Nav V not shutting down when bike turned off

redout

Reaction score
I just put the recent map update onto the Nav V and ever since the unit will not power off when the bike shuts down. It just goes into sleep mode and still draws power from the bike. I had the bike parked up for 5 days and it drained the battery. Anyone know how to fix this?

I think this is how the Nav V normally works - it goes to 'sleep' but doesn't completely power down. As a consequence it slowly flattens its internal battery.

Are you sure the Nav V is responsible for your bike's battery going flat? My Nav V will sleep for several weeks before it's internal battery is flat.

It is only since the update that it does this. Before it shutdown completely i.e. When I started the bike the Motorrad screen would appear and it would load. Now the main menu screen pops on immediately. It never shut down. I don't have anything else connected so it has to be the Nav V that is draining the battery.

My Nav V lives on the bike, it has been stood several times for five or more days, no problem starting

Something has obviously happened for the Nav v to now stay on. I can't find anything in the settings. I'll try a master reset and see if it does anything

Its been known if the bike battery is low sometimes the canbus stays awake thinking the nav 5 is a charger and results in a flat battery try taking the bike for a long run or is the battery old

Just take the Nav V off the bike?

When you take the Nav V off the bike press and hold the off switch, it will eventually switch off 'property'.

Master reset hasn't changed anything. I shouldn't have to take the device off the bike. It worked perfectly fine before the update. Is everyone else's device that has the 2017 map update shutting down or is it just staying in sleep mode?

I have 2017 maps on two Nav V's running on two different motorbikes, both shut down OK.

Gonna try re-install the map. It is the last thing I can think of.

Before doing that, I would check and clean all the contacts between wherever it is you power the GPS device from, right up to the device itself. I'd include the battery in that, too.

It won't take long; if it works you'll be happy. If it doesn't, at least you'll be reasonably sure it's not a dirty contact.

Never got this resolved. It still does not shutdown and has drained the battery again. I have resorted to keeping a booster pack in the top box. Very infuriating.

Never got this resolved. It still does not shutdown and has drained the battery again. I have resorted to keeping a booster pack in the top box. Very infuriating.

Have you tried putting another Nav V on the cradle and see if that shuts down? If it works properly you then know the problem is not the Canbus not shutting down and is confined to your device.
Have you reinstalled the device software, you mentioned the map update but that is extremely unlikely to cause your problem. Is a booster pack in the top box less infuriating than taking the Nav V off its mount?

John

Its been known if the bike battery is low sometimes the canbus stays awake thinking the nav 5 is a charger and results in a flat battery try taking the bike for a long run or is the battery old

This certainly used to happen on my twin-cam with my Garmin's Quest Powered from the underseat socket - repeated flat batteries until I sussed it out :)

I never leave my Nav 5 on the bike when garaged so not noticed an issue with my LC TE.

This certainly used to happen on my twin-cam with my Garmin's Quest Powered from the underseat socket - repeated flat batteries until I sussed it out :)

I never leave my Nav 5 on the bike when garaged so not noticed an issue with my LC TE.

Had this in with the dealer yesterday and they can't fix it. All they know is that it's the Nav V and nothing with the bike.

I have never left a Nav V (or any other device) in the cradle of a dormant motorcycle for a protracted period and certainly not for five days. As such, I don't know what state a device 'rests' in whilst the motorcycle is dormant but it should be possible to find out. I suspect it's not fully turned off but simply, asleep.

From your other posts, you seem to have a Twin Cam 1200. I assume that the device's cradle is powered from the dedicated canbus socket up near the oil cooler / underneath the beak? If so, it should - after a reasonably short delay - power off when the ignition is turned off. If your device is not powered this way, how is it powered?

Going from memory, when you turn the bike's ignition off:

1. The device should stay live, the screen illuminated

2. After a short while, say between 30 seconds and two minutes, the screen should display a message that external power has been lost and that the device will shut down in 30 seconds, would you like to turn the device off or leave it on?

Again from memory, my bike displays this message twice. Once when I first turn the bike off, say when I arrive at a fuel station; if I touch the screen to instruct the device to say on, I get the same message again when the canbus power is lost, somewhere around a minute or two later. Do you get these messages? What do you do when you see the messages? If you do not get these messages, what do you see and / or do?

If I allow the bike to run through its 30 seconds to shut down, let the device to go blank and then remove it from the cradle, I think the device will have entered a sleep mode, not turned fully off. By this I mean I can reawaken the device again quite quickly by - from memory - just pushing the power button briefly. I think I do not have to turn the device on, by holding the power button down for a protracted period. What does your device do?

From memory, as I do not have a Nav V to hand, there are some choices as to how the device is to behave when running on its internal battery. Again from memory, these give the owner some choices as to how long the device stays powered for - running on its internal battery - if external power is not present. If my memory is correct and the choice setting are there, what are your choices set to?

In your case, despite what the dealer told you, I don't think it's very clear where the cause of your problem lies. As I said, I don't think I have ever left a GPS device attached to a dormant bike for anything like five days; so I have no way of knowing if it would flatten the bike's battery. Simple logic dictates that it shouldn't, ie Off should mean Off. But if Off actually means asleep, that is something different. If your dormant bike is somehow seeing the device as something (like the clock or an alarm) that needs to be powered - as it is in sleep mode - and / or it is illuminating the Nav V's screen for five days in the process, then indeed it may well flatten the bike's battery. In other words, it is a problem (maybe insurmountable) in that the device sleeps but the bike's canbus system keeps it ticking over in sleep mode.... ie. It's a problem in two parts, both interrelated.

Of course it could be as simple as being nothing at all to do with the GPS device at all but plenty to do with:

1. Your bike's battery being on its way out, unable to hold a charge and flattening itself

2. Something else - other than the navigation device - draining the bike's battery of power

Again, it should be easy to maybe find out via a very crude - and not completely conclusive - test. Turn the bike off, remove it from any battery tender (like an Optimate) and take the device out of its cradle. Leave the bike for five days. Turn the bike on and try start it. Does it start quickly and properly?

No? Well, it's not the navigation device itself that caused the bike's battery to flatten, as it's not been present.

Yes? OK repeat the test with the navigation device in. What happens this time? If the bike fails to start, then - whilst it's not conclusive proof that the Nav V device itself is solely the cause - you'll at least be on the way to finding out what the cause is.

Me? I'd just take the device off the bike when I was not planning on using it for several days, irrespective.

Back
Top Bottom