So far not very impressed

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We’re in France heading to Alsace in the car, so a good chance to test the new app. Mixed results so far.

1st day was Caen ferry down to Domaine de Villeray, about 160km or so. I’d planned a route in Route Lab, it appeared in the app and I navigated it from the app. All went well.

2nd day was about 300 miles to Nuits st George. I’d planned a non motorway route in Route Lab, which was fine but we decided to get a wiggle on and skip part of the route down the Peage.
There’s no feature to to do this so I put a destination near the MRA route into the TomTom app, which worked fine.

However, we got back near the MRA planned route, switched back to the MRA app, and it asked if we wanted to resume the route - sounds good, so pressed that. It wanted us to go back and start again, it seems there’s no ‘join at nearest point” option. There’s also no way to skip lots of waypoints, has to be one at a time. So we could not re-use the planned route.

Also, I don’t see a way to modify the route on the fly, for example by dropping a pin, without going back to route lab and making a new one.

So I thought OK, just make a new A-B route, which is quite easy but it just picks the fastest motorway route with no option to add avoidances.

Could be me, but so far the navigation function doesn’t seem that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no ‘Rejoin route at nearest point’ option in a MyRoute route. The way it is done is:

Display the route.

Touch and hold a waypoint closest to a point on the route, where it would be convenient for you to join.

The app will then calculate you a route to that point, from which the pre-set route you created will run automatically.

MyRoute recommends placing a waypint every 5 km or so along a route. Use the ’expand’ function, which makes this easier.

If there is no conveniently placed way point in the route, create one.

PS The preferences setting is:

New route

Page menu

Toolkit

Routing options

Avoid

Last edited:
I was actually on the route when it asked me to resume the route, and when I said yes it wanted to go back to the start, or skip all the waypoints manually.

As far as I can see, the option in the tool kit only apply to making a new route.

It looks like the navigation is good as long as you want to navigate a route already prepared, but not so much if you need to change - the method of change is a new route.

When on the route, touch and hold the waypoint up ahead you want to start from.

Have a trial run over breakfast :beerjug:

Well I’ve just done 1600 miles around Asturias and up through France using the new app, and once I got to grips with it (too about an hour), it was pretty much perfect.
Only thing missing is a skip waypoint option on CarPlay screen to save having to access phone to achieve such.

It looks like the navigation is good as long as you want to navigate a route already prepared, but not so much if you need to change - the method of change is a new route.

If I understand you correctly. You can muck around / alter a prepared route as much as you like.

Go into your Cloud based MyRoute account. Find the route you wish to alter in your personal library. If you want to keep it unaltered, make a copy. Open the copy. Change / alter the copy as much as you like. The altered copy (maybe give it a new name) will save automatically into your personal library.

Now open the app.

Open the altered route.

Navigate the altered route.

Tip: Play around with it all. You can’t break it.

PS You are right though, that you can’t alter a route that is displayed within the app, quite as much as you can on say, a Garmin device. That may change, as the app develops. The owners certainly have big plans for it, linking the app much more closely to the Cloud.

Last edited:

Well I regularly tweaked and changed our routes whilst at a coffee stop.Took minutes and very easy.
Just add new waypoints using the cursor on the map then go into ‘waypoints’ and re-order them as you want, deleting any not required.
All done on my phone .It’s not difficult .

Well I’ve just done 1600 miles around Asturias and up through France using the new app, and once I got to grips with it (too about an hour), it was pretty much perfect.
Only thing missing is a skip waypoint option on CarPlay screen to save having to access phone to achieve such.

Good to hear. The MyRoute team are definitely working on improving the app’s performance in CarPlay and its Google equivalent.

Well I regularly tweaked and changed our routes whilst at a coffee stop.Took minutes and very easy.
Just add new waypoints using the cursor on the map then go into ‘waypoints’ and re-order them as you want, deleting any not required.
All done on my phone .It’s not difficult .

Yes, the non intuitive bit is you can’t do that in the navigation part of the app, you have to back to the route in route lab - at least as far as I can see.

I’ve been sending the route to the XT, where you can edit the route on the fly or change from motorway to non motorway.

Another bug, unless it’s just on my phone, is that the “stop navigation” button doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn’t work, in what sense? What happens (or doesn’t happen) when you push the button?

Another bug, unless it’s just on my phone, is that the “stop navigation” button doesn’t work.

Doesn’t work, in what sense? What happens (or doesn’t happen) when you push the button?
Just doesn’t do anything. I closed everything down, opened it up and then it worked. I think maybe it’s because I’m doing this online, and the phone signal is crap.I haven’t been able to download the mSPS, as the internet in all my hotels has been rubbish, and as I had to delete and reinstall the app to do some kind of update I lost the maps I had before.

