Should I swap to an RT?

Greenman14

Well-known member
UKGSer Subscriber
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
1,581
Reaction score
44
Location
Gloucestershire
I know this is a section for RT riders so it’s likely a lot of you will love the bike, anyway this is my problem- I’m a reasonable fit 75 year old and I’ve been on a downsizing track, from a TC 1200 GS, for a few years. None of the bikes I’ve owned since (Tracer 900, Tiger 800 and. Y current bike, a CB500X) really hit the spot when I’m on my annual bike tour that includes all sorts of roads and ride times of about 5hrs/day. Basically I’m knackered at the end of a day, and particularly if it’s been a day of motorways. I feel it’s mostly the noise. Off of motorways the 500X is fine as long as I don’t need to make many overtakes but on motorways stints of over an hour, generally at 70-80mph, I’m exhausted.

Question is would an RT, for preference a TC, be a relaxing ride and would I, as a 70kg weakling, manage its weight?

PS, I’m 5’9” and my knees don’t like being bent at tight angles.
 
Last edited:
it would seem your still fit and active. I can’t see any reason why a rt would be too much for you. I wonder are you missing the boxer engine? I’d try a r or rs. I’m 66 and have just got a 3 year old r1250 r. Went from a guzzy v850tt which might be worth a test ride. My r does suffer from wind noise even with a big screen and a screw on thing as well. I enjoy my bike immensely. Much more than my previous bike. I’ve had rt bikes before and like them. JJH
 
I'd certainly recommend trying one but...they are a chunk heavier than your past TC1200. I recently bought a lovely 2012 RT TC. The guy selling was late 60s (I am 60), he was about 5ft 8 and the RT was just getting too much for him (I'm 6ft...but get his point and in 10 yrs I imagine it will be a bit much for me)
 
I'm 5'9" albeit a bit younger and lardier than you (~85kg.?) and had a 2007 R1200RT. It's hefty moving around the garage but no worse than a GS. The lower seat height and leccy screen in particular should give u a much more relaxed motorway ride. Give a TC a try to make sure the knee bend and weight aren't too much.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: JJH
Hard one to answer, try one. I owned RTs for 14years, also rode RTs blood biking. Loved them, but I just decided a couple of years ago that the bulk was becoming tiring. I wouldn't just roll it out the garage to nip into town. I'm 69, 5ft 8 and around 80kgs.

I downsized to a TMax, love the thing. I also own a R100 so still get my airhead fix when I need it :) I initially missed the 1250 oomph, but not anymore, just need to plan overtakes a bit more.

The RT is a brilliant way to travel, have owned RT airheads, and just about every model including the 1250.
 
The only way to find out, is to buy one. Or, if possible, borrow one on an extended loan. Whether it’ll suit YOU, as opposed to the man next door, for extended rides along motorways or just ‘long days’ is something you’ll have to find out for yourself.

Maybe, you’l just discover that - at 75, presumably going on 76 - that extended motorway runs or those ‘long days’ involving overtakes are no longer for you? If so, it’ll not be the motorcycle that’s the primary cause.

:beerjug:

PS If it’s ’the noise’ that you think is troubling you most, do you use decent ear plugs and / or have you ‘improved’ the CB500X with some howling exhaust, to unleash the monster that lives within?
 
Last edited:
At 77, 5’10”, and 73kg, I’ve been riding a 2018 RT for the past 6 years with no problems - other than a spell of vertigo, but that’s nothing to do with the bike and now appears to be resolved.

We have done numerous trips to Greece 2-up on the RT, which have included motorway use, with the fairing providing sufficient wind protection to prevent it becoming a strain, so no hanging on for grim death st 70mph.

