Pulse-jet plugs

rossi

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything posted about the pulse-jet plugs on here, although I have seen Steve Scriminger mentioned in a couple of threads. I've just fitted a set and thought I would post my impressions. I won't go into detail about the plugs themselves - you can find it all on Steve's website. Other than back to back dyne charts, what impressed me was his Facebook page has a video of a 4 stroke petrol lawnmower engine running on diesel thanks to his plugs (aiming to give diesel efficiency with fewer harmful emissions). If you can ignite diesel with a spark plug there has got to be something going on

www.pulse-jetignition.co.uk

First thing to note is that Steve is very responsive to email questions - he responded very quickly to all of my emails (there were a few). Buying direct, I got a free set of plug caps which fit the narrower insulators on the new plugs better than the stock caps. (He currently has a deal with one of his suppliers and has a few more sets of these)

Initial observations on an otherwise stock g/s:

The bike needs less choke to start.
Blipping the throttle at idle, the bike picks up instantly, much crisper and more responsive than before.

I had just put tea on and only had time for a quick blat up the hill and back, not really enough to get the bike properly warmed up:
Pulling away, the exhaust has a bit of a crackle on the over-run (there is slight leak between collector and silencer) which it never did before. Once the choke was turned off (sooner than before) the crackle disappeared.
Previously the bike would hesitate if I opened the throttle quickly. The hesitation is now gone, it is more responsive and definitely pulls more strongly. The exhaust note sounds different too - difficult to explain but it has a harder edge to it.
Back on the driveway after a couple of miles and the idle is faster than normal.

The information sheet with the plugs does state that it is occasionally necessary to retard the ignition slightly. No problems for me so far but I haven’t got the bike properly warm yet. Living in Cyprus it can get a bit warm - I'll have to see how it goes on this front.

Conclusion - the plugs definitely improved the bike. Very impressive for such a quick and simple change.

It lookslike there’s more projecting into the combustion chamber? Could that increase the compression ratio? Would tie with the advice to retard the ignition. Diesel running in a 4 stroke Petrol Carberrator engine? I’ll believe it when I see it. JJH

I;m no expert by any means, but in some respects is similar to some high compression engines

whereby they have a very small pre ignition chamber machined into the piston face, this ignites first and and produces a very clean uniform burn

expanding over the rest of the piston face

sort of this design o8 in the top of the piston

I;m no expert by any means, but in some respects is similar to some high compression engines

whereby they have a very small pre ignition chamber machined into the piston face, this ignites first and and produces a very clean uniform burn

expanding over the rest of the piston face

sort of this design o8 in the top of the piston

Yup just done some googling i could be wrong but it looks very much like like a passive preignition chamber

The length of the insert matches the length of the standard plug. The tip of the insert is slightly wider than the tip of a plug however, even with the replacement plug screwed in, the insert has a hollow chamber. I suspect that any effect on final compression ratio is negligible.

Much more like the pre-ignition chamber.

Seems like a clever little design. This is how I'm seeing it, a regular spark plug ignites the mixture and then a wave of flame expands away from the spark igniting the mixture as it moves through it. This little gadget has trapped that initial flame in its recess and it bursts through the orifices machined in sides of recess as well as the forward tip recess creating jets of flame that pierce the mixture in the cylinder creating several cylinders of flame emanating out from the jets. So, the mixture that would ordinarily be last part to ignite usually gets ignited as the piston has started to travel away ( this could be all crap as I'm only guessing that's what happens) will now be ignited quicker and as the piston will not have moved so far will be under greater pressure leading to a cleaner burn?

That is exactly how I see it. Whatever the reason, it is definitely working on my bike.

Not come across these plugs before, Sounds not disimilar to twin plugging, to improve the reach of the burn across a wide piston face.

Turns out that Mahle is marketing a similar solution for modern high efficiency engines. The pulse jet inserts offer a retro-fit of this tech to older engines including our ageing airheads. Arguably the gains in increasing efficiency are potentially greater with an inefficient combustion chamber design compared to todays modern engines.

https://www.mahle-powertrain.com/me...on/mahle-jet-ignition-product-information.pdf

Back
Top Bottom