I might be getting the hang of it now, realising to make any mods you have to go back to ‘route lab’ and not just open the ”routes” section.

I wanted to go from Colmar to Riquewihr down the wine route, so I set Riquewihr as a destination. It took me completely the wrong way, and theres no way to change the settings or add waypoint in the navigation part of the app. So then I went back to Routes, where I also couldn’t do anything. I reverted to the XT which actually has the wine route in it, so all fine, but now fiddling about I see I can do everything g needed but not in the navigation part of the app, but in route labs

Route lab holds the key.

This will, so we are told, change, as the app becomes more integrated with the Cloud based stuff. I cannot recommend the MRA forum highly enough for help.

I'm heading off on a circa 2500 mile trip in just over a week and plan to use MRA the entire time (alongside my Zumo XT) but can't make my mind up whether to just use it on my phone on the QuadLock or to put the CarPlay screen back on. Dash looks a bit busy as it is with all the screens haha

I just want to check I’m not being daft here.

MRA used to be 2 apps, Navigator and the MRA route planner. Navigator was a pretty decent app, you could do an A-B route, choosing avoidances, fastest, no motorways, and reroute easily to find petrol etc.

My understanding is that the Navigator app is now redundant and we’re on to the new shiny MRA with navigation built in.

First off, am correct or is Navigator still the navigation app?

If it’s just MRA, then why, in MRA navigation, can’t you do any of the things you could in Navigator? All you can do is pick a destination and go there. No avoid motorways, no detour for petrol, no add a waypoint for a diversion.

For that, you must go back and start again with planning the route in the route lab and then navigating it.

Yet, the opening page on the new app is the map, where it just asks for your destination and once you do that that’s it, no choices, no changes.

For what it’s worth, I have just created a test route, using nothing more than the new app and am now ready to run it. All on my iPhone, doing nothing more than following the instructions in the manual.

Yes, I’ve done that too. It’s easy, as easy as it is on my XT or my TomTom app on my phone, just not as good.

More on the navigation app, after playing around tonight.

When you open the app, you are presented with a map page. You can search for a location, or pick one of your favourites.

You can pick one destination, and select from different windiness options, or a couple of avoidances like highways. For example, I want to avoid Paris but I can’t.

That’s it. You cannot, once navigation has started:

change avoidances like tolls or fastest or shortest
Add a waypoint,
Change the route in any way, like to find a petrol station, as there’s no search button on the navigation page

You can only navigate or stop the route. The only way out of this screen is to stop navigation, and if you do the route is gone, it doesn’t show as the last route or in the route list.

This is very basic functionality.

So unless you want a-b entirely selected by the app, ignore the opening map page, press route labs, press new route and create a route from there. Or, press new route at the bottom of the page -

If you want to just route a-b with some control, use something else.

I’ve posted up now in the MRA forum, where it’s confirmed that some of these things will come. Till then, it’s a very good route planner.

I'm heading off on a circa 2500 mile trip in just over a week and plan to use MRA the entire time (alongside my Zumo XT) but can't make my mind up whether to just use it on my phone on the QuadLock or to put the CarPlay screen back on. Dash looks a bit busy as it is with all the screens haha

I started using the MRA app, then switched in short order to cresting the route in MRA then navigating it with the Zumo

I just want to check I’m not being daft here.

MRA used to be 2 apps, Navigator and the MRA route planner. Navigator was a pretty decent app, you could do an A-B route, choosing avoidances, fastest, no motorways, and reroute easily to find petrol etc.

My understanding is that the Navigator app is now redundant and we’re on to the new shiny MRA with navigation built in.

First off, am correct or is Navigator still the navigation app?

If it’s just MRA, then why, in MRA navigation, can’t you do any of the things you could in Navigator? All you can do is pick a destination and go there. No avoid motorways, no detour for petrol, no add a waypoint for a diversion.

For that, you must go back and start again with planning the route in the route lab and then navigating it.

Yet, the opening page on the new app is the map, where it just asks for your destination and once you do that that’s it, no choices, no changes.

I’ve checked myself, the Navigator app is dead - still works though.

I started using the MRA app, then switched in short order to cresting the route in MRA then navigating it with the Zumo.

That is what I do, too. I’d do the same with Garmin, if they’d only launch an iPad friendly version of BaseCamp, instead of flogging ‘Find your riding buddies’ and ‘Ooooh look, it’s maybe going to rain’ crap.

Back
Top Bottom