Off Road North Yorks Moors

Off Road on the North Yorks Moors

• Sounds fab, count me in dates permitting

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • I'd love to.......on me other bike

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I wouldn't want to get me GS dirty, it's not an off road bike you know

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't we do it after the glorious 12th for more fun ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bloody hell Fritzy

You've got some good trails there. How about doing 2 one day runs. One with all the easy Tourancable stuff, and another for hardcore riders with knobblies on?

Simon

Fritz,

They are a fantastic set of pics and would love to see them for real, it looks really tempting, but being a bit of a chicken, after my off road exprience at the Bunkhouse weekend, would it be suitable for a realativley new GS rider.

Mick

PS. you dont make much of a model, but as Bev has taken such great pics you might get away with it...LOL

north yorks moors off road

bloody hell fritz . can ya put adate on this yet ,nice bit of scenery i,d be pushing 50 mph 2 up down them tracks when wet 'may have 1200gs by then;may have ta take it steady

Hi Fritz,

Got your mail, thanks for the invitation.
Very nice pics, perfect area :cool: , can't make it this time. :(
Have fun !, seems to me that there can't be any probs there. ;)
Would love to enjoy those tracks with you guys another time.
Keep me informed.

Almost there

Right folks, I really will get some fixed details on here this week.
Mick, the riding will be distinctly 1150 able - but of course I can't cover for all skills levels. (think nought of Kent - happens to us all, note the ford on here) I assume a little off road experience (but as mentioned - I've non on off road bikes proper) will help, but if non, then people can go slower.....or fall off :rolleyes:
Simon, I'd like to do both, easy and 'fun', but depends on wishes (and assistance). I'll poll some options.
To all, I really intend it as a gentle amble through serene countryside (weather pemitting :eek: ). The road legs (there'll be plenty as we haven't got THAT many legal trails) will also give scope for gravel rash if treated without respect :( ). Undoubtably there may be one or two bikes dropped, but it shouldn't get to that, that's not the intension, but I can't legislate for individuals.
It's a mini adventure type of thing rather than the ISDT !
It started as a 'ride-out' and looks like becoming an 'event, ulp :eek:
To reinforce GS only, mini adventure, not ISDT ! Not timed sections, no rush, easy does it

Then I've got to confirm the legality of the ones I don't know....;)

Helmets compulsory :D

Fritz

If you need a hand in organising on the day(s) - like needing someone to ride at the back and pick up the pieces (sorry meant straglers) then I'm only too pleased to help. Georgie's a willing helper too, but she can't pick up an 1150.

I've got both OS North Yorks Moors maps, software versions of the 1:50,000 maps and a little experience with a GPS ;-)....

Simon

The Bird and i are still keen - she's supposed to be sorting some accommodation out for us. I've just noted the comments about the canary :)D ), which she isn't but the idea of a cage does appeal (but only to protect her of course, as she SO precious to me - :D ).

Great looking trails, so hope the weather works out to be similarly good. Not done any off-road two-up, so that should be interesting in itself. Looks like you're being a realy matyr to the cause riding all these routes to prep the 'event' for us all. Must be hell, but i suppose someone's got to do it! Great effort though and (work permitting) we'll be there to reap the rewards and repay you in some small way with beer tokens.

Cheers

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeee

Re: Almost there

fritz said:
Mick, the riding will be distinctly 1150 able - but of course I can't cover for all skills levels. (think nought of Kent - happens to us all, note the ford on here) I assume a little off road experience (but as mentioned - I've non on off road bikes proper) will help, but if non, then people can go slower.....or fall off :rolleyes: :D

Count me in on that Fritz, will give it a go, worst I can do is fall off.....LOL

Mick

:beerjug: :D

Dates set as SATURDAY 24TH / SUNDAY 25TH JULY
(w/e after Kelso - same as Sunderland Airshow, only known clash).

If people want to come from far and wide for more of an ‘event’, that’s fine, but Bev and I can’t officially organise anything. Up to you’s. Can provide details for accommodation, camping etc if it helps folk, but my original post was just for a ride, happy to assist, but don’t want to create a monster, just ain't got the time at mo'

Ride out on as much (easy) trails with inter-linking tarmac from Thirsk over probably to coast and back again in day. Possible to have another ride out on Sunday if folks want, dependant on your travel plans.

Starts in Thirsk due to our location, planning 10am meet so folk can get breakfast first and people travelling from afield can make it, and the first leg being a delightful short and easy intro leg to make sure folk are happy with what we ride. (pics on posts titled ‘left or right’ and the ford after that). Thought that best.

The trails are made mainly of bits of a decent length, the roads in between are scenic (weather permitting) and good enough (ie bad) to be interesting. There is one long trail that will be a full length then turn and return same way (mainly) due to fact the descent at end would be too tricky (been done on 1150’, but not without damage !). The idea is enjoyment, a little excitement, but no damage expenses !!

Lunch proposed at Lion Inn Blakey, cause it’s excellent, V4M, can serve a group no probs, and is second only to Tan Hill for location. Has got camping (basic) and rooms (but invariably already booked up – months in advance by non GSers !). Will ‘book’ us in for food, once numbers known. Aiming for coast for ice-creams just because we can, thence back over to our side.

I wouldn’t suggest anyone rides with their luggage, so factor this in to your plans, or ignore dependant on how you feel. Deliberately kept details to North Yorks Moors as it’s quieter (and nicer ?) than the touristy Dales (shhh don’t tell anyone, it’s our secret). If the weather turns to sh*te, we may have to amend some details, but will still get a ride in, even if it becomes more tarmac….the tarmac we choose is adventure in it’s self !

Finally, to reinforce, GS’s only – don’t bring your second bikes. It’s planned as a steady enjoyable day of mild adventure, not the ISDT. If anyone wants to go quicker they can drop back and catch up, but I don’t want to upset anyone we come across. You can ride these trails (some) at 70 if you’re brave/mad/got loadsamoney for repairs. We prefer 25-30mph max off road, it’s still fun, and you can enjoy your surroundings so much more. Remember we'll be two up, and I don't want to **** the bike, or end up divorced !!

Thirsk isn't too large (or small, say 12,000 ?), has accommodation a plenty, many pubs, but if I were honest is no Rosedale or similar, ie no quaint village pub to take over. If folk want some suggetions for a central village location we can help. Many of you may have good suggestions, such as Simon & Georgie.

Give me your thoughts. I’ll get food numbers nearer the event via a poll. ;) Its all about riding

Sounds great!

I'll be there (excepting disaster, or a whim of SHMBO:rolleyes: )

Suggest you post co-ords, postcode etc of meeting place (Thirsk? where's Thirsk?)

Thanks in advance for all the work you've put into 'a ride'. Must've been hell trying out those trails ;)

See you there.
I'll post details of were and when near time, but for those unfamiliar with the world of James Herriot, the racecourse or similar we are half way twixt York and Middlesbrough, have a look at the map below.
Very close to A1 and A19 and central for loads o' places, but as mentioned, it's not a cuddly village, but it's a nice market town, see here for details y'all
http://www.thirsk.org.uk/index.php - lots of info including the 12 pubs !
http://www.thirskonline.co.uk/ - more of same.Both have some piccies and info on the general are, good stopping off point for Scotland (or England if Scottish ;) )

If anyone wants to post any good locations for a base if folk want the traditional (and my prefered if I was going to a do) type village with a pub type location fire away, we won't be offended
;)

Campsites in the Area

Folks

I have just surfed up the Thirsk Online site and called the campsites listed there.

Quernhow Caravan and Campsite is bang on the A1 and IS LIKELY TO BE VERY NOISY!!!!

Jenkins & Lancefield - near to the racecourse but on a nature reserve and "we don't normally take groups".

The rest are just Caravan Parks.

Hmm - not promising.

I've a couple of tried and tested campsites 'up there'.

