Original FD at >100K Miles?

Ron from BC

Reaction score
There are tonnes of threads regarding the early breakdown of the final drive. My '02 GSA is at 92K miles with it's original FD and clutch.

I'm curious how many others have high mileage on their original one.

Steptoe would likely have some good input here...

Now that I've asked this question I'll probably find mine will fail tomorrow...:eek

Final drive

There are tonnes of threads regarding the early breakdown of the final drive. My '02 GSA is at 92K miles with it's original FD and clutch.

Now that I've asked this question I'll probably find mine will fail tomorrow...:eek

2001 GS 100,046 miles original clutch and final drive. Stripped the final drive on Monday to change the main bearing, but on close inspection it was fine, all rivets in place and no swarf in the casing so left it and put it all back together.

Thanks to Steptoe for his photo guide on stripping down the drive, made the job easy. One thing though although the main pinion wheel is only held in with the seal it took a lot of effort and a rubber mallet to push it out.

I'll post some photos later of the bearing etc.

Happy days :thumb2

I've a Y2K bike with 93K miles on it.
Had to change the clutch,along with the gearbox input shaft at 54K due excessive wear on the splines.Clutch plate looked good for a lot more miles.
Final drive bearing changed at 54K and 84K.No problem with bearings but the first was changed because it was apart already and the second changed before long trip.FD oil is changed every time i change engine oil.It's only 250cc and you can check it for shiny debris which warns of impending failure.

For the few pennies and little time I also change my FD oil at every oil change. The last few times I have detected a couple of very small particles however they ende up in the container not on the magnet so I suspect they are some aluminum bits from the casing or something.

Over 110 k on mine, I carry a spare big bearing on long trips and keep the oil fresh.

FD

(2001)1150RT-167000KM-FD dead..(on the road)
(2003)1150GS-A--120000KM,changed the FD, yet it was ok,,.
(2002)1150RT-64000KM-FD dead..(on the road)...and same bike this year 110000KM,dead,,almost on the road.

Over 110 k on mine, I carry a spare big bearing on long trips and keep the oil fresh.

That's great! I carry a spare with the O-ring and seal too in my big tool bag when I go on trips. I figure it should be no prob to find a garage in a small town with a gear puller but the FD etc not so much..hahaha.

You still on your original clutch?

I just ordered a clutch slave to put on the parts shelf when needed. I'm still in love with my bike and have no intention of selling for something newer. It now has more miles on it than my R90 with collector plates. :rolleyes:

That's great! I carry a spare with the O-ring and seal too in my big tool bag when I go on trips. I figure it should be no prob to find a garage in a small town with a gear puller but the FD etc not so much..hahaha.

You still on your original clutch?

I just ordered a clutch slave to put on the parts shelf when needed. I'm still in love with my bike and have no intention of selling for something newer. It now has more miles on it than my R90 with collector plates. :rolleyes:

Good news. Me, 70K miles with original FD and clutch. Although booked in this month for new FD bearings and input shaft seal. At my convenience rather than in the middle of a ride.

I think what I might do to capture the information from those who dont frequent the boards is drop by the local dealer and ask the old mechanic, old as me....ouch, and hear what comments he might have as well.

I have Cata's TB rebuild kit which I plan on installing this winter to ride the bike of the constant clicking.

Back
Top Bottom