The Saga continues.

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I only got the bike back Friday afternoon from when I broke down the Sunday before. Went to start it saturday morning and very lumpy start, normally I leave it on a CTEK charger but I just didn't friday when it was dropped off as it was raining and just wanted to get it covered.

However it started (after throwing up a bunch of errors like back light out, its not.)

Rode around fine saturday and no further starting issues. Got home stuck it on the charger and no riding Sunday then I went to start this morning and first press very lumpy and threw up errors again, second press started errors all go away. The CTEK shows its fully charged and in good condition.

Guess I'll be getting a new battery then (thankfully under warranty)

4 months of ownership and so far a safety recall, a breakdown which ended with a new throttle grip and now the battery issue others have seen.

Not bad for a bike with 4500 miles and 3 years old under its belt.

I have no knowledge regarding your particular machine but an issue on bikes/cars that self-check is hitting the Start button too soon after waking the bike; if may not be relevant but try a deliberate pause between ignition on and Start, giving time for the checking process to work. Sorry to hear your troubles as it must mar the new bike experience somewhat.

I’ve only had this once on my bike.

i started it one morning and it was lumpy and took a couple of seconds to start.
After which I had an error light?
I rode to work and it rode ok, after stopping the bike and later restarting I’ve never seen the error since?

Reading the above comment, maybe I pressed the ignition button and start immediately?

I have no knowledge regarding your particular machine but an issue on bikes/cars that self-check is hitting the Start button too soon after waking the bike; if may not be relevant but try a deliberate pause between ignition on and Start, giving time for the checking process to work. Sorry to hear your troubles as it must mar the new bike experience somewhat.
I can say that I do not attempt to start the bike until the display has fully loaded as I always like to check that it's in neutral before starting. (One of my things)

So it's a good few seconds because going near the start button.

I even leave it on the charger till after I've started

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Sounds like a depleted battery, even a smart charger like a Ctek cannot see loss of capacity and will still report it as 100% once charged to whatever it can hold.

I fitted a new bigger Motobatt AGM battery to my 2019GSA and still have my fully charged OE BMW battery at home in Fareham, if you need to borrow it for testing or until you can source another you are most welcome. I also have a Noco GB40 booster pack if you fancied trying a jump start with bad battery symptoms to prove/disprove it.

Sounds like a depleted battery, even a smart charger like a Ctek cannot see loss of capacity and will still report it as 100% once charged to whatever it can hold.

I fitted a new bigger Motobatt AGM battery to my 2019GSA and still have my fully charged OE BMW battery at home in Fareham, if you need to borrow it for testing or until you can source another you are most welcome. I also have a Noco GB40 booster pack if you fancied trying a jump start with bad battery symptoms to prove/disprove it.
I appreciate that (I'm currently over the road in Whiteley where I work, with the bike).

As in other posts it seems to be a known issue and BMW replace the battery without question so I'm going to ring Barnstormer this morning as I want to get my monies worth.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

13000 miles and mines had new cams to replace the chocolate ones that were in it.

Apart from that it’s all good :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom