K1200S

Engineer

He/Him - Guitar Student and Electronics Engineer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Huntingdonshire (Cambridgeshire) & Bedfordshire
Been toying with the idea of getting a K1200S to complement the 1200GS.

I have had a couple of test rides but would like some input from an owner who has done a few miles. Anyone here got one? Are there any niggles/common problems etc?

I have had a couple of test rides but would like some input from an owner who has done a few miles. Anyone here got one? Are there any niggles/common problems etc?

I just sold mine. Lots of problems with them, ranging from failed transmissions, ESA suspension, final drives, brakes, and various electrical glitches. Mine nearly left me stranded twice when it wouldn't start. The dealership couldn't find the source of the problem after running the bike through a full battery of diagnostics, which meant it could happen again at any time. I wanted a reliable bike I could trust to take me anywhere. The K1200S wasn't it. :(

Engineer,

I did exactly what you are comtemplating last September and bought a new K1200S. I have done just under 5000 miles on it since. The only thing that has been done to it is to have a later software program downloaded to the ECU. Other than that there have been zero issues.

The only component that has been replaced has been the rear tyre, the original Bridgestone BT014 needing replacing after 2400 miles. I have fitted an Avon Azaro AV46 which is looking good for about the 6000 mile mark. The brake pads are showing little wear both front and back.

Mine has the servo ABS and heated grips as the only factory fit options. I test rode one with the ESA and it was very nice to be able to change settings on the move, but I didn't see it as essential. The standard suspension works very well and gives a nice supple ride, not at the expense of the handling.

If you are looking at a 2007 model then the ABS option is now non servo. The gearbox is supposed to be improved on earlier models too, though mine does have a clunky first to second change but is nice and slick for all other gear changes.

Forums to try out are www.bmw-k.com or www.i-bmw.com and finally www.k-bikes.com. There may be others but all three are a good source of info.

Comfort wise it is very good for a sports tourer. The only thing I have done is to fit a MV Verholen footpeg lowering kit to give my dodgy knee a bit more room. The standard screen works very well for me (I'm 6'3") and gives a smooth flow of air with surprisingly little wind noise (it is far quieter than the GS).

If you haven't done so already try and take one out for at least a couple of hours, longer if you can. They really are a cracking motorcycle, though not the all rounder that the GS is. But lovely to have in the garage when a bit of fun is required.

Engineer, you have to remember that Aurelius is one of those guys who when he buys a bike it is the best thing since sliced bread, but when he sells it, it has become a piece of crap:D Here are some of the things he has said about his previous bikes ( all taken from some of his posts on the odd forum or two)

"Over the last three years and 50k miles, the GS distinguished itself as the best bike I'd ever owned"

"The K1200S has ruined me for any other bike. There was a time when I welcomed the sight of several bikes in my garage, but now I'm forced to reconcile myself to the fact that for me, its the K1200S or nothing"

"But I will say this: before I became acquainted with the KS, I could point to any bike in my stable and list at least one thing it did better than all the others. After the KS, that's no longer the case. After the KS, there's no other bike I even want to ride."

:augie

Engineer, you have to remember that Aurelius is one of those guys who when he buys a bike it is the best thing since sliced bread, but when he sells it, it has become a piece of crap:D Here are some of the things he has said about his previous bikes ( all taken from some of his posts on the odd forum or two)

"Over the last three years and 50k miles, the GS distinguished itself as the best bike I'd ever owned"

"The K1200S has ruined me for any other bike. There was a time when I welcomed the sight of several bikes in my garage, but now I'm forced to reconcile myself to the fact that for me, its the K1200S or nothing"

"But I will say this: before I became acquainted with the KS, I could point to any bike in my stable and list at least one thing it did better than all the others. After the KS, that's no longer the case. After the KS, there's no other bike I even want to ride."

:augie

All statements which accurately reflect my state of mind at the time I made them. Of course what Bob deliberately neglects to mention is that they were all made BEFORE I experienced any problems with these bikes. He neglects to mention that, because his interest here is not to give an accurate or objective assessment of the K1200S, but to defend his purchase decision. Its been said often that when you ask the owner of a new vehicle what he thinks of it, keep in mind that you're talking to the salesman. :mmmm

You must be a tough guy to please Andrew if having covered 50000 miles on your GS and considering it the "best bike I'd ever owned" that you were fickle enough to revise that opinion as soon as you had a problem.:augie

Likewise with your K1200S, you say it "almost didn't start" twice, but it didn't leave you stranded. You say there were "lots of problems on them" but what problems did you have on yours apart from the aforementioned almost not starting and an issue with the steering damper? Did the transmission or final drive go on yours? Did you have any other problems?

As for justifying my purchase, I have given an accurate description of my experiences with it to date. Unlike you, who has mentioned problems allegedly had by others (not to mention the result of a spurious poll about transmission failure), I have also pointed Engineer in the direction of 3 K1200S forums where he can see for himself and make an objective decision. Hardly the work of someone trying to justify my purchase.

I suspect in 18 months to 2 years time you will be replacing your Speed Triple, of which you currently wax lyrical, and be talking about it in the way that you are now talking about your K1200S and 1150GS.