Go have a decent test ride to see if it suits you…
 
I've had 3 RT's, the most recent was the twin cam 90th anniversary model, great bike and superb engine .....but, I found it to be a cramped riding position for such a big bike, had to jump off to ease the hips often on long rides. Been mentioned before but do try the Guzzi V85 TT, I found the riding position and ergonomics to be very good, its lighter and has perfectly acceptable power for long distance touring......also has bags of Guzzi character 😀 👍
 
I thought mine was very manageable and I'm a short arse.
Although anything is at the side of the other tanks I ride.😅20210916_115300.jpg
 
@Greenman14
If you're able to get one out for a test ride...and this probably common sense so sorry for teach granny to suck eggs and all that....it ony feels heavy at 0-5 mph. Once moving, it is a joy...so perhaps ride it home and push it about the drive, into and out of the garage etc...to get the feel of the weight doing standstill manouevres etc. (Mine lives on my new hydraulic ramp...it's maybe 6" off the floor so has to be pushed up the ramp. I have to really think about it to do it in one go (dead easy if my wife helps) I tried riding it on but then have the precarious issue of getting off without the side stand down, balancing the bike and getting it up onto centre stand. You may have a bigger garage and no issues in and out?)
 
Heavy motorcycles plus ageing riders, at some point a decision needs to be made.
I recently came to the honest conclusion that downsizing is the way forward inorder to maintain practicality and the subsequent enthusiasm of motorcycling.
Since I made that decision targeting by middleweight bikes I'm now riding more. It isn't such a chore these days dragging the bike out of the garage and I forgot how much of a joy it is to ride around on middleweight bikes.
I'm not preaching here but just stating a reality that comes to us all.

May you ride till you get your telegram from the King and I hope an RT works for you.👍
:beerjug:
 
Since I made that decision targeting by middleweight bikes I'm now riding more….

The OP has a middleweight CB500X. It’s the ‘noise’ and overtaking / motorways that are bothering him.

His enquiry is as to whether swapping (trading up) to an RT will help him cure or reduce those specific problems. Something, he can probably only find out for himself, I guess.

:beerjug:
 
I have an 04 1150 RT... Lower pegs and bar risers and I'm 6'5"... Later RTs are tighter, LCs are tighter again .. In general an RT is an easy bike to live with, weight is well distributed and long distance comfort is as good as you can expect... LC RTs are really the modern Pan without the weight but more complicated so decide what equipment you'd like and buy according...
I'm analogue over bling and personal bling preference will decide the era you'd like...
In many respects they're a GS for road riders as most GSs never see anything but tar...
 
OP

There is one for sale here:


Contact the seller and see if you can have a trial go, perhaps?
 
I know this is a section for RT riders so it’s likely a lot of you will love the bike, anyway this is my problem- I’m a reasonable fit 75 year old and I’ve been on a downsizing track, from a TC 1200 GS, for a few years. None of the bikes I’ve owned since (Tracer 900, Tiger 800 and. Y current bike, a CB500X) really hit the spot when I’m on my annual bike tour that includes all sorts of roads and ride times of about 5hrs/day. Basically I’m knackered at the end of a day, and particularly if it’s been a day of motorways. I feel it’s mostly the noise. Off of motorways the 500X is fine as long as I don’t need to make many overtakes but on motorways stints of over an hour, generally at 70-80mph, I’m exhausted.

Question is would an RT, for preference a TC, be a relaxing ride and would I, as a 70kg weakling, manage its weight?

PS, I’m 5’9” and my knees don’t like being bent at tight angles.
You're roughly similar height to me. I weigh 78 Kg and managed my RT fiine but my hip (previous medical issues ) couldn't really put up with the low seat height due to the tight peg angle. I also got knee strain (arthritic knees) riding the RT for more than a few hours. The RT pegs to seat height and angle can be challenging. Great seat, great bar ergos but crap peg position means legroom is cramped. Much better in higher seat setting but when stopping, I couldn't quite flat foot it both sides on the high setting and had to avoid any undue shock on my back that a hasty foot down might have (and did have that happen). Noise isn't bad at all, it's very quiet turbulence wise especially compared to a GS or similar. Bizarrely, I find the riding position on my gen 2 Hayabusa more comfortable due to the pegs being slightly more rearset, slightly increasing the knee angle, and that combined with a low seat height and excellent streamlining and fairing design mean that the Hayabusa for me is even less fatiguing than the RT was, despite mass being similar. It's definitely easier to man handle being lower and having a very low CoG.

Only sensible advice I can offer is go for a test ride on one, and see if you can get at least a few hours on mixed roads with one. Only a test ride will tell you if it's worth the swap.
 


Back
Top Bottom