Basecamp.....help!

russ996duke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have invested a lot of effort as many others have, in getting mapsource to behave!

Now that basecamp is here, I have tried to start using it but have discovered that it is no better than I expected....ho well.

having produced a set of some 18 route sectors in mapsource for our forthcoming tour, I thouhgt it would be a good idea to import them into basecamp and have a bit of a play.

I am now stumped so please help if you can!

I imported the routes as a folder, then this became a "collection". i wanted the routes separated so i could work on them, tweaking any garmin idiot re routes, these became "list" items

Question.
where do I access the "route properties" ( mapsource name)

having given up on basecamp I went back to mapsource on me old lap top to tweak the routes, then thought I had imported them again into basecamp, but now it seems not..
question
how do i ensure that what i have in basecamp is the version i want (ie the latest) of the routes?
on mapsource I would save as to ensure the latest version is the one saved, but this option or indeed "save" does not appear to be available to overwrite a folder with a later version.

one neat thing basecamp did when it downloaded the routes into my zumo 660 was it offered me the option of downloading them onto the sd card, which is nice I thought, and I wonder if this might be a quick fix if I was to copy them across direct to the sd card using explorer on the old laptop, so I can then import them as and when each is needed....because the zumo seems to be doing weird things at the moment ( even more so than before!)
such as telling me memory is full ( sorted I hope by deleting files as per other helpful threads on here) and
and insisting on recalculating the routes even thought he map version is the same on both zumo and pc(s) 2014.4)

I have also tried updating to the latest version 2015.2 and took the option to load mapset onto sd card (8gb so it should be enough for these and the routes)
as I hoped this would free up more space in zumo... assuming whne the new file is written to the card it will also delete the old file off the zumo internal memory

question
anyone else had this and did it work ?

I am sure someone must think the garmin way works well for them, personally I prefer the rather old fashioned view that I want to be a user not a software engineer delving into the strange world of garmin to try and make this do the basic stuff I want from a gps... ie show me where i am and show me the route I wish to follow to get to where i want to be!!!

Don't think there is a route property's option in BaseCamp, double click the route in your collection & you may find what your looking for.

If you send a modified route from your old laptop to the same named route on another pc it should overwrite it, the best way would be to rename the changed route.

Why do you think you should use Basecamp, if you're handy with Mapsource?

because mapsource is not supported any longer and I need to get to grips with basecamp....thanks for the interest!
Not sure what you mean by 'not supported' the maps are exactly the same as those in Basecamp, and get updated with every new version..

If you mean Garmin have stopped 'improving' it then that surely is a good thing?

Not sure what you mean by 'not supported' the maps are exactly the same as those in Basecamp, and get updated with every new version..

If you mean Garmin have stopped 'improving' it then that surely is a good thing?

not suported and not for xp either=- new windows 8 pc
all very interesting but rather than query motives is not preferable to answer the question raised??

thanks for your interest

not suported and not for xp either=- new windows 8 pc
all very interesting but rather than query motives is not preferable to answer the question raised??

thanks for your interest

But it's a serious answer, and Mapsource works fine on windows 8 as it did on XP

John

But it's a serious answer, and Mapsource works fine on windows 8 as it did on XP

John
maybe I missed something because I did not see the option to download mapsource onto new pc running windows 8 when setting garmin up by garmin website.....perhaps it was hidden away as with so much on this award winning site...............
not keen on struggling to get to grips with basecamp, but state of old pc did not give me much option

ah well, maybe garmin support will come thru when they respond.......

Russduke,

If you want mapsource on windows 8 download from garmin. Works on my 8.1 machine as does basecamp. Google search will take you to a garmin download.

maybe I missed something because I did not see the option to download mapsource onto new pc running windows 8 when setting garmin up by garmin website.....perhaps it was hidden away as with so much on this award winning site...............
not keen on struggling to get to grips with basecamp, but state of old pc did not give me much option

ah well, maybe garmin support will come thru when they respond.......

I don't think you can get Mapsource from Garmin any more but if you Google it there are other options.

John

To go back to the original post, you can access route properties by either 'right clicking' on the route listed in 'my collection' and then clicking 'open' or 'right clicking' on the route on the map itself, then clicking 'open'. Route properties are listed here, along with route directions, route options, graph, notes, and references.

