Green to Off Roading!!

(RIP) sherpa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm very new to green laning (thats why I keep falling off!)
I have a series of maps for the Peak District which a mate lent me to copy from but how do I know which of the routes are legal to ride?
Is there a website where I can check up on what's current or not?

Any help appreciated
Sherpa ;)

The only true way is to ask to see the council maps from the appropriate council area... or join an offroad group local to the area (Glossop 4x4 Group still count me as a member), or GLASS (Green Lane Association) or the TRF (Trail Riders Fellowship).

Mind you, how old are your mates maps? Some of the lanes I used to drive have probably been downgraded by now...

Thats why....

NeverRodeBefore said:
Mind you, how old are your mates maps? Some of the lanes I used to drive have probably been downgraded by now...

...I'm asking the question. A lot of changes have gone on lately so surely with the wonder of the www someone has created a site somewhere?

Sherpa

Sorry, but there is only one sure way, that is to visit the County Records Office at your local council office.

Or has someone has already suggested join your local TRF and speak to there ROW man.

BUT, don't be suprised if you don't get the answers that you are looking for straight away.

The problem is that people join the TRF, gain information on what lanes are legal and then ride the buggers to death.

Yes I agree that we are legally entitled to ride them, but sometimes you need to be sensible about which ones you ride and also how often you ride them.

More often than not, on a "sensitive" lane all it does is piss the locals off. Then they complain to the council who have to be seen to be doing something about it, and it ends up with a TRO.

Its a slippery slope thereafter I'm afraid.

Over the last 10 years while I was an active member of the West Midlands TRF, I have seen it happen all to often, Im afraid to say :(

Sadly trail riding will NEVER be what it was, I'm just happy that I enjoyed some of the good days when I did. Many years and many fond memorys.....:rob

Apart from all the crashing, and there were far to many of those as well :eek:

Back
Top Bottom