. In the early days owners were quoting a defined engine number that “ proved” their engine was Austrian manufacture. I couldn’t categorically state they all were but google tells me three different thingsThe earliest were made in Austria by Rotax. You're right about the reliability though.![]()

Not the one I owned for a brief period and the replacement crate motor fitted under warranty was definitely made in AustriaThe earliest were made in Austria by Rotax. You're right about the reliability though.![]()
Same here. And the 'new' SV-7GX is a pound under £7K. 10 year warranty, absolutely bullet proof reliability. The 'Norton' will disappear without trace.I'd take a DL650 over that. Proven, reliable, and loads of aftermarket and factory accessories. Big plus with the DL is a 20 litre tank and great fuel economy. I know they stopped making them in '25, but you can pick up a fully loaded '25 model for less than the base price of that "Norton".
I think the orange makes it look better and stand out more than the silver version; it's getting a decent review to be honest;; i dismissed it sa missing the boat the other wk but now think it may be in there.Thanks for posting. Looks interesting re bang for buck. I'm not terribly keen on the styling and they really should have used the classic Norton logo on the tank. I'll have a test ride though.![]()
I saw an old Varadero last night. Quite similar I thought .
I would post a pic, if I could get the hang of this new iPhone![]()
Nothing, I don’t think. The bikes are made in India, maybe the v4’s are assembled here but I’m pretty sure the engines are also made in India.I reckon Norton as a brand is on a steeply downward spiral with the new product range, not sustainable against the competition in my view. Makes you wonder what their £200 million plus factory in Solihul will be producing, previously stated as being a powerhouse for premium British motorcycle production, really ?
The review pointed out a whole series of problems from poor fuelling to bad suspension, with a caveat that these should be fixed on the production models.I think the orange makes it look better and stand out more than the silver version; it's getting a decent review to be honest;; i dismissed it sa missing the boat the other wk but now think it may be in there.