Chris.

To go back to the original post, you can access route properties by either 'right clicking' on the route listed in 'my collection' and then clicking 'open' or 'right clicking' on the route on the map itself, then clicking 'open'. Route properties are listed here, along with route directions, route options, graph, notes, and references.

Chris.
thats very helpful indeed, basecamp format for this is actually an improvement over mapsource, which is encouraging!

gradually getting this sorted....using mapsource on me old laptop...which keeps crashing but hopefully will get tour sorted and then can focus on basecamp when we get back, its all a bit rushed at the mo
:type

On a Mac, running BaseCamp, the equivalent of 'Route properties' on a PC running Mapsource, lurks under 'Route Info'.

PS Russ, when asking several questions it's sometimes best to either separate them out into separate threads or cut out some of the chit-chat. Bods have to plough through your opening post to see what it is you wanted to find out. I guess that's the point Adventuredon was making.

On a Mac, running BaseCamp, the equivalent of 'Route properties' on a PC running Mapsource, lurks under 'Route Info'.

PS Russ, when asking several questions it's sometimes best to either separate them out into separate threads or cut out some of the chit-chat. Bods have to plough through your opening post to see what it is you wanted to find out. I guess that's the point Adventuredon was making.

yes, you are correct, the op was written in the heat of the moment......having come to realise the learning curve was headin back up steeply after coasting gently downwards for a while with mapsource!

point taken.

the route properties response was very helpful, the other issues will have to wait until after my forthcoming tour , when time permits to settle down and see wtf basecamp is about

garmin also have to tell me why my last update 2015.20 wont unlock, despite lifetime updates..................

I mean what would do with all my spare time if garmin worked in a user friendl;y way???

I succesfully downloaded 2015.20 to my Nav V and my Apple laptop, however the download to my Nuvi 3490 has failed multiple times. This was the advice received from Garmin:

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems with using Garmin Express. I am happy to assist you resolve this issue.

If you receive an error message while using the Garmin Express application, please try the following solutions in the order they are presented below.

Your computer must have the below requirements in order for Express to work:

Intel-based Mac running OS 10.7 or higher running in 64bit
1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
USB cable and a nüvi, zumo or dezl series device
May require up to 10 GB free disk space
Make sure the software of the Garmin device is up to date; please follow the attached guide in order to complete this process.

With the Express program itself, it is very important to use the latest version of the application. First, we suggest to completely uninstall express. You can uninstall this by following the steps below:

Open Macintosh HD.
Click on the Applications folder.
Drag the Garmin Express to the trash.

You can then reinstall express to ensure you are using the latest version by following the steps below:

Click http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.dmg
Double click the GarminExpress.dmg file
Double click the Install Garmin Express.pkg file
Click Continue
Click Continue
Click Agree
Click Install
Enter your username and password for your Mac
Click Install Software
You will now see the program run and install to the computer
Click Close
On your desktop, click Go
Click Applications
Double click Garmin Express
I would recommend removing the device, completely closing the application and then reopening it and re-associating the device. This procedure can fix a variety of issues. I have included information below on how to complete that process:

Click on device
Ensure your device is listed
Click remove device
Now that the device has been removed, we will need to close the application.

Click the Garmin Express icon in the top menu bar (black triangle).
Click Quit.
Disconnect the device from the computer.
Now reopen Garmin Express, reconnect your Garmin device to the computer and follow the onscreen prompts to associate the device to Express.

You should now be able to use Garmin Express without any issues occurring.

Have not tried it yet as I need to use the Nuvi and so cannot risk a complet ballsup just at the moment!!!!

yes i have successfully downloaded it to both pc and zumo, zumo works fine on new whole of europe maps all lovely in their new home on the sd card (nice option at long last!).
however on the pc, whioch far exceeds the spec garmin require, whilst downloaded and appearing in the list of map versions, it is locked. no amount of attempts via garmin website to unlock it work.....thus rather than waste any more of my life, I contacted garmin and asked them nicely ( an effort to be polite, all things considered) to sort their sh*t out!!!!
still waiting............

Back
Top Bottom