One is in the flatlands to the west of Thirsk. It's the Sleningford Watermill at West Tanfield (between Ripon and Masham). Smashing quiet campsite next to the river - really large site so no need to book, and happy for nutters to stay (big venue for canoists). A miles ride or walk to the village with a Black Sheep Brewery pub. It's 12 miles from West Tanfield to Thirsk. OS Landranger ref is SE278782 - postcode HG4 3HQ.

The second is at Rosedale Abbey right in the North Yorks Moors. Don't remember the name but it right at the foot of 'Rosedale Chimney' (20 to 25% steep road) - half way up the chimney is a Black Sheep Brewery pub - common theme emerging! It's smaller and a bit more prone to 'miserable, turn our noses up at bikers' attitude' but it's a good location. Unfortunately its 30 twisty miles from Rosedale to Thirsk, but it is in the middle of tharea we're likely to be riding. OS GPS ref is SE724957 - postcode YO18 8SA.

So I'm torn on how to play things - ride over from Manchester on Friday night, camp at Tanfield and ride in on Saturday and Sunday looks favourite. But maybe we ride over from Manchester on Saturday, do the ride fully loaded and then camp up on the moors or at Rosedale.

I'm saving judgement until we know a little more about the two day's riding plans.

Anyone else know of a site we could descend on?

Simon and Georgie

Campsites

Good shout Simon, Sleddingford Watermill is certainly a GOOD shout, and additionally close enough we could pop over for a Bevvie (I'll being mine :rolleyes: with me)
There is a campsite on Thirsk Racecourse, if no racing, I can check on bikers / no bikers situation ? usually popular with caravans, but sure tents must be allowed.
Any requests on 'what's this place like, is it near a pub etc etc' I'll do me best. I can answer on all B&B's in local neighbourhood at least.
Simon will have no probs with riding two fully loaded, and two up if needed be, based on his previous journeys :D (but buy your booze after the run :rolleyes: ) but wouldn't advice mere mortals to be tempted less you have fully hardened luggage ;)
I'll be online ta morra, thence not for a week, Denmark bound, so don't think I'm ignoring any requests.
Simon, I'll call and speak on phone after I return, and I'll think on about 'local' campsites in the vein of Slenningford.
Farvel ;)

GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650G

Apparently, my GS is 'Half a GS'.

I only have one bike - ah - a Dakar. It is a GS! So are you guys happy if i turn out on my GS650?

GS650 Tim.

PS You did say GS.

Think once,
Think twice,
Think......GS650

I thank you

GSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGS650GSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGSGS

timmy said:
GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650GS650G

Apparently, my GS is 'Half a GS'.

I only have one bike - ah - a Dakar. It is a GS! So are you guys happy if i turn out on my GS650?

GS650 Tim.

Hope you're not going to develop the sore wrist and vaseline syndrome again, and you're not allowed to drink shandy either. Where would you be planning to stay? Suppose you'll be dossing in some field/ditch somewhere to get the 'real' experience and allow you to enjoy your favoured 'squatting' techniques.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
ps should have bought the 1200 - but then you know that.

Yes JohnnnnniiiieeeeeBoy.

I'll be squatting........ well outside of the Yellow bike Exclusion zone, out of range of every passing bug attracted to your yellow beast.

Been workin on my wrists and practicing Emergency Stall Vaseline Application.

Not sure about where to stay etc, but if you and Bird would like to ride up in a small group let me know. i will see you before on the Skills Course of course.

timmmmmmmiiiiiieeeeeeeyy

1200? Maybe. One day

B&B

timmy said:
Yes JohnnnnniiiieeeeeBoy.

Not sure about where to stay etc, but if you and Bird would like to ride up in a small group let me know. i will see you before on the Skills Course of course.

timmmmmmmiiiiiieeeeeeeyy

1200? Maybe. One day

Vaseline boy :ymca

Hopefully we'll be staying here friday and saturday night.

Central House Farm

I say hopefully as i havent heard back yet but i only emailed Jayne yesterday afternoon. I used to work there about 7 years ago and not too far from where we need to be. Excellent people if you like goats!! No idea what the cost is or anything. Ride up in a small group sounds good but are you sure you'll be able to keep up on that little bike of yours??:D

Liz

Back
Top Bottom