Had one since July 05. Tailight bulb went 8mls from new nothing else until battery failure just before warranty expired. C. 9000 mls on it now but I don't ride it in winter unlike GS. second set of Sporttecs only lasted 2400 mls but replacement Pilot Roads much better. Recently fitted Powercone and black MRA screen looks and sound much better. Awesome performance but easy to ride gently if you want to. Would certainly recommend (the only brand new vehicle I've ever bought and ESA well worth it!)
Richard

You must be a tough guy to please Andrew if having covered 50000 miles on your GS and considering it the "best bike I'd ever owned" that you were fickle enough to revise that opinion as soon as you had a problem.:augie

Well yes, a failed final drive and a $600+ repair bill can ruin anyone's perception of the bike. That, and the fact that these sorts of problems, along with failed transmissions, seem to plague even the latest generation of BMW's.

Likewise with your K1200S, you say it "almost didn't start" twice, but it didn't leave you stranded.

It didn't leave me stranded only because I kept pressing the start button until the battery was almost drained. Most people would have given up on the 20th try and called a tow truck.

You say there were "lots of problems on them" but what problems did you have on yours apart from the aforementioned almost not starting and an issue with the steering damper? Did the transmission or final drive go on yours? Did you have any other problems?

No, I wisely decided to sell mine before anything else went wrong. Once I realized that I couldn't trust the bike on long journeys (one of the chief reasons I bought it), there was just no sense in keeping it any longer - especially given the rate at which these things depreciate.

As for justifying my purchase, I have given an accurate description of my experiences with it to date. Unlike you, who has mentioned problems allegedly had by others (not to mention the result of a spurious poll about transmission failure), I have also pointed Engineer in the direction of 3 K1200S forums where he can see for himself and make an objective decision. Hardly the work of someone trying to justify my purchase.

Oh? So what WAS your reason for digging up old posts of mine to give the false impression that I'd had no subsequent problems with these bikes?

I suspect in 18 months to 2 years time you will be replacing your Speed Triple, of which you currently wax lyrical, and be talking about it in the way that you are now talking about your K1200S and 1150GS.

Well you're at least right in theory, Bob. If I do have these sorts of problems with the Triple which cause me to lose faith in it, you can be certain that I'll waste no time replacing it. And I won't be the least bit shy about making potential buyers like Engineer aware of what they might be in for.

No, I wisely decided to sell mine before anything else went wrong. Once I realized that I couldn't trust the bike on long journeys (one of the chief reasons I bought it), there was just no sense in keeping it any longer - especially given the rate at which these things depreciate.

So that was the only issue you had with it? No failed final drive or transmission on your K?

Oh? So what WAS your reason for digging up old posts of mine to give the false impression that I'd had no subsequent problems with these bikes?

I didn't dig the posts up to show you had had no problems, just to show some of the stuff you had said about the bikes in the not so distant past:rolleyes:

Well you're at least right in theory, Bob. If I do have these sorts of problems with the Triple which cause me to lose faith in it, you can be certain that I'll waste no time replacing it. And I won't be the least bit shy about making potential buyers like Engineer aware of what they might be in for.

Just as I was doing with my own personal experiences of my K1200S Andrew. Which is what Engineer had asked for. And if I had experienced problems with my bike, I would have told him too. But since there were none to report I wasn't going to make some up:D (which is not a suggestion that is what you did)

So that was the only issue you had with it? No failed final drive or transmission on your K?

If I had, I would have mentioned it. And as perverse as it may sound, a final drive or transmission problem at least has the virtue of being rare and repairable. The intermittent starting problems my bike experienced couldn't be repaired or predicted. None of the diagnostic tests showed anything out of the ordinary, which meant that the problem still persists and could rear its ugly head at any time anywhere - not exactly a desireable feature in a touring bike.

I didn't dig the posts up to show you had had no problems, just to show some of the stuff you had said about the bikes in the not so distant past:rolleyes:

Your point being what, that there are things I very much liked about both these bikes? Obviously there were, else I wouldn't have bought either one.

Just as I was doing with my own personal experiences of my K1200S Andrew. Which is what Engineer had asked for.

Engineer asked if there were any "niggles/common problems". I answered that question, at which point you took it upon yourself to comment on my answers, which was NOT what Engineer asked for. I'm glad you haven't had problems with your K, Bob. Really I am. But that doesn't mean that others haven't, or that you ought to take any criticism of the K1200S personally, as you seem to have. As we've both already strayed well outside the bounds of Engineer's question, this will be my final post on the matter.

Engineer asked if there were any "niggles/common problems". I answered that question, at which point you took it upon yourself to comment on my answers, which was NOT what Engineer asked for. I'm glad you haven't had problems with your K, Bob. Really I am. But that doesn't mean that others haven't, or that you ought to take any criticism of the K1200S personally, as you seem to have. As we've both already strayed well outside the bounds of Engineer's question, this will be my final post on the matter.

Engineer actually said "but would like some input from an owner who has done a few miles. Anyone here got one? Are there any niggles/common problems etc?" Now I intepreted that as asking anyone who has owned a K1200S what niggles they have had on their bikes,in their own personal experience so I answered him. I also gave him a list of K1200S sites so that he could look around for himself. Hardly the actions of someone taking it personally. But then such an accusation is usually made when someone has run out of ammo:D

You chose to relate your own experiences plus others which you hadn't actually experienced for yourself, which did exceed the parameters somewhat. But I'm sure Engineer will be able to access the sites for himself and make up his own mind:)

Back
Top Bottom