Pannier fitting problem, please help...

Ok the answer is the rear subframe from the gusset weld back seems to have been bent down slightly. No idea why. I cant imagine how this would have bent in a fall unless the bike was upside down and completely level.

I intend to strip the back end heat up the end of the bars and bend em back up enough to get the pannier on, which at present is about 2 cm away.

Any ideas how i can best do this and is it gonna bend back down ???

Any one had or seen this before ??? Steptoe perhaps ??

Ok the answer is the rear subframe from the gusset weld back seems to have been bent down slightly. No idea why. I cant imagine how this would have bent in a fall unless the bike was upside down and completely level.

I intend to strip the back end heat up the end of the bars and bend em back up enough to get the pannier on, which at present is about 2 cm away.

I've seen one with similar bent rear sub frame, actually the frame was snapped clean at the engine mounting points... the sub frame was from mid way as bent as a dogs doo da as a result of a mild off.

Have a gander / check around the bolt mounting points just in case.

Hi Dave,
been thinking about your strange problem ( I was in the know on this already !!)..is it remotely possible that the bike has been "ratchet-strapped" down, for say a recovery, or cross channel trip, and the ratchet strap was attached to the rear rack, and then stupidly over-tightened ?? the fact that there are no marks, or breaks etc, and also the fact that it is so evenly bent - the only logical solution I can think of.
Do hope you get it sorted, but it needs a wiser head than mine to offer a method of putting it back into shape.....there is a plumber who's on the GSers site somewhere !!! :tears Aidan's mate might be able to offer some help perhaps ??

Depends how its bent, may be better buying a new one :eek:

other than that, it may be possible to heat where it is bent, till its a cherry red then bend it back, using a jack and a bit of 3x2, you need to provide picture for a more accurate method though :nenau

I have been trying to fit a set of TT sondersystem frames and the holes just wouldn't line up on the exhaust side..I have 2 sets of racks and they were both the same(ish).
Turns out the rear of the rear subframe was twisted after I put a level on it! Must have been when I dropped it fully loaded on some sand in Portugal this year.

Those Vern rails are so tough they wouldn't give so the subframe did!

Bent it back with a long crowbar applying gentle degrees of force and it is a little better now and the holes line up :)
It was OK up to the last 6 inches, so that must be the weakest spot.

Back
Top Bottom