Weird charging - or not.....

Nantywenynen

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here follows a conundrum way beyond my ken. And if there are other posts on the same issue herein, I apologise but I can't find them. SO:

R1150GSA 2005.Had a problem with charging so ordered from Motorworks heroes, a voltage regulator. It did not help - spoke to the boys there and ordered a recon alternator. This went in BUT....on initial start and tick-over, the rev counter sat on zero until throttle was blipped when it then read accordingly and generated 14 or so volts [my local mechanic did all this as that level is way out of my relatively hopeless skill level]. Battery light was on for 2 mins until I zipped to refuel when all went off and looked good.

Following day I had a long drive of three hours. After 2.5hrs, on came battery charge light and ABS flashing light. I stopped to get fuel and have a coffee, restarted and all seemed fine.

Left wheels for 5 days while on a work trip, returned, bike started but after a few mins, on came battery light and ABS. Stopped at a local genius bike place who checked charge and ins spite of lights, it showed fine.

2.5hrs into ride home, brakes stopped fully functioning. When in neutral, rev counter dropped off and lights came on. On resting for ten mins or so, all returned to normal before the glitch returned.

My mechanic has not a clue. I have not a clue. Sometimes the lights are all on and yet the charge is OK....sometimes it clearly is not.

Do any of you amazingly bright sparks out there know what on earth might be the issue here? It's driving me mad - I loath electrics but this situation is really beyond everyone I speak to.

Thank you all in advance,

Bert

P.S. @Admin...I really like the new look site.

the first thing I would try to eliminate is a bad earth, ie work around the entire loom at check/clean up every earth point

the first thing I would try to eliminate is a bad earth, ie work around the entire loom at check/clean up every earth point
Thanks for this. One other thing is that when I stick it in neutral, all the lights come on - then go off [sometimes] when in gear. I think we'll start with the bad earth search. Much appreciate your advice.

Could well be the big clump of earth leads all crimped together in the instrument loom. The sheafing of the loom is open at both ends, water gets in and sits where the bend is in the loom, which also happens to be where all those unprotected earth leads are crimped, expect to find a green verdigris mess, fairly common problem now the bikes are getting on in age.

Are the clump of earth leads easy to locate in the instrument loom?

Any pictures or further guidance?

RHS of the bike (Throttle side) on the inside of the metal framework that supports the lights/ instrument cluster.
You cant miss it, its about 15mm diameter

Could well be the big clump of earth leads all crimped together in the instrument loom. The sheafing of the loom is open at both ends, water gets in and sits where the bend is in the loom, which also happens to be where all those unprotected earth leads are crimped, expect to find a green verdigris mess, fairly common problem now the bikes are getting on in age.
Thanks Steptoe. Verdigris mess fills me with dread....we'll fight through it.....

Back
Top Bottom