Electrics dead.

Capt. Scarlet

Reaction score
Put bike away yesterday, everything worky fine.
Get bike out today... no worky.

Its an 02 1150 adventure.
Ignition off battery fine. Turn ignition on, instrument lights very dim, massive drain on battery. Flick kill switch to on makes things worse, press start button.. everything dies.
Battery is fine. Ground from battery is fine.
Bad earth somewhere else? Broken wire? Maybe the old broken ignition wire?
Are there any usual culprits on this bike I should look at first before I go digging any further?
Any help is, of course, much appreciated. :)

Turn ignition on, instrument lights very dim, massive drain on battery. Flick kill switch to on makes things worse, press start button.. everything dies.

It coul dbe a big drain onthe battery but is more likely to be a bad connection. Lift the back of the fuel tank and check both battery terminals are free of corrosion and then nipped up properly. Had this problem with mine at 2½ years. Been good ever since and still on original battery.

Just be careful not to short the live terminal to the tank when you put a spanner on it :)

Maybe a short in the starter motor;magnets coming loose.
Disconnect the +ve feed to the starter and check battery voltage/lights/horn etc.

I currently have a dead 1150 locked up in Ireland. Same symptoms. History points to a dodgy starter motor. Was advised to get the motor stripped down and reconditioned professionally last time I took the bike into Kearys in Cork. Then the bike died on the road just outside Dublin and the nice people at Joe Duffy offered to sell me a new starter for €450. :eek

Roynie took the motor off and cleaned it up for me, but the same thing happened again a few weeks later ... only this time the battery's fecked and wont hold a charge at all. At least I know now that I can buy a new starter motor on eBay, far cheaper than through BMW.

pull the starter motor cover off and with the ignition off, short the solenoid to the starter with a screwdriver, if the engine turns/cranks over it aint the starter motor.If doing this fries some delicate electronics, dont blame me, but it works on Guzzis.I would say your battery is buggerd, but i always say that.

I would say your battery is buggerd, but i always say that.

That's the easiest place to start and will answere a lot of questions if you know the battery is fully charged. :thumb
That's why I have an emergency jump starter in the garage: It saves me breaking a finger nail when taking things apart prematurely. :blagblah

Thanks for the replys.

Battery connections nice and tight and no corrosion, so not that.
Disconnect starter... problem still there.

Battery is 12v19ah, reading 12.9v across the battery. Drops to 7.9! when ignition is turned on.

Having a breather from it now. Only tool I feel like using at the mo (keep it clean...) is the hammer.

Id check the wires from under the ignition switch, seems a common problem and I found it just before mine failed. Obviously looking at the wiring diagram most of the supplies are fed via that.

Reading symptoms again would possably agree with Sooty.

Thanks for the replys.

Battery connections nice and tight and no corrosion, so not that.
Disconnect starter... problem still there.

Battery is 12v19ah, reading 12.9v across the battery. Drops to 7.9! when ignition is turned on.

Having a breather from it now. Only tool I feel like using at the mo (keep it clean...) is the hammer.

Battery is fecked

And how exactly does that fit with

It fits in as loose magnets lock up the starter motor which then can't move and thus takes a very high current which if kept on for any length of time aill burn out the armature.
Dave GS

It fits in as loose magnets lock up the starter motor which then can't move and thus takes a very high current which if kept on for any length of time aill burn out the armature.
Dave GS

Which would only happen when starter button pressed, not when ignition turned on or kill switch turned on.

reading 12.9v across the battery. Drops to 7.9! when ignition is turned on.

Either the battery is goosed, or you have a dead short somewhere. Look for a pall of smoke when the ignition is turned on :augie, or charge the battery and try again. If the battery won't take a charge, my first diagnosis stands.

That's the easiest place to start and will answere a lot of questions if you know the battery is fully charged. :thumb
That's why I have an emergency jump starter in the garage: It saves me breaking a finger nail when taking things apart prematurely. :blagblah

yep, just cos its fully charged doesnt mean its any good.

Back
Top Bottom