Satnav’s, yes or no???

I think I would have stayed with my nav 6 if it hadn’t been so problematic. The two things that caused the issues for me was obviously the ghosting issues I had with the first generation ones and the Make life a ride ones so that was a huge problem.
The other issue was the poor connectivity with phone and headset, tried both Sena and cardo and it was hit or miss whether the phone call came to the headset regardless of how I paired it, and I tried all combinations. The thing is a like the wheel. The phone option for me was only possible with the WunderLINQ, so I can control the navigation, the music, and lots of other things without taking my hands off the bars. It always connects as there is only one connection, I rarely dial out when riding and if you set your phone up correctly you can take the call without losing the screen with the map on.
For me it works.

I’d like to have been able stick with the WunderLINQ, but sadly it’s a bit rubbish if you’re on Apple. Not WunderLINQms fault, but Apples. Navigating around your iPhone is a one way trip, with you being able to open apps but no way to ‘step back’ to previous screens.

Unless any one on here has tried it more recently than me and there’s been a significant improvement?

The Carpe Iter Adventure Control gets a good write up

heres a review on it and the BMW specific addition

I’d like to have been able stick with the WunderLINQ, but sadly it’s a bit rubbish if you’re on Apple. Not WunderLINQms fault, but Apples. Navigating around your iPhone is a one way trip, with you being able to open apps but no way to ‘step back’ to previous screens.

Unless any one on here has tried it more recently than me and there’s been a significant improvement?

I’m an apple user, I know where you are coming from, there is definitely more you can do on android but it does what I want on apple which is mainly control the map apps and see bike info, for me that’s enough.

The Carpe Iter Adventure Control gets a good write up

heres a review on it and the BMW specific addition

I think the carpe unit is probably my next nav system now it can incorporate the wheel.
I have to swap to a Samsung tablet for rallying now but that’s a minority of the time unfortunately. This is a simple set up for me, I lock the phone on, it charges and I can use the wheel for the maps, no cables to plug in and my phone is always charged. If I had a carpe unit I would then have to have another set up to charge the phone.

I’m an apple user, I know where you are coming from, there is definitely more you can do on android but it does what I want on apple which is mainly control the map apps and see bike info, for me that’s enough.

So have revisited this and got another wonderlinq as it seems the mapping is better.

Glad I did! Inside IOS I’ve mapped the numbers 1 and 2 to a shortcut to my TomTom app and to Siri

Then in the WunderLINQ app I’ve mapped long right to enter and long left to escape. I’ve then mapped short indicator press to the number 1 and long press to the number 2.

So now I can navigate with the wheel around my Home Screen. Select apps open then; navigate around them and back to the Home Screen. A short press on the indicator button brings my TomTom app up and a long press Siri if I need it.

Have disconnected the wired part of the mount from the locking mechanism, clipped the WunderLINQ to that and then buried it under the nose faring.

Then I’ve got my phone attached to the bike by a sp anti vibration wireless charger mount.

All very clean and tidy!

Very pleased with it and would recommend anyone using their phone as a satnav on either iOS or android,to check it out.

Reactions: GB.
That sounds cool but way to complex for my brain

Yeah I kinda made that sound a way more complicated than it needed to be!

Basically it works and it’s great.

Yeah, I struggled to understand any of it, so you can now navigate your Home Screen and open apps with the wheel?

My indicator cancel switch cancels my denalis through my hexcan, would there be a clash if I did that with the WunderLINQ

If doing the NC500 there is no need for a Satnav just follow the big brown signs at every junction that say NC 500 and point you in the right direction😆

Carry a map for back up for off route attractions.

If doing the NC500 there is no need for a Satnav just follow the big brown signs at every junction that say NC 500 and point you in the right direction😆

Carry a map for back up for off route attractions.
I just use my phone as then I get live traffic feeds so I can avoid problems ahead.

I just use my phone as then I get live traffic feeds so I can avoid problems ahead.
Nice idea, but when you are doing a single road route with no optional diversions, all the traffic warning you get simply give you a few extra minutes to worry about the jam/queue you will be caught in anyway! :)

Nice idea, but when you are doing a single road route with no optional diversions, all the traffic warning you get simply give you a few extra minutes to worry about the jam/queue you will be caught in anyway! :)
In Scotland maybe but in the rest of the civilised world we have options

Just my two pennies worth.

On a bike tour, I prefer to use a dedicated satnav, it is designed to be constantly powered when mounted in its cradle. The battery within is good enough for a mere few hours at best, before needing to be charged. The dedicated satnav will come better in heat or cold too.

Your phone, will likely to be running very hot by being constantly powered, it will also be depleting the battery quicker than it could be charged, (especially up north in Scotland) by constantly looking for a strong signal and because of this, the overheating protection will kick in, and the phone will not be getting charged, because it is to hot.

If I was to go out on a quick half an hour to an hour long jaunt, then I might consider using my phone. But I don’t, as I can’t stand the additional hardware being bolted on everywhere. Ok, there are Ram Claw mounts etc, however, I have my Garmin XT and it does what it is intended to be doing very well. My phone is there for quick google search, book a hotel, take photos or videos, send a message or two and to post/reply on here.
I agree. I take the phone and the Quadlock wireless charger thingy as back up. I create and then transfer the routes from My Route App to the Nav 5. Overall, more reliable than a phone (IMHO), especially in hot weather and direct sunlight. I never use the wonder wheel so I'm not against another satnav like the XT or a cradle whatsit. My nav has never let me down, but the phone setup..........................................................

Yeah, I struggled to understand any of it, so you can now navigate your Home Screen and open apps with the wheel?

Yes basically.
Up, down, left & right
Enter and escape
All from the wheel.

My indicator cancel switch cancels my denalis through my hexcan, would there be a clash if I did that with the WunderLINQ

No idea how that would work!

Although you could ignore that and not map the short (or long) press on the indicator switch. Whichever one you use to work the denalis.

If you just had that mapped to Siri you could then call that up and use it to navigate around the phone.

Last edited:
I get that, I thought the wheel only worked within the WunderLINQ app

If you go into ‘settings> accessibility>keyboards’ and make sure full keyboard access is enabled, then you can navigate around the Home Screen as well as the WunderLINQ app.

A long press right will enter an app and long press left will exit it.

Reactions: GB.
I have recently become a GS1250 owner, so far just been out and about on routes I know well.

Looking at doing the NC500 next May with friends and thinking do I need a BMW Nav system or would I be able to just get away with iPhone hooked up to my quad lock system on a constant charge.

Also thinking about possible trips to Europe as well, what’s the thoughts on this. Do we really need the Satnav system, anyone got any good or bad experiences with either option.

Finally if a BMW Nav system is needed, is the 5 or 6 a one to go for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the NAV 6 after using TomToms for a while. Solid and reliable.
But I have to say I hate Garmin Basecamp so much. I use My Google maps (not Google maps) and create routes for our groups adventures. Then download the map into a KML file. Then Import the KML file into Basecamp which converts it in to a GPX file, send it to the device and away you go. I so miss my TomTom.....on my 9th Gs and still love these models after a brief affair with two MultiStradas....

Back
Top